Noobie ? on Convoy S2+

LED Monkey

Enlightened
You will probably see some flashlight companies recommending to remove the batteries if the light will be stored and not used for an extended time period, which is pretty subjective. I have batteries in all of my flashlights at all times and have not had any problems with that. What I don't like to do is store the lights for an extended time with li-ion batteries charged to 100% just because it's not the best thing for li-ion battery health.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will probably see some flashlight companies recommending to remove the batteries if the light will be stored and not used for an extended time period, which is pretty subjective. I have batteries in all of my flashlights at all times and have not had any problems with that. What I don't like to do is store the lights for an extended time with li-ion batteries charged to 100% just because it's not the best thing for li-ion battery health.

Mechanical switches, as opposed to E-switches, aren't 'as susceptible to parasitic drain.

I have 3 S2+ lights and I keep charged up cells in all of them.

If my OCD happens to be flaring up, I might loosen the tail cap from time to time, but not often.

Chris

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mechanical switches, as opposed to E-switches, aren't 'as susceptible to parasitic drain.
Unless there's something that bypasses the switch to draw current (like a back-lit switch?), 0 parasitic drain in fact. As for most flashlights that have a non-electronic rear switch (including the S2+).

But more importantly: this takes [failure of LED / driver electronics] out of the equation when the light is switched off. So effectively light off = PASSIVE storage tube for the battery. This safety aspect is one reason I usually prefer mechanical switches. I simply don't like the always-on / standby / "deep sleep" aspect for devices. Even less for 'simple' devices like flashlights.

More dangerous would be to leave these lights tailstanding for an extended period and/or unsupervised while on at 100% setting (or perhaps even 40% ?). With 3A driver an S2+ may just overheat as your hand doesn't provide the heatsink + monitoring function in that case (and no thermal sensor in the driver). :caution: So when tailstanding for extended period in a higher power level, check temperature from time to time.

carrot

Flashaholic
It is too bad you did not order the Convoys with Biscotti firmware installed. The 3/5 mode Convoys are fine, decent lights, but with Biscotti you open up a bunch of configuration options to make it work exactly how you want it, which turns the Convoys into superlative lights.

If you order any more Convoys you should just order direct from Simon (the manufacturer of Convoy) at his AliExpress store. You can specify exactly how you would like the light to be configured, including with or without Biscotti firmware.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Over the last 6 weeks or so, I've landed a few of these. Some have 4-mode only running a 5000mA and others with the 7135 running at 1400mA and 2800mA. SST20, SST40 and 219c in various temps.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
5A in an S2+? Wow... :cool: Curious minds would like to know what driver was used for that?

Yes I'm aware there's some direct drive setups out there that push crazy # of amps through a single LED or Li-ion. It's just that an S2+ is rather small host for pushing 5A. Never mind that most stock drivers use AMC7135 and thus multiples of 350 mA (up to 8x that = ~2.8A). Not something to leave unsupervised while on full power, that's for sure! :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't know the name of the driver, but these are the specifics.

73c3bf04f777fdc8958d3d1da35e1798.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
5A in an S2+? Wow... :cool: Curious minds would like to know what driver was used for that?

This is a Convoy offering. The new 5A driver is marketed as an SST-40 driver. It first came in a 4-mode as pictured below and now comes in a 12-mode programmable that works just like Biscotti on the 7135 version.

There is kind of an alternate version that came out earlier called the ramping driver but it is/was unpopular because it was hard to understand how to use.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This is a Convoy offering. The new 5A driver is marketed as an SST-40 driver. It first came in a 4-mode as pictured below and now comes in a 12-mode programmable that works just like Biscotti on the 7135 version.

There is kind of an alternate version that came out earlier called the ramping driver but it is/was unpopular because it was hard to understand how to use.
Interesting. That may explain some things that had been confusing me. It appears that I have units that have all those driver variations covered.