The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: So I just stumbled across the Minion

  1. #1
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    276

    Default So I just stumbled across the Minion

    What do you guys think of this light? Good bad indifferent and if you were to blow that kind of cash what configuration would you get.
    Let me know folks.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,718

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoholic View Post
    What do you guys think of this light? Good bad indifferent and if you were to blow that kind of cash what configuration would you get.
    Let me know folks.
    Gets very hot, and a little bit difficult to enter the programming menu as a twisty.

    Lots of limitations and tradeoffs involved, for the small size.
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-21-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  3. #3

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    there is a review here if you have not seen it yet:

    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...x-RC-Minion-R1

    I have no personal minion experience nor have I seen the light discussed before

    looks like a cute little lump, could make a good backup battery carrier for your HDS's ;-)

    the review mentions it requires an external screen based device, to change the preset modes
    I bricked a Boss trying to use my iPhone to do that
    not a fan of the UI's programmability requirements

    by contrast, your HDS can be reprogrammed without need for an external electronic device
    imo the HDS programmability is much more useable on the fly

    I put a first priority on having a High CRI LED in any light I use..

    I would want to know if there is a High CRI option for the Minion?
    Last edited by jon_slider; 02-22-2020 at 06:45 PM.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* Eric242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    [-Mad in Germany-]
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    I mentioned a few points in that review. Also, sometimes really small is too small in my experience. The minion simply is too small for my taste. Also, the highly polished finish looks really nice... untill you touch it and it is covered in finger prints.
    Last edited by Eric242; 02-23-2020 at 02:50 AM.
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested


  5. #5
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    there is a review here if you have not seen it yet:

    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...x-RC-Minion-R1

    I have no personal minion experience nor have I seen the light discussed before

    looks like a cute little lump, could make a good backup battery carrier for your HDS's ;-)

    the review mentions it requires an external screen based device, to change the preset modes
    I bricked a Boss trying to use my iPhone to do that
    not a fan of the UI's programmability requirements

    by contrast, your HDS can be reprogrammed without need for an external electronic device
    imo the HDS programmability is much more useable on the fly

    I put a first priority on having a High CRI LED in any light I use..

    I would want to know if there is a High CRI option for the Minion?
    I believe there is a Nichia 219 high cri option

  6. #6

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    If my Hanko's get boiling I can only imagine this.....

  7. #7
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,665

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoholic View Post
    I believe there is a Nichia 219 high cri option
    yes, there are some 219Cs out there, also a few XPG2 3000k 90 CRI

  8. #8
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    8,436

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    I've got a XPL 5000K Minion Mule on a neck lanyard. It's a awesome little light. On lower modes it doesn't get hot at all and puts out plenty of light. Great camping light can work hands free with the light on while wearing the necklace. Pull it off of the necklace via magnetic cap and stick it on metal via magnet. Love mine.

    Like Archimedes said, I cannot get mine into programming mode to save my life, but I got it how I like it. Red/low/med/high with no memory.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

  9. #9
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    276

    Default Minion R1

    Ok folks
    I just acquired a Minion R1 dispatched in 2017 from a super CPF member.
    Now I have a hell of a time to get this thing into programming mode. Is my dexterity gone at 49 whatís next Iíll have to ask for help to open a pickle jar ? Someone chime in please, should I just hand this thing to my kids, so they can realize I am pissing away their inheritance , to program it. Need help

  10. #10
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,718

    Default Re: Minion R1

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Gets very hot, and a little bit difficult to enter the programming menu as a twisty.

    Lots of limitations and tradeoffs involved, for the small size.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  11. #11
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,718

    Default Re: Minion R1

    I think these threads will be merged, when I am able to get to a PC to do so.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  12. #12
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,718

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoholic View Post
    .... Let me know folks.
    (merged)
    ... is the archimedes peak

  13. #13
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    (merged)
    My bad. Thank you.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,718

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoholic View Post
    My bad. Thank you.
    No worries, simply helpful to keep the same topic from being fragmented into a bunch of different threads.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  15. #15

    Default Re: Minion R1

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoholic View Post
    I just acquired a Minion R1
    congratulations!
    post pics, tell us what LEDs it uses

    how do you like it
    how are the stock modes

    and no, dont let the kids touch it :-)

  16. #16
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,285

    Default Re: Minion R1

    Who makes these? Didnít mention the price in the reviews or did I miss it?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    14,718

    Default Re: Minion R1

    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Who makes these? Didnít mention the price in the reviews or did I miss it?
    Lux-RC Labs; they start at $495 or so ?
    Last edited by archimedes; 03-11-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* Eric242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    [-Mad in Germany-]
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: Minion R1

    And apparently he doesnīt make them anymore. I think I recently read that the batch, from which the last lights are available right now, would be the last minion batch.
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested


  19. #19
    Flashaholic* Thetasigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Minion R1

    I had one for a while, neat little piece but it really needs to be mounted, not much use without either the necklace and a wrist-mount as it is too small to comfortable hold on to.

  20. #20
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,285

    Default Re: Minion R1

    Found it arch. Holy hell! Them are some nice lights.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  21. #21
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    8,436

    Default Re: Minion R1

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    not much use without either the necklace.
    Agree, very small and slippery, very thin. The previous owner of mine dropped it and the lens busted. Serge replaced it.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

  22. #22
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    So dexterity prevailed got it setup just the way I like it for now.
    Programming is a snap once you get it into programming mode.

  23. #23
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    8,436

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoholic View Post
    So dexterity prevailed got it setup just the way I like it for now.
    Programming is a snap once you get it into programming mode.
    How did u get into program mode? I used to be able to on mine, but haven't been able to for the last year or so.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

  24. #24
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    How did u get into program mode? I used to be able to on mine, but haven't been able to for the last year or so.
    It took me 50-60 tries it is painfull. Set up the 3rd position at 4 watts and wish I would have picked 3 watts but it will have to do right now. Lol

  25. #25
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California (Bay Area)
    Posts
    1,321

    Default So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Hmm, I never had an issue entering programming on my Minion. Probably did it dozens of times playing around. Itís the same principle as using a clicky switch (like on the BOSS) except youíre using twists to make contact. All it is a simple [.. - .. - ...-.] or 223 where the periods represent a turn+unturn and the dash is a 1-second pause. A lot of people make the mistake of re-actuating the flashlight too quickly; it should be a solid pause. And once you get it into programming, you can reconfigure it to the 112 pin to get into it easier next time too.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,665

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Hmm, I never had an issue entering programming on my Minion. Probably did it dozens of times playing around. Itís the same principle as using a clicky switch (like on the BOSS) except youíre using twists to make contact. All it is a simple [.. - .. - ...-.] or 223 where the periods represent a turn+unturn and the dash is a 1-second pause. A lot of people make the mistake of re-actuating the flashlight too quickly; it should be a solid pause. And once you get it into programming, you can reconfigure it to the 112 pin to get into it easier next time too.
    If nothing else, practice makes perfect. I've reconfigured my minion, but a mechanical switch makes it a ton easier (other light with 371D).

  27. #27
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    8,436

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoholic View Post
    It took me 50-60 tries it is painfull. Set up the 3rd position at 4 watts and wish I would have picked 3 watts but it will have to do right now. Lol
    Wow you are more patient than me lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Hmm, I never had an issue entering programming on my Minion. Probably did it dozens of times playing around. Itís the same principle as using a clicky switch (like on the BOSS) except youíre using twists to make contact. All it is a simple [.. - .. - ...-.] or 223 where the periods represent a turn+unturn and the dash is a 1-second pause. A lot of people make the mistake of re-actuating the flashlight too quickly; it should be a solid pause. And once you get it into programming, you can reconfigure it to the 112 pin to get into it easier next time too.
    Ah theres my problem! I've been 2-2-2ing like my BOSS, I forgot its 2-2-3!!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

  28. #28
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    8,436

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Finally got into program mode!!! Mine is set up for 1-1-2. Awesome! Thanks for the help.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

  29. #29
    Flashaholic* F250XLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I can see the Windmills...
    Posts
    2,349

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    I checked out the review linked in post #3, what is this light it is pictured with?

    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

  30. #30
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,665

    Default Re: So I just stumbled across the Minion

    Looks like an Emisar D4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •