Calling all guitarists

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are, and always have been a number of people on CPF that play guitar, or have some kind of relation to the guitar. Yet, in all my time here I don't think there's ever been a dedicated guitar thread.

Well, there's one now! This is for anyone, hobbyist and professional alike who plays/collects/builds/teaches, or just enjoys guitar, bass, and related instruments like banjo, ukulele, mandolin, etc. Amp discussion also welcome. Doesn't matter what level you're at... show your love for what you do!

I've been playing guitar and bass, teaching, and occasionally performing for more years than I dare admit. Below is a picture of my lifetime companion, and me and a bass student totally ripping it up on "War Pigs" at a recital.

BTW... the flashlight in front of the red electronic thing is a Fivemega 14670 Minimag in gunmetal gray.

lp2.jpg

student.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Sultans of Swing thread.

😎

I always preferred the tone of the Stratocaster over the Gibson Les Paul. I had a fake strato as a kid and played it some with my fingers but never really took to becoming "a guitar player". It sounded pretty good playing Rolling Stones covers with it's sort of bass-y tone but not really being into the Stones that much I kinda grew bored with it. Back then nobody I knew was into surf music like the Ventures or **** Dale so I just placed it into a corner and one day gave it away.

I figure once retirement is a reality I'd like to learn to play Latin numbers on a 12 string accoustic.

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there Bimbo. :crackup: :wave: Another "chrome domed" rocker checking in. :p
My experience is that Gibson has better low end, is louder and can get straight up "crunchy" which is a good thing. I have owned 2 Les Pauls and an SG over the years but settled in with a 91 American Standard Strat plus, the tone on it soars cleanly but can get down right "crunchy with the push of a pedal. I love the wider flatter neck over the Gibsons.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I don't play any musical instruments, however I do have a guitar related story. Our main home is in the desert, and is a beautiful futuristic Mid-Century Modern built in 1958, and was Rock Hudson's old house.

A well well respected historian, and Sinatra's Pianist both told us many big celebrities of the era came to parties here, this house was designed as a party house, and Les Paul and Mary Ford were here a few of times as guests.

Now, I can't prove this to be 100% true, but I'm working on it along with other stories concerning the property.

Just kind of fun to think about what has taken place here, not to mention the two bullet holes I have found in different locations! Those must have been some great parties!

Also, we bought this house over twenty years ago, before the Mid-Century Modern craze, or "Mid-Mod," kicked in, and I was surprised by the amount of people who seem know about the house.

Best,

RedLED

P.S... Musicians always have the best parties!

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sultans of Swing thread.
You said the magic words! When I get some kind of functional recording/video setup going again I'll make a vid of me playing it with a shout out to ya'. Hopefully this year... lol.

I figure once retirement is a reality I'd like to learn to play Latin numbers on a 12 string accoustic.
Go for it! NEVER too late. A good portion of students have always been those beginning, or re-learning in their 50's through 70's, sometimes even 80's.

Hey there Bimbo. :crackup: :wave: Another "chrome domed" rocker checking in. :p
LMAO! Dude... we should start a long distance band called Bonehead and Bimbo. Or better yet, Bimbo and Bonehead. :p

My little 73 Custom. She's showing her age a little bit, like her owner. :D
She's beautiful! Thanks for sharing that. I just love cherry sunburst LP's.

Low end, check
LOL! Ya' gotta' be kidding me. And here I am thinking I'm all bad with my 7 string (the blue guitar in the OP). One of these days I really need an 8 string so I can finally play my favorite Meshuggah tunes. Love those guys!

this house was designed as a party house, and Les Paul and Mary Ford were here a few of times as guests.
Sounds like an awesome house! And as a side note, after all these years I just learned (or possibly was reminded... friggin' memory these days) that not only did Mary Ford also play guitar, she was good! Wonder if one or both actually played at your house.

P.S... Musicians always have the best parties!
You got that right!

gearfreak.next

Newly Enlightened
noob post count #2 (#1 presumed YTBM). Hello!

Hmmm. I haven't played electric in a while, but the last thing that I found myself thinking about 'if I ever got another' was a Hamer (?) LP DC (double cutaway), in awful gold-yellow-orange. Actually, the color and finish was rather nice, I just didn't like it match with the rosewood FB. A Maple FB is more versitile itr imo. A colleague wanted $300 which was out of the question at the time for something that was not 100% matching my needs.

Anyway... I do recal liking the neck, but can't recall why (wider?). I'd have been playing an '00 MIM tele at the time. Now I'll have to go look up old Hamers and see if that was what it really was.

* if possible once I am able to edit my settings, will change my forum name to prevent confusion, it seems there is already an active 'gearfreak' here.

As for amps, I am on the lookout for a Traynor Group 3 VC (ss) head. Probably considered 'rare'. I recall regretting selling it at the time (needed $) and I'd like to revisit one to find out why. I think I sent mine to TX.