L4 Lumamax LED Upgrade?

Michael J. Spangler

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if there is a drop in upgrade or new head for a Surefire L4 Lumamax (120 lumen) on the market?
I love this light but it's a little lacking in output for the amount of juice it burns.
By modern standards my E2D which is a 500 lumen model (older) blows it out of the water with the same batteries.
I figured there must be some upgrades available
Thank you!

nbp

Flashaholic
The L4 has a sealed head, so there is no drop-ins for it. Any mods to that light will require more in depth changes to the electronics, emitter etc. You could LEGO a different head on it but the head is most of the price of the light so you may as well just get another light to supplement the L4 you already have in my opinion.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have an original Surefire L4. I just ordered a Lumensfactory E series LED head for it.
The KL1 or KL4 will work. Both have the same electronics. They just have a different look.
You can pick your your LED color option (Cool White, Neutral or Warm) and HA3 color (Black or Natural).
I ordered the 2.7-9v to run 2xCR123's.

Last edited:

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I modded one myself back in the day. It was a pig to open and required sealing the head in a baggie before boiling it to soften the thread lock, I then needed two strap wrenches to open it up! I replaced the led with a different one with a huge die (I can't remember what exactly) and was very impressed with the wall of light that resulted. It's pretty dim by today's standards though.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't there a Malkoff head which screws onto an L4/E2 body that lets you run Malkoff drop-ins? I don't recall the part numbers or specs right now.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's the VME head. Screws on to any E series's head and can run some pretty high lumen Malkoff Dropins.

nbp

Flashaholic
Keep in mind the L4 body was designed for CR123s so you are limited as what cells you can use. It's been a while since I had one - I can't recall but you might be able to fit a 17670 in it.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
A protected AW 17650 will fit if you still have some. Maybe also other brands might fit too (like the Eagletac protected 17650). If not, 16650 definitely will.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for upgrading the KL4 head I think it isn't worth the effort since Lumensfactory has several e-series heads with modern LEDs and electronics (KL1, KL4 & Teardrop).

1996alnl2

Newly Enlightened
Keep your KL4 head and put it away safely somewhere, It's a gem and some day you will go back to it.
Order a Lumens Factory E-series head in NA finish with a Nichia LED of choice, I chose the 4000K..screw it onto your L4 body. It will look like a stock Surefire L4 but the color retention and output will blow you away and the best part is it works great with KeepPower rechargeable 16650 cells.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep 16650 work great in two cell surefires. Much more capacity then 17650's.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Yep 16650 work great in two cell surefires. Much more capacity then 17650's.
That doesn't make sense to me. Surely, all other things being equal, a 17650 should have more capacity than a 16650 as it is physically larger. What am I missing?

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
A 17650 should/could have more capacity but sadly no. They are not very popular or used as much so there hasn't been much work to up there capacity. The 16650 is much much more popular and therefore, has been increased over the years to surpass the bigger 17650.

Helenawe

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6P with a Malkoff M61. I use a Sanyo 16650 and get over two hours run time. That is much better than than any RCR 123s that I have tried. Since the M61L draws half the power or less I would think you should get very good run time.