So I just stumbled across the Minion

Arcoholic

Enlightened
What do you guys think of this light? Good bad indifferent and if you were to blow that kind of cash what configuration would you get.
Let me know folks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
What do you guys think of this light? Good bad indifferent and if you were to blow that kind of cash what configuration would you get.
Let me know folks.

Gets very hot, and a little bit difficult to enter the programming menu as a twisty.

Lots of limitations and tradeoffs involved, for the small size.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a review here if you have not seen it yet:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?446725-Review-Lux-RC-Minion-R1

I have no personal minion experience nor have I seen the light discussed before

looks like a cute little lump, could make a good backup battery carrier for your HDS's ;-)

the review mentions it requires an external screen based device, to change the preset modes
I bricked a Boss trying to use my iPhone to do that
not a fan of the UI's programmability requirements

by contrast, your HDS can be reprogrammed without need for an external electronic device
imo the HDS programmability is much more useable on the fly

I put a first priority on having a High CRI LED in any light I use..

I would want to know if there is a High CRI option for the Minion?

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mentioned a few points in that review. Also, sometimes really small is too small in my experience. The minion simply is too small for my taste. Also, the highly polished finish looks really nice... untill you touch it and it is covered in finger prints.

Last edited:

Arcoholic

Enlightened
there is a review here if you have not seen it yet:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?446725-Review-Lux-RC-Minion-R1

I have no personal minion experience nor have I seen the light discussed before

looks like a cute little lump, could make a good backup battery carrier for your HDS's ;-)

the review mentions it requires an external screen based device, to change the preset modes
I bricked a Boss trying to use my iPhone to do that
not a fan of the UI's programmability requirements

by contrast, your HDS can be reprogrammed without need for an external electronic device
imo the HDS programmability is much more useable on the fly

I put a first priority on having a High CRI LED in any light I use..

I would want to know if there is a High CRI option for the Minion?

I believe there is a Nichia 219 high cri option

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I've got a XPL 5000K Minion Mule on a neck lanyard. It's a awesome little light. On lower modes it doesn't get hot at all and puts out plenty of light. Great camping light can work hands free with the light on while wearing the necklace. Pull it off of the necklace via magnetic cap and stick it on metal via magnet. Love mine.

Like Archimedes said, I cannot get mine into programming mode to save my life, but I got it how I like it. Red/low/med/high with no memory.

Arcoholic

Enlightened
Minion R1

Ok folks
I just acquired a Minion R1 dispatched in 2017 from a super CPF member.
Now I have a hell of a time to get this thing into programming mode. Is my dexterity gone at 49 what's next I'll have to ask for help to open a pickle jar ? Someone chime in please, should I just hand this thing to my kids, so they can realize I am pissing away their inheritance , to program it. Need help :)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Minion R1

Who makes these? Didn't mention the price in the reviews or did I miss it?

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

And apparently he doesn´t make them anymore. I think I recently read that the batch, from which the last lights are available right now, would be the last minion batch.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had one for a while, neat little piece but it really needs to be mounted, not much use without either the necklace and a wrist-mount as it is too small to comfortable hold on to.