Andúril user's manual

Hi, hope this is the right forum. I took the standard text-file of the Andúril user's manual and formatted it, I think it is much easier to read. I added a few minor extra bits and attached a slightly enhanced User Interface Map. Again, nothing I wrote or drew up, just easier to read and refer to.

I'm see I'm not able to post any attachments, so it can be found at:

http://drmemory.com/Anduril_User_Manual.pdf

carrot

Flashaholic
Nicely done. This makes it a lot easier to skim over.

If I may suggest, it would be nice to have a table of contents listing all of the headings.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your few minor extra bits and slightly enhanced User Interface Map!

I recently got two single 18650 lights with Anduril, and it is going to take me a while to get into the swing of things.

I'm see I'm not able to post any attachments
Please take a look at CPF Supporter

You are welcome. :candle: It took me a while too, reading the text manual really helped. It all boils down to click for on and off. Click twice from ON for turbo. 4 clicks to lock and unlock. 3 click-hold from OFF for the special features -- I love the Lightning Storm! 2 clicks to cycle thru them. Get all that going by memory, look up how to set the thermal limits and other rare events.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Great, will print it out to take with me.

Click twice from ON for turbo.
I really like the Andúril UI for its flexibility. With setting max ceiling = 100% and manual memorization, I have managed to set the UI to "Click once from OFF for turbo", and in contrast to other UIs, it does not step down time based, only temperature based (so you are getting always the max possible output over time).

Last edited:
Great, will print it out to take with me.

I really like the Andúril UI for its flexibility. With setting max ceiling = 100% and manual memorization, I have managed to set the UI to "Click once from OFF for turbo", and in contrast to other UIs, it does not step down time based, only temperature based (so you are getting always the max possible output over time).

Now, I just reformatted the document, but I have looked at how the SW works. I am under the impression that setting the ceiling to the max (150) is not the same as turbo. I believe turbo actually uses a FET to bypass all the current sources and goes direct to the battery.

I will have to play with it. Do note that how much brighter turbo will be for a particular flashlight depends a whole lot on the LEDs and the Li-ion cell voltage and internal impedance. On some lights turbo is way above Hi, but lights with smaller cells and low voltages won't change a bit when turbo is activated -- the system is already maxed out.

Anyway, interesting, I will test for this, perhaps make a note in the manual.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, I just reformatted the document, but I have looked at how the SW works. I am under the impression that setting the ceiling to the max (150) is not the same as turbo. I believe turbo actually uses a FET to bypass all the current sources and goes direct to the battery.

I will have to play with it. Do note that how much brighter turbo will be for a particular flashlight depends a whole lot on the LEDs and the Li-ion cell voltage and internal impedance. On some lights turbo is way above Hi, but lights with smaller cells and low voltages won't change a bit when turbo is activated -- the system is already maxed out.

Anyway, interesting, I will test for this, perhaps make a note in the manual.

Here is where it might be difficult as Anduril is often customized on a per model basis meaning Anduril on one light will behave different than on another. Anyways, turbo is designed to skip right to the end of the ramp. 150/150. Spot where the light switches to FET exclusively and PWM 255/255 is also almost always found at ramp spot 150

Here is where it might be difficult as Anduril is often customized on a per model basis meaning Anduril on one light will behave different than on another. Anyways, turbo is designed to skip right to the end of the ramp. 150/150. Spot where the light switches to FET exclusively and PWM 255/255 is also almost always found at ramp spot 150

Interesting. I just tested my E07 and my D4SV2. I set them up for maximum range on both the smooth an stepped ramps. By which I mean, I gave it zero clicks for ceiling of 150, zero clicks for floor of zero. Ran both up to full brightness, then double clicked. The turbo turned on with both and they got way, way brighter. So I am not seeing turbo at level 150.

Note one; I verified that no clicks enters 150. I set the ceiling to 100, and the ramp stopped at 100. I then set the ramp again with no clicks, and the ramp is back to full ceiling.

Note two; on lights with smaller cells with a higher internal impedance, or cells not fully charged, there will not always be a difference between turbo and level 150. The cell might not even be putting out enough current to run the 150, so selecting turbo has little to no effect. My FW3C has no boost for turbo unless the cell is freshly charged.

Last note; I think you will find 150 to be a regulated light output level, whereas turbo fades with the cell voltage.

If you think you are in turbo, double click with a freshly charged cell?

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I just tested my E07 and my D4SV2. I set them up for maximum range on both the smooth an stepped ramps. By which I mean, I gave it zero clicks for ceiling of 150, zero clicks for floor of zero. Ran both up to full brightness, then double clicked. The turbo turned on with both and they got way, way brighter. So I am not seeing turbo at level 150.

Note one; I verified that no clicks enters 150. I set the ceiling to 100, and the ramp stopped at 100. I then set the ramp again with no clicks, and the ramp is back to full ceiling.

Note two; on lights with smaller cells with a higher internal impedance, or cells not fully charged, there will not always be a difference between turbo and level 150. The cell might not even be putting out enough current to run the 150, so selecting turbo has little to no effect. My FW3C has no boost for turbo unless the cell is freshly charged.

Last note; I think you will find 150 to be a regulated light output level, whereas turbo fades with the cell voltage.

If you think you are in turbo, double click with a freshly charged cell?

I'm more curious than anything Turbo and ramp position 150 should be the same. Key phrase is should, not is. I am looking now and D4SV2 and E07 are models where TK has not posted the source for (if she ever will). In previous versions I would expect ramp level 150 and turbo to be the same, but for these lights? :thinking:

I'm more curious than anything Turbo and ramp position 150 should be the same. Key phrase is should, not is. I am looking now and D4SV2 and E07 are models where TK has not posted the source for (if she ever will). In previous versions I would expect ramp level 150 and turbo to be the same, but for these lights? :thinking:

Also tested my FW3C and level 150 isn't turbo.

I really think the "general" definition of "turbo" is to connect the LED directly to the cell, typically via a FET.

If you look at the UI diagram, first note that Turbo jumps above the ceiling. Also note that the labels on the left say Regulated, Hybrid, and Direct Drive. I don't think these are necessarily aligned with the Ramp, as Direct Drive would be only the very, very top of the ramp shown. Anything below Direct Drive (Turbo) is Hybrid, some current sources on, likely one PWM-ed.

From a practical viewpoint, would you really want the light to step from power level 149 to turbo as you ramped up to 150? There would be a dramatic change, Turbo is not going to be just a tad brighter than level 149. And if ramping to 150 went into Turbo mode, the heat protection would also shut off. You really want to ramp up and shut the protection off?

I'm thinking that Turbo will always need to be a separate mode or selection, not the top of a regulated output ramp.

OK, I was wrong as further testing as just shown.

My "note 1" in my posting was in error, and I hadn't carefully read the manual. When configuring the ramp floor and ceiling, entering zero clicks keeps the old value. To get a ceiling of 150 you must enter one click. To get a floor of 1 you must enter one click.

So when I thought my ceiling was set to 150, it was still at the default of 120. Now that I have properly set the ceiling to 150, there is no change with turbo, 150 is turbo.

What I wrote about turbo being a separate, unregulated function is still true for many lights. But for these lights 150 is turbo.

Sorry for any confusion I caused. I'll add a small note to the manual at http://drmemory.com/Anduril_User_Manual.pdf.

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
I just picked up a couple Noctigon KR4 lights, they have a newer version of the software than my Emisar D4, D4s and D4v2 and I'm slightly puzzled about the regulation. On my Emisar lights I recall that the little blip you would get when ramping up signified that the light was leaving regulation and the Noctigon's that I now have don't do that. From what I recall I had set the Emisar's to ramp up to the highest level possible that still ran in full regulation and I liked that. Can someone explain how to do that on this Noctigon KR4 and what happened to the little blip when ramping? Thank you in advance!

stephenk

Enlightened
I just picked up a couple Noctigon KR4 lights, they have a newer version of the software than my Emisar D4, D4s and D4v2 and I'm slightly puzzled about the regulation. On my Emisar lights I recall that the little blip you would get when ramping up signified that the light was leaving regulation and the Noctigon's that I now have don't do that. From what I recall I had set the Emisar's to ramp up to the highest level possible that still ran in full regulation and I liked that. Can someone explain how to do that on this Noctigon KR4 and what happened to the little blip when ramping? Thank you in advance!
Ramp max 120/150 on the KR4 and other lights that use that firmware is the highest regulated level. I do see a blip when is reaches 7/7 on stepped brightness.

carrot

Flashaholic
Unlike the D4v2, the KR4 comes equipped with a 5.0A linear driver and is regulated up to the 120th level.

to further muddy the waters, the D4v2 can come equipped with the same linear driver (it is white, and has chips on the spring side) and would run the same blip-free software as the KR4.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I composed this outline a while back...
1628830977308.png