Pelican 7600 - my thoughts

wosser

Newly Enlightened
Notes on the Pelican 7600 - A Q&A for prospective buyers...
(or "answers to questions nobody asked about the Pelican 7600 flashlight")...

Q: What's the main white beam like?
A: Comparable to the Klarus XT2CR at short range. Gets softer at longer distances due to the orange-peel reflector. It is a subtle (in other words a very fine pattern) orange-peel which retains a hot-spot for quite some range.

Q: Can you control the brightness of the red or green modes?
A: No. They are separate from the main white light's mode system. There is a good reason for this... Red and green modes are for signalling purposes, and are designed to be used for communication. Red and green modes are not for heat-of-the-moment tactical advantage (although red is useful for map-reading and close-up work).

Q: Can you do Morse code signalling with this light?
A: Yes absolutely, as long as you use either red or green. White is no good for Morse because the mode selection algorithm would get in the way (and be insanely bright). Luckily the red and green modes are likely bright enough for any in-field Morse communication needs without giving away your position too much.

Q: What's the build quality like?
A: It's built like a tank. The flashlight is considerably heavier and a bit larger than rival lights in its category (Klarus XT series for instance). The machining and finish is very impressive. I think the pocket-clip is excellent but perhaps could be a little tighter by default (easy enough to bend yourself if you want to). It's a lens-down pocket carry. Strike bezel is not removable but is "business-like" :).

Q: Does it tail-stand?
A: Yes, although it is slightly top-heavy when doing so.

Q: Can I lock-out this light (for safe backpack/pocket carry)?
A: Yes. Turn the mode ring over to the "charging" mode, pressing the tail switch has absolutely no effect in this mode. One might consider this a "safety catch" as it is so easy to engage. Does take both hands to move the mode ring quickly and easily, but at least it doesn't take much strength or dexterity - if your hands are cold for instance. Can be done easily with one hand if you are in no rush.

Q: Can I lock-out this light by loosening the tailcap?
A: No. The tail spring is very long and so are the tailcap threads (both great features for a robust light). Five loosening turns is not enough to lock-out this light!

Q: Suitable for pocket-carry in standard jeans?
A: Yes, IMO. There are no sharp edges on this light to wear a hole in your pockets, it's a comfortable light to pocket carry.

Last edited:

wosser

Newly Enlightened
I've owned this light for about a year and a half and use it almost every night. I didn't know they sold another one. Your answers are right on the money.
Cheers

Thanks for confirming my findings :) I'm pretty impressed with this flashlight.

Do you use the proprietary Pelican 18650 cell that came with it or do you prefer to use double primary CR123's? I was wondering if there was any noticable performance difference.

hsa

Enlightened
I was curios about how that would work but I keep forgetting to try it. It seems like the high setting on the light would hit the 123s pretty hard. If it were going to be stored in a car or something, that's the way to go. Again, I use mine on most nights. If I remember to try it I'll post it here. Mostly I'm too lazy and the usb is too convenient.

Greencatcher

Newly Enlightened
I have had the Pelican 7600 light for two years, it's a great light in the woods with the red or green. The white light is 944 lumens with high, strobe, medium, low with a very good beam.
I use the proprietary Pelican 18650 battery, I have not used the 123 batteries in it, also I like the battery indicator which works great. You have 5 different settings that you can chose from, I just left it with factory settings which works for me. I had to send my light back to Pelican when it would come on strobe first and not high, great customer service and they sent me a new light which I have not had any problems with it. It's a very nice light and the quality is top notch.

wosser

Newly Enlightened
had to send my light back to Pelican when it would come on strobe first and not high

Glad to hear they were willing to help you with that. Did your defective light have that problem out of the box or did it take time to become apparent? Had mine a few days now and no problem so far. They do have a nice beam too, you're right.