Malkoff        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: E2XT Heads

Default Re: E2XT Heads

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    Mine won’t work either. Fish do you have some anodizing removed on your e70 threads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope, the way it came from oveready. The thread have ano

Ordered a Cr123 body and XT head will run a 16340, who cares about runtime!!

Quote Originally Posted by daffy View Post
    Thatha boy. It's going to look great!!

Yeah dont confront me when i'm taking my dogs out now, have this in one pocket and BGv1 in the other.

That will definitely cause temporary/permanent eye damage. That's a fantastic deterrent

Quote Originally Posted by Fish 14 View Post
    That will definitely cause temporary/permanent eye damage. That's a fantastic deterrent
    Not my intention but smaller lights are much easier and quicker to deploy, had a few minor incidents so i try to go at night only and not in places like parks.

You could run the direct-drive head on an IMR 16340, it would handle the current draw. Runtime would only be about 5 minutes but for the purpose you're carrying it, could still be sufficient. You may also want to consider converting the McClicky to momentary-only operation for a defensive use light.

FWIW, a SF E-series 2-cell body with a Lumens Factory 2-way long clip carries very nicely clipped to the inside of a front pants pocket. I also find the longer 2-cell body is easier to control with one hand. A KP 16650 2500mAh cell provides 15-20 minutes of runtime with the E2XTD head. There's also a good selection of tailcaps for the E-series, I'm using the LF Tactician clone with the McClicky modified to momentary only.

I slide this light into my left front pocket when venturing out in the dark. Along with a Malkoff 1CR123/VME/M61L that maintains permanent residence in my right pocket, I have my EDC illumination needs well covered.

Last edited by NH Lumens; 04-11-2020 at 07:14 AM.

That Prometheus boot is a nice little added touch

Quote Originally Posted by Fish 14 View Post
    That Prometheus boot is a nice little added touch
    Thanks.

I spent some time experimenting to get just the right feel for consistent activation. Under the boot on top of the switch I installed an O-ring (on the raised portion, but not shown in this photo) that helped to achieve the feel I was looking for;

The O-ring fits the ID of the boot and fits snugly on the raised portion of the switch. It seems to make the deflection of the boot more consistent when pressed. In combination with the Prometheus boot, the switch now has a nice, tactile feel with good control of light activation, even if pressed off center.

@Fish 14, @Grizzman: so far, the only Oveready setup that works for everyone is the E70 + spring washer + DPC tailcap with clip, right? Other than that, the 16650 body works as well, but no consistent results on MDX tailcap, and Prometheus clip.

Quote Originally Posted by QMT93 View Post
    @Fish 14, @Grizzman: so far, the only Oveready setup that works for everyone is the E70 + spring washer + DPC tailcap with clip, right? Other than that, the 16650 body works as well, but no consistent results on MDX tailcap, and Prometheus clip.
    This is correct, as far as I know. The E2XT (and all other Malkoff heads) have only shown to be absolutely reliable if the spring washer in installed, and a Surefire Z41 (or clone) tailcap is used.

I haven't had any issues at all with the AA MDC body running a 14500 L-Ion, a 1 x CR123 MDC body running a 16340, Arisaka 600 series bodies with either Z68 or their momentary tailcap, or any Surefire 2 x CR123 bodies with any Surefire tailcap.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 04-11-2020 at 03:36 PM.

I guess we'll have to stay with that setup for 18650 until further knowledge.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I think it's our best bet.

I considered the Malkoff 18650 body, but have also experienced E adapters remaining in the head, and being a PITA to remove, so I took the Oveready option due to my past experience with their products.

FYI, I have an OR E35 Body on order that I plan on running with an Orbtronics IMR 18350 1200mAh cell and a Z41 tailcap. Obviously the anodizing will need to be removed from the head threads using the Easy-Off method to establish electrical contact. I will post results as soon as I have them.

In the meantime a now-discontinued OR 3P clone body, SF clicky tailcap, Z44 bezel with Ti black bezel ring, EDC+ X60LT P60 XP-L drop-in and a Malkoff grip ring, powered by the Orbtronics IMR 18350 1200mAh cell which provides about 40 minutes of runtime (drop-in turns off at 2.75v);

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    FYI, I have an OR E35 Body on order that I plan on running with an Orbtronics IMR 18350 1200mAh cell and a Z41 tailcap. Obviously the anodizing will need to be removed from the head threads using the Easy-Off method to establish electrical contact. I will post results as soon as I have them.

In the meantime a now-discontinued OR 3P clone body, SF clicky tailcap, Z44 bezel with Ti black bezel ring, EDC+ X60LT P60 XP-L drop-in and a Malkoff grip ring, powered by the Orbtronics IMR 18350 1200mAh cell which provides about 40 minutes of runtime (drop-in turns off at 2.75v);

Nice light

With th anodizing removed from the bezel threads, the E35 works like a charm, rides nicely in a front pants pocket too. My 3P-Z Combat Light;

A bit more experimentation with this build;

I installed a TorchLAB ZeroRez Shorty Z41 Brass Insert in an old Z41 tailcap and gave it a try. The interesting thing about this conversion is that with the tailcap backed-off just a touch from constant-on it will work momentary as well. I experimented with the cap on different bodies and with different cells and it consistently works reliably as a momentary switch due to the play in threads between the body and the tailcap, providing the tailcap is adjusted correctly (not difficult to do). Double O-rings on the body under the tailcap ensures it does not inadvertently move when set for momentary operation. Additionally, the tailcap very slightly compresses the O-ring under the lanyard loop which helps ensure reliable momentary operation.

Of course the ZeroRez insert provides other major benefits including being able to use a longer, higher capacity 18500 2000mAh protected cell, high current capability (a true advantage with the E2XTD direct-drive head) and greater reliability with the deletion of the switch components. It might be my imagination but the output seems stronger as well due to the elimination of all resistance in the switch.

That's a sweet little setup.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Thanks RD! I'm always experimenting and just when I think I've found the ultimate set up for my needs, I find something better. This one is going to be tough to beat.

I installed a TorchLAB ZeroRez Shorty Z41 Brass Insert in an old Z41 tailcap and gave it a try. The interesting thing about this conversion is that with the tailcap backed-off just a touch from constant-on it will work momentary as well. I experimented with the cap on different bodies and with different cells and it consistently works reliably as a momentary switch due to the play in threads between the body and the tailcap, providing the tailcap is adjusted correctly (not difficult to do). Double O-rings on the body under the tailcap ensures it does not inadvertently move when set for momentary operation. Additionally, the tailcap very slightly compresses the O-ring under the lanyard loop which helps ensure reliable momentary operation.

Of course the ZeroRez insert provides other major benefits including being able to use a longer, higher capacity 18500 2000mAh protected cell, high current capability (a true advantage with the E2XTD direct-drive head) and greater reliability with the deletion of the switch components. It might be my imagination but the output seems stronger as well due to the elimination of all resistance in the switch.

Agree its a doozy!

Burn time is 18-25 minutes on a 700mAh RCR16340, naturally output dims a little as voltage drops but still lots of light.

Burn time is 18-25 minutes on a 700mAh RCR16340, naturally output dims a little as voltage drops but still lots of light.

You can more than double the run time with little-to-no penalty in size. You'll probably see a slight increase in output as well with the ZRS;

You can more than double the run time with little-to-no penalty in size. You'll probably see a slight increase in output as well with the ZRS;

Need 18mm host body?
    Last edited by daffy; 08-03-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Need 18mm host body?
    https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e35-body-ha-black/

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/...t-twisty-15mm/ (installed in a Z41 style tailcap)

Some further experimentation with this direct-drive pocket-rocket.

Since the ZRS insert made a difference, I wondered if a high-current IMR cell might do the same. The Keeppower 18500 2000 mAh cell is rated for a maximum continuous discharge current of 3.8 amps. Malkoff states the current draw of the E2XTD head is 3.5+ amps, so I thought the protected cell might be a bottleneck. Would the Keeppower IMR 18500 1100 mAh cell rated at 10 amps continuous draw and lower internal resistance make a difference?

The OR E35 body is designed for longer protected cells so I needed to figure out a way to extend the head contact spring without over-stretching it. The solution was a brass "Chicago" machine screw that could be inserted in the coils of the head spring. A bit of adjustment to the spring along with filing the head of the brass screw flat (for maximum contact) and shortening the length of the screw worked out perfectly. The brass screw fits in the coil spring securely and extends the reach far enough that the IMR flat top cell makes solid contact.

First test was to take it to the dark backyard, tighten the tailcap down and let it rip for about a minute. As I suspected, the head seemed to make use of the lower resistance and higher current capacity of the IMR cell. Though I could not do a side-by-side comparison, it was evident by how quickly the head heated up over the one minute of operation that is was cranking harder than before. No doubt this head thrives on lots of current!

With it still totally dark in my back yard, I broke out my Hound Dog Super to do a side-by-side comparison. The SHD is on a MD4 body powered by a pair of Keeppower 18650 3500 mAh protected cells. As you know, it is rated by Malkoff at 75,000 lux and the E2XTD is rated at 70,000.

With fully-charged cells in both, I alternated between the two illuminating the distant tree line and focused entirely on the reflected brightness in the center of the beam. My immediate impression was that the E2XTD was brighter, and illuminating different sections of the tree line confirmed that it does indeed have a slight edge over the SHD in terms of intensity at the center of the beam (throw). Of course the SHD has a MUCH wider beam and brighter spill as one would expect with a 1700 lumen light vs. a 650 lumen light.

The direct-drive Malkoff E2XTD head is a real hot rod. Supply the juice and it will perform. For a light of this size that rides so comfortably in a pants pocket, it's really quite amazing. For a light dedicated to flash-n-dash self-defense purposes, the short runtime is a non-issue.

And this is for certain: with dark-adapted vision I wouldn't want to get smacked in the eyes with it.

A group shot of my two EDCs;

VME, M91B, OR E35, SF clicky powered by an Orbtronic IMR 18350 1200 mAh on the left.

The retina-searing E2XTD, OR E35, ZRS modified SF Z41 powered by an Keeppower IMR 18500 1100 mAh on the right (current regulation is for sissies).

Grip and lanyard rings by Lumens Factory.

Flashaholic*

Those are nice setups.

Thanks Andy!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678