Pocketable Thrower w/ Minimal Spill?

chase9

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! Noobie checking in here. I have spent the better part of a couple days using the search feature resulting in info that is both plentiful and perhaps a bit dated. I am on the hunt for a small flashlight that has minimal spill with a tight beam (pardon the lack of proper terminology).

For reference, I have a Nitecore MH20GT. While it is a nice light, it has too much spill for my application. What recommendations would you suggest for something that is similar in size, but has less spill?

Thank you all in advance!

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do suggest the latest model Surefire Aviator. Compact size. Dual color. Surprisingly tight beam pattern with little spill. It's really nice and might be exactly what you're looking for.

chase9

Newly Enlightened
Matt4350, I was looking into LEP lights, but it seemed a bit overkill for my application. I would like the option of different light modes.

Poppy, I'll look into the maglite, thank you for the suggestion!

badtziscool, the SF Aviator looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. It just might fit the bill although it is a bit pricey :)

If anyone else has some recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Keitho

Enlightened
In very, very general terms, for single-LED reflector lights, the bigger the physical size of the LED, and the smaller the reflector, the more spill. Some LED are particularly small, and/or good at putting more of their light straight ahead. Since the OP didn't indicate a budget or prefered source, I'll start with the light that I personally use that seems to have a shockingly small amount of spill, a P60 host (Solarforce LT2 stainless, at the moment) with a P60 drop-in module that has an Osram W1.1 LED in it. P60 hosts can be had for $10-$350, usually fit in large-ish pockets; I got my thrower drop-in from skylumen--that one is currently selling for $130.

The other route for eliminating spill is to not get a reflector light--zoomies and aspheric lens lights have almost imperceptible spill, though that kind of beam is something that not everyone enjoys.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt4350, I was looking into LEP lights, but it seemed a bit overkill for my application. I would like the option of different light modes.

Poppy, I'll look into the maglite, thank you for the suggestion!

badtziscool, the SF Aviator looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. It just might fit the bill although it is a bit pricey :)

If anyone else has some recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

It is a bit pricey, but sometimes you can find deals on them. I've been able to get both of mine for around $160 - $170 each.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you can find an old SureFire E1B, those are great for what you describe.

Long since discontinued, and with what would now be considered modest levels of (typically cool-tinted) output, you might be able to find one second-hand for very reasonable cost.

They are also very robust and durable, which is a nice bonus.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How far do you want to see? Day use (as in outdoors in sunshine) or attic type uses?
How much do you want to spend?
Does battery type matter?
Shirt pocket carry?

X2 on the aa minimag, or perhaps the aaa sized minimag. Maybe even a zommie from places like Home Depot.
The 200 lumen SureFire E1c was a great thrower too. There should be some available at Amazon. Runs on a CR123.

chase9

Newly Enlightened
In very, very general terms, for single-LED reflector lights, the bigger the physical size of the LED, and the smaller the reflector, the more spill. Some LED are particularly small, and/or good at putting more of their light straight ahead. Since the OP didn't indicate a budget or prefered source, I'll start with the light that I personally use that seems to have a shockingly small amount of spill, a P60 host (Solarforce LT2 stainless, at the moment) with a P60 drop-in module that has an Osram W1.1 LED in it. P60 hosts can be had for $10-$350, usually fit in large-ish pockets; I got my thrower drop-in from skylumen--that one is currently selling for $130.

The other route for eliminating spill is to not get a reflector light--zoomies and aspheric lens lights have almost imperceptible spill, though that kind of beam is something that not everyone enjoys.

Thanks for all of this information, it's quite helpful for a noobie. I have some researching to do. Work has not been very productive today!

chase9

Newly Enlightened
How far do you want to see? Day use (as in outdoors in sunshine) or attic type uses?
How much do you want to spend?
Does battery type matter?
Shirt pocket carry?

X2 on the aa minimag, or perhaps the aaa sized minimag. Maybe even a zommie from places like Home Depot.
The 200 lumen SureFire E1c was a great thrower too. There should be some available at Amazon. Runs on a CR123.

This light will be for outdoor use. The exact application that this will primarily be used for is surf fishing at night. The place that I fish often draws a crowd and sometimes it's almost shoulder to shoulder. The light is necessary to make sure lines are not tangled. When someone hooks a fish, everyone works together to help navigate the fish through the spider web of lines in the water. The reason for wanting a light with less spill is two fold, to not blind the person next to you and to get as little light in the water as possible. There are other occasions when I am fishing in a more secluded area and the rod is left in a holder. I am sometimes far away from the rod so a light with throw is needed to check the rod tip and line without having to get close.

I don't really have a budget if I can find the perfect light, if there is such a thing. I imagine under $400 would be good.

I don't have any preference for battery type.

The flashlight will likely be in a jacket pocket.

Lastly, thank you to everyone who has offered suggestions. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One thing perhaps to consider is diffused light. A light that can be very bright but not blind those around you. At least for when you are close to the fishing line.
But yeah, when you need distance lit up a thrower is great.

Shoulder to shoulder, wow. Sounds like bird nest purgetory.

Under $400 is a substantial budget. I will step back and let the high end light folks take it from here. But I will also reccomend the Elzetta Bones flashlight.

Last edited:

chase9

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions bykfixer. It can be like combat fishing at times, especially when a large school comes through and you have 20 people all hooked up at the same time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I fished at Outter Banks pier once with my brother in law when TW's bait and tackle shop called a few people to announce the stripers were seen near there. Good gosh!! They told a few who told a few and it was what I imagined it was like in a battle during the revolution with fishing polls. Like I said, "once".

Trouble was the wind was blowing so hard, the wind resistance of 100lb test line was tugging my 4oz sinker out of the water. It was also the day I knew I could someday cast with a baitcaster without bird nesting it. This one guy was casting his lure on a baitcaster straight into the wind without issue. My hero.

My brother in law uses a Rayovac Indestructable 2aa when he does that at night. Ugly sticks, Shakespere reels, Trilene line and big ole white tail jigs.

chase9

Newly Enlightened
Hah, that's exactly where most of my fishing takes place, down in the outer banks. It's not for everyone, but I can't get enough.

I'm open to any more recommendations if anyone has some. So far, it would appear I need a SF Aviator, E1B, or perhaps something custom, maybe a zoomie or aspherical? I don't know...

Thanks!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2 would be a good one.

Good luck on your search!

Pops

archimedes

Flashaholic
I find this to be a particularly useful subtype of flashlight too.

These are my two favorites (out of many I've tried) ...

RYDQvVN.jpg

And sorry for recommending discontinued items, but it is (apparently) not a popular category :shrug:

chase9

Newly Enlightened
Those lights look nice, Archimedes. What's that one on the bottom?

I have an email started with V54. I'll inquire about the emisar since I have no ideas what they are :)

Thanks!