Recommend a basic on/off EDC high lumen (don't need any other modes)

Pioneer8387

Newly Enlightened
Like the title says, I would like a simple on/off light. I am sure they are out there.
Thanks

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to quantify your "high lumen" expectation with the min. number of lumens to get an accurate response. What size of light you want or are willing to EDC would also be help members to come up with suggestions.

Keitho

Enlightened
Might want to compare everything else to the Emisar D4V2--it will be very hard to find a quality LED tint at >3k lumens for less money, though it isn't strictly a single-mode light. It has a ramping UI; but, you can set the "floor" and "ceiling" of the ramp to the highest mode; once you're done, then 1 click, hold, 2 clicks, and 2-click-hold will all bring you to the same turbo level (between 3000 and 4300 lumens, depending on which LED you choose). You can still do different combos of 3 clicks and more to get to the rest of the very capable UI; but, for most situations, it is a $45 single-mode light that you can certainly EDC with either and 18650 or an even shorter 18350 tube. Once you find out that most situations don't demand more than 500 lumens, you can re-adjust the ramping floor and ceiling, and still have a very useful light with an intuitive way to change brightness (still always just a double-click to turbo).

In any pocketable light, don't plan on >1000 lumens for more than short-ish bursts--the more comfortable it is in the pocket, the shorter the high-output burst!

Pioneer8387

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all those recommendations. Those are just the size and price points I was looking at. Gives me lots to research. Why am I all of a sudden becoming so obsessed with flashlights..:)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Thanks for all those recommendations. Those are just the size and price points I was looking at. Gives me lots to research. Why am I all of a sudden becoming so obsessed with flashlights..:)

I will say, with the one I suggested, Malkoff MD2 with M91, if you purchase the hi lo ring that comes with it, low mode is available with a slight untwisting of the head. If you never unscrew the head, you would never know low mode is there. Awesome light that's very bright that can actually run for long periods of time without over heating.

Pioneer8387

Newly Enlightened
I will say, with the one I suggested, Malkoff MD2 with M91, if you purchase the hi lo ring that comes with it, low mode is available with a slight untwisting of the head. If you never unscrew the head, you would never know low mode is there. Awesome light that's very bright that can actually run for long periods of time without over heating.

So just to clarify, I would need to buy the Malkoff MD2 and then this (link) ??

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good EDC in my opinion would be the Nitecore P30. Unless you need extra run time you don't need the New P30. Yes, it does have the standard Nitecore side switchs to set modes and get to the strobe, etc, but it also has an On/Off switch on the tail, so once you select the mode you want to use, you can just switch it on and off from the tail. I ordered the holster, and it fit so nicely on my belt I really didn't notice it there.

TallSteve

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this will have the lumens that you are looking for, but we really like our Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. You can program it to be HIGH only with simple tail switch. It will run off of AA, AAA, or CR123A. I have tested ours with 3.7 Volt rechargeable batteries and it does work, but you lose the low functionality, and that battery is not on the list of approved batteries. This is a great EDC and a SHTF light as it runs on so many different sources of power. Great clip as well.

Latest posts