3157 alternative (non amber)

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. Could be an oversight on my part.

I'm looking to improve the DRL and Tail Lamp bulbs in my GMT800 05 Sierra. I understand that 4114k is the correct bulb for the DRL. Is the 4114k superior to a 3457K? Where can I find the best versions of both?

I was hoping to use a Honda part made by Stanley but have only found them in Amber which I'll use for my front turn signals.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
"Superior" in what sense? Longer life? Higher intensity? And, which Honda part are you getting for your front turn signals?

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
Safer is what I'm after.

From what I gather the 3457A Honda 34906-SJC-A02 is the optimum bulb for front turn signal use.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I guess when you say "safer" you're asking for brighter brake lights. You could use a 3357/3457 (same except 3457 has a high-heat base) but its lifespan will be on the short side in a brake light application, so you'd want to pick a long-life version. As for which long-life version to pick...you'd probably do about as well as possible with a plain old Sylvania. Speaking of which, you could try these, because the build of the taillights on that truck is at least theoretically compatible, but you'd need to carefully check by comparison.

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I assume the LL would be recommended because the brake lamp bulb is shared with the tail lamp that is on for hours. Would a different bulb be recommended for the reverse lamp and rear turn signal? What about the DRL bulb?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thank you. I assume the LL would be recommended because the brake lamp bulb is shared with the tail lamp that is on for hours.

The LL is recommended because the regular-life version will need replacing in a short time in brake light service. The tail light function is done by that same bulb, but a different filament...but that one's got a longer life, too, in the LL version.

Would a different bulb be recommended for the reverse lamp and rear turn signal? What about the DRL bulb?

The 4114K (very-very long life bulb) was designed for prolonged usage in the DRLs of these trucks, so that would be the incandescent bulb to use. You can try the white version of those Sylvania Zevo bulbs in both of these applications, though in both places you'd have to proceed carefully and do the comparative test I already linked.

The rear turn signal should already be bright enough with standard bulbs, do you find it too dim or something? Remember, brighter is not necessarily always better.

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I've got those exact LEDs in my reverse lamps now and would like to switch to a quality incandescent bulb. I also do not want to try them in my signals as I presume I'd need to install some kind of special flasher for LED use. I'm not opposed to a quality LED brake lamp bulb though.

Just looking to improve where I can/if I can. All my bulbs are very old.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, the best/brightest bulb you can put in the reverse lamps would be a 3357/3457. If you are sure you want the rear turn signals to be brighter, use the same 3457LL bulbs as in the brake lights.