HDS Systems        

Thread: Mateminco MT35vn90 - Best Ultra Thrower Value R

Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 02-26-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Default Re: Mateminco MT90vn - Best Ultra Thrower Value R

Vinh did you use the host with the SST40 or SBT90.2 emitter. According to Martin and admitted by Astrolux, there is problem with the reflector geometry in the Astrolux FT03S SBT90.2. I wonder if the Mateminco version has the same problem with the reflector.
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 02-20-2020 at 01:14 PM.

It seems like the 2m, reflector center, visual test would reveal if there was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SKV89 View Post
    Vinh did you use the host with the SST40 or SBT90.2 emitter.
    MT90only somes with SBT90 LEDs.

According to Martin and admitted by Astrolux, there is problem with the reflector geometry in the Astrolux FT03S SBT90.2. I wonder if the Mateminco version has the same problem with the reflector. I dotn think so. Beam is very nice as is. But I will check to see if there is a diff in the reflector.

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

From what I've seen/heard the original FT03 SST40 reflector should have a tighter hotspot with flowery patterns in the corona. BTW you wrote SST90 by mistake. Also isn't it meant to be MT90 mini?
    Last edited by Th558; 02-21-2020 at 07:36 PM.

MT35vn90 gives 25Kcd with tighter focus than MT90vn

430Kcd bump to 455Kcd (Max Performance)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I'm really interested in this light. I've been reading about the Astrolux version with Anduril and it has a problem where it steps down on Turbo very quickly, around 20 seconds before the light is anywhere near warm.

Vinh does this version with Narsil have a similar problem?

Did the name change from MT90vn? ...and if so, is the the MT35vn90 mini? How does it differ from the MT90vn?

Sorry for all the questions but the model naming has thrown me off a little.

Flashaholic

Vinh, two quick questions.

1) Am I correct in understanding that this is a 26650 based light, and if so, what cell do you recommend for best performance?

2) Is there any possibility to have the light delivered with a simpler, more reliable UI than either Anduril or Narsil? Iíd like to give at least one of these lights as a gift to a relative who isnít a flashlight aficionado. Unfortunately, these user programmable UIs arenít suitable for use by non-experts, IMHO.
    --Semper Fi--
    Bill
    Proud owner of SLN #009

When do you measure the throw? On turbo there's a small step down in the first 5-10 seconds. Measuring at max ramp would be better for comparing reflectors. I also saw a small difference with the old reflector. Also what mod has been done to give it better performance. Have you removed the AR window on the emmiter?
    Last edited by Th558; 02-27-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Bumping this thread to see if Vinh can answer some of these questions in the last couple of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstyle View Post
    I'm really interested in this light. I've been reading about the Astrolux version with Anduril and it has a problem where it steps down on Turbo very quickly, around 20 seconds before the light is anywhere near warm.

Vinh does this version with Narsil have a similar problem?
    I turned off step down completely following the manual instructions
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Did the name change from MT90vn? ...and if so, is the the MT35vn90 mini? How does it differ from the MT90vn?

Sorry for all the questions but the model naming has thrown me off a little.
    I now use the MT35 host instead of the MT90 host as the MT35 seems to have a bit better focus/throw
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Vinh, two quick questions.

1) Am I correct in understanding that this is a 26650 based light, YES
    and if so, what cell do you recommend for best performance? I tested with Samsung 40T as its the best I got. I hear Golis 26650 is very good but I have none.

2) Is there any possibility to have the light delivered with a simpler, more reliable UI than either Anduril or Narsil? DriverVNX2 is available which I think is much simpler UI but it would add $70 in cost!

Iíd like to give at least one of these lights as a gift to a relative who isnít a flashlight aficionado. Unfortunately, these user programmable UIs arenít suitable for use by non-experts, IMHO.
    Simple Low high is all that is needed for the general
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Th558 View Post
    When do you measure the throw? On turbo there's a small step down in the first 5-10 seconds. I turn off Step down.

Measuring at max ramp would be better for comparing reflectors. I also saw a small difference with the old reflector. Also what mod has been done to give it better performance. Fatter 18 AWG wires, spring bypass, all connection cleaned for best contact, and beam tuning should it needs it.

Have you removed the AR window on the emmiter? I haev not delens this light. But I expect doing so will yield abotu 3% lumen and may be 4-5% intensity.

SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Bumping this thread to see if Vinh can answer some of these questions in the last couple of posts.
    Sorry for the delay...Busy busy busy
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Looking forward to seeing the numbers once you remove the lens from the SBT90.2.
    The bump in numbers is nice, but more interested in it reducing any green tint on lower levels that is reported with this LED.

Looking forward to seeing the numbers once you remove the lens from the SBT90.2.
    The bump in numbers is nice, but more interested in it reducing any green tint on lower levels that is reported with this LED.
    Its interesting with the sbt90.2. I have the FT03s and the K30gt and even though they use the same led, the tint on the FT03s has a really green tint but the K30gt has very little. Iím thinking Acebeam was able to acquire an sbt90.2 bin with a more desirable tint.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    Its interesting with the sbt90.2. I have the FT03s and the K30gt and even though they use the same led, the tint on the FT03s has a really green tint but the K30gt has very little. Iím thinking Acebeam was able to acquire an sbt90.2 bin with a more desirable tint.
    I think it might be the same LED but different reflector gives different tint. They are green on the lower levels in the K65GT too.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    I think it might be the same LED but different reflector gives different tint. They are green on the lower levels in the K65GT too.
    Maybe luck of the draw? The difference between my two sbt90.2 lights are pretty dramatic.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

De-lens makes it noticeably less green right?

I saw it mentioned by a member in one of the forums that the Delens-ing increased throw by 13% and increased lumens by 14% (my calculations from his numbers). While I was willing to wait for more information, from an optical standpoint, borosilicate glass in that thickness should only see an 6-8% loss in transmission loss and that's making the assumption it's borosilicate. In any case, I think those gains are overly optimistic and should be more thoroughly tested. Vinh posted more conservative numbers which made a lot more sense.

With regards to tint shift, it's unlikely that a single, optically coated window is causing significant levels of shift and more likely that it's just the LED and the current level at which it's being driven, or the tint lotteries which we know happen. Perhaps latter versions of the SBT90 will shift less at different currents. I'm guessing that if Vinh tested the same light with and without the window, both would show nearly identical tint. This LED doesn't have any green when it's being driven hard.
    Last edited by Patriot; 03-08-2020 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    Maybe luck of the draw? The difference between my two sbt90.2 lights are pretty dramatic.
    Yup there is always the tint lottery too
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by SKV89 View Post
    De-lens makes it noticeably less green right?
    I cant say for sure...If there is a diff its likely small.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    I saw it mentioned by a member in one of the forums that the Delens-ing increased throw by 13% and increased lumens by 14% (my calculations from his numbers). While I was willing to wait for more information, from an optical standpoint, borosilicate glass in that thickness should only see an 6-8% loss in transmission loss and that's making the assumption it's borosilicate. In any case, I think those gains are overly optimistic and should be more thoroughly tested. When Vinh posted more conservative numbers which make a lot more sense.

With regards to tint shift, it's unlikely that a single, optically coated window is causing significant levels of shift and more likely that it's just the LED and the current level at which it's being driven, or the tint lotteries which we know happen. Perhaps latter versions of the SBT90 will shift less at different currents. I'm guessing that if Vinh tested the same light with and without the window, both would show nearly identical tint. This LED doesn't have any green when it's being driven hard.

13/14 sounds steep...but who knows I have only tested a couple of samples so its hard to say. Next time I mod another SBT90 light I will measure before and after delens so we can have more data point. The good news is it seems just as reliable without the lens and there is an increased in performance. Free lumen I guess....
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Someone measured an output increase of 9.8% after removing the LED lens in a different light.

Quote Originally Posted by Th558 View Post
    Someone measured an output increase of 9.8% after removing the LED lens in a different light.

It's nice to see other people measuring their results, though it really sounds optimistic. I don't discount them however without knowing the whole story or the reliability of the person making the claims. Vinh posted some resent results for a K65GT in the SBT90 thread which I just copied and pasted below. It seems to confirm his initial findings in the 3% territory. I'm sure that of all people he'd love to announce even higher gains but it just hasn't been the case. I don't know of anyone who actually measures more lights than Vinh, so I've really come to appreciate his consistency.

"Measured @ 2s
    K65GT 5350L 844Kcd
    K65GT + DeLens Only 5500L 884Kcd

2.8% Lumen Gain
    4.7% Kcd Gain"

Vinh do you plans on building and testing the delens SBT90.2 in this light?