Will McClicky upgrade on standard Z41 on SF U2?

akula88

Enlightened
q7Pk3VW.jpg

I set-up an SF P60 lego platform based on the U2 body, which was bored for 18650. NCR18650 and KeepPower 3600mAh fits on the body. P60 drop-in and bezel is mounted to the body through the Oveready LU60 P60 adapter.

I also ordered an OR tailcap with McClicky, but it doesn't seems to work with it, while a standard Z41 does. I tried to tweak the retainer on the OR tc, but to no avail. OR tc does work with my P2X Fury.

I'm really a clicky guy, so will a McClicky upgrade to the Z41 work?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it should. Can you check with a DMM that the switch actually functions? Failure is not unheard of.
Are the threads on the tail end of the tube anodised or clean metal?
I'm sure you can get this working.
P

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The oveready might be a little short and not making contact with the battery as well.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
OR tailcap I believe is longer in length (designed to close the gap between the tail cap and a 6p body) and may be bottoming out on the U2 clip attachment before the negative contact can be made.

Z41 can easily be upgraded to McClicky and shouldn't have any problems on the U2 body (I have one myself).

*Edit*

Just looking at your picture, it appears that Z41 you have on there is also close to bottoming out (tc touching the clip attachment). Wondering if the tail end threads have been shortened for some reason.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the case, an Aluminium Sump Washer of the correct diameter and about 1mm thick will bridge the gap. Get them on Ebay. Sorry, not sure of the size, someone will know.
P

akula88

Enlightened
Guys, Thanks for all the answers. This is why lovecpf
---

What are your techniques/tricks in removing the internal parts of the Z41 tail cap without damaging the original boot?

Most video says to punch / strike the boot with a hammer.

ETA -- Never mind. I have successfully used hammer-strike and boiling method to 'liberate' the innards, without much damage to the boot.

---
@Euroken -- the gold retainer ring on the tail was removed during the previous boring process. I had another U2 which still has the ring, but OR TC-McClicky still wouldn't work.

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, that explains it. Regardless, z41 mcclicky upgrade should be perfect for your needs! Good luck!

akula88

Enlightened
Finally made the confirmation that it does work. I 'temporarily' remove the McClicky module on the OR tailcap and replace it on the Z41. Perfect!

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally made the confirmation that it does work. I 'temporarily' remove the McClicky module on the OR tailcap and replace it on the Z41. Perfect!

There are many places that sells full kits (i.e. Craig at Illumn is a great guy to deal with).

Glad it works!

akula88

Enlightened
My basic problem is that being not in CoNUS, it currently takes 5-6 weeks for a mail parcel to arrive at my local PO. :( Thus I have to be doubly sure that it really any ordered parts does fit or work... :)