Surefire Aviator Optics Replacement

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Forgive me if this has been tackled somewhere in the past, but I could not find any threads pertaining to this specifically.

I am interested in replacing the current optic.

Does anyone have any insight on this procedure (ie. removing the bezel etc), and/or which optics would fit.

I was looking at these:

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/p60-optics/

But there doesn't seem to be any info on dimensions or compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you talking about the current Aviator model? The one with the twist head to change between white and secondary color? If so, I have not seen anything with regards to swapping out the optic. You'd be the trailblazer. :)

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Are you talking about the current Aviator model? The one with the twist head to change between white and secondary color? If so, I have not seen anything with regards to swapping out the optic. You'd be the trailblazer. :)

Yup! That's the one.

I have never modded any flashlight, so I am not too excited to hear the new lol.

However, I think I read that SF uses glue on all their bezels, is that right?

Assuming I have the bezel tool, is it safe to boil the bezel and take it off?

If anyone has any experience opening one of these heads up, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
'Cracking' the SF loctite very often comes down to whether it was applied heavy or light that day. :-/

My technique has been to use basic hose clamps over two pieces of rubber underlay; then take a couple of wrenches to the hose clamp screws.

CRKDMike

Enlightened
'Cracking' the SF loctite very often comes down to whether it was applied heavy or light that day. :-/

My technique has been to use basic hose clamps over two pieces of rubber underlay; then take a couple of wrenches to the hose clamp screws.

Oh wow. Ok. Thanks for the tip! That can be done without heating the bezel first then?

CRKDMike

Enlightened
I guess the end result I am looking for is a wider beam pattern. I am second guessing going about this by replacing the optic entirely.
I don't want to put a sleeve diffuser on it because of the added bulk to the head. Maybe I can find an alternative to diffuse the beam without ruining the warranty.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just from looking at my two Aviators (RD and AM), it looks like it'll be very difficult to remove the retaining ring that holds in the optic. It looks like its very well glued in. And let's say that you did get the optic out, you'd probably have to find an alternate optic (with the preferred beam shape) that is of the same size and works with the LEDs.