Wuben        
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E2XT Heads

Default Re: E2XT Heads

Just remove the anodizing from the E70 head theads. Easy enough to do, no washers required.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    Just remove the anodizing from the E70 head theads. Easy enough to do, no washers required.
    What do you use?

EZ Off oven cleaner (yellow can). If you Google it you will find info.

The thought certainly crossed my mind. I've already got the cleaner.

I might have missed this. but did you guys phone /email Gene re these issues?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    The thought certainly crossed my mind. I've already got the cleaner.
    Takes a little time and patience. I removed the anodizing from an old SF body to make an E2HT head work on it.

Use electrical tape to protect the body, leaving only the threads exposed. Apply the Easy Off with a Q-tip, and keep reapplying every few minutes. It will take at least half an hour, but the anodizing will come off. You can speed the process along with a small stainless steel wire brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post

Bill
    I thought changes were being made a little while ago. There was another member having similar issues with a slightly different setup and he contacted Gene about it. Apparently the issues didn't get resolved

Quote Originally Posted by Fish 14 View Post
    It's useless to run a e2sht on anything other than a 3500mah 18650.
    Huh, been running mine on a 16650 2500mAh cell just fine.

In regards to the E2XT vs. the E2XTD, I'll take the extra 150 lumens and 15,000 lux of the direct-drive. For my use, the extra runtime and wider voltage range of the E2XT is of no value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post

Bill
    I have not contacted Gene, since I haven't verified anything yet.

Since the E70 body requires contact between its front surface and the interior rear of the head, it's bizarre that it would include a shoulder that could possibly limit the insertion distance of the body into the head.

My E70 body should be arriving within a couple hours, so there's no guarantee that an issue exists....could be simple tolerance stacking that doesn't exist with my units.

My previous posts will be updated with what I learn.

Huh, been running mine on a 16650 2500mAh cell just fine.

In regards to the E2XT vs. the E2XTD, I'll take the extra 150 lumens and 15,000 lux of the direct-drive. For my use, the extra runtime and wider voltage range of the E2XT is of no value.

16650 works, but a single cr123 doesn't do it for me

@Fish 14, @Grizzman: Thank you guys! This is a lot of information for a novice like me to keep track, so I'll be slowly reading your answers. @Fish 14: Your setup looks amazing.

I've been reading and comparing around in the last few days, and have come up with three setups for the E2XT(D) heads. Hope I can add some ideas:

I) E2XT(D) head + 18650 to E-series body by Malkoff (standard)

II) E2XT(D) head + Oveready E70 body https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e70-body-ha-black/ (Tail is a Surefire P series size ==> 1' outer diameter?)
    1) Tail cap:
    a) Copper McClicky Upgrade Kit for Z41 Tailcap https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=355
    b) Malkoff Tripcap Tailcap Switch for MDX body (MDX and E70 outer diameter are both 1', so maybe compatible? If this works, the regular MDX tailcap would work too?) https://malkoffdevices.com/products/malkoff-tricap-tailcap-switch-for-md2-md3-or-md4

2) Clip
    a) Prometheus HDS Titanium clip (I believe this is the one sold on Malkoff as well) (again, assuming E70 and MDX outer diameter are both 1') https://darksucks.com/collections/titanium-pocket-clips-1/products/hds-titanium-clip
    b) 2-Way Clip for Surefire 6P, 9P, G2, G3, 6PX, G2X, Fury, M3, M3LT, M4 (⅞í internal diameter, not sure if it can fit E70) https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=449

Last edited by QMT93; 04-10-2020 at 01:09 PM.

My advice, stay clear of the MALKOFF 18650 body. It has its short comings. I have my E2SHT on a oveready E70 with a oveready dpc tailcap.

My advice, stay clear of the MALKOFF 18650 body. It has its short comings. I have my E2SHT on a oveready E70 with a oveready dpc tailcap.
    What did gene every say about this ?

You emailed him no?
    ..Isaiah 54:17...

Quote Originally Posted by wicky998 View Post
    What did gene every say about this ?

You emailed him no?
    I did. I haven't gotten a response yet.

Oh, great! Thanks! I just read your post again and found your setup.

The "Oveready Brass Contact Washer" you mentioned in your setup is the "Beryllium Copper Spring Washer (19/22mm)" here https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/...spring-washer/, right?

So the full set up would be E2XT(D) + Oveready E70 body + Oveready DPC Tailcap + Beryllium Copper Spring Washer (19/22mm)?

That's correct, that washer is vital to the set up.
    You want the 19mm washer

Yay! Thanks!

The Oveready E70 body has been delivered. I inserted a KeePPower 3500 mAh 18650, screwed a McClickied Z41 onto one end in preparation for testing.

Surefire KE2-A, E2D LED Defender (200 lumen), LX2, and E2E incandescent heads all work, as long as a button top battery is used. A very small gap exists between the body's shoulder and the head.

E2T, E2HT, & E2XT do not work. The shoulder of the body makes contact with the head before the front edge of the body reaches the head's negative contact surface.

The E2 Scout head (anodized threads) does work. A small gap exists between the body's shoulder and the rear of the head.

The E2ST (anodized threads) head works after I stretched the head's spring. A small gap exists between the body's shoulder and the rear of the head.

A VME with M61 workes after I stretched the drop-in's spring. A small gap exists between the body's shoulder and the rear of the head.

It certainly seems that either the head depth is too long, or the body thread length is too short. As was already found, using a spring washer will effectively shorten the internal depth of the head. All of the heads that don't work have bare threads, so removing a portion of the anodizing from the body's threads should complete the circuit for all of them. Unfortunately, due to what HA is, part of the aluminum will also be removed from the threads.

Since the spring washers are placed into the head, unlikely to fall out on their own, and will allow the heads to work on any E-series body, they're a better solution.... in my opinion.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 04-10-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks for the update @Grizzman!

Also, do you think I can use the Copper McClicky Upgrade Kit for Z41 Tailcap https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=355 with the Oveready E70 body?
    Last edited by QMT93; 04-10-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Yes, you should be able to use the copper McClicky upgrade kit with a Z41 on the E70. I used Oveready's version, and it's most likely that they are identical.

As long as a Dark Sucks clip isn't installed, both Malkoff tailcaps work properly. Unfortunately, if there's a chance that a light will need to be carried, it has to have a clip....so for me, they aren't acceptable.

It only took a few seconds to shorten a standard Malkoff tailcap enough for it to to work, while still holding the clip tightly enough.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 04-10-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Here's my E2SHT on a oveready E70 with a DPC tailcap. Make sure you order the oveready brass contact washer or the head won't receive the ground needed to function.

An idea - I like the E70 solution but I don't like the fact it has no knurling. I would try tightly stacking O-rings on the grip section to give it some purchase. You would need quite a few but might be worth trying.

@Grizzman: Thanks for the update, sir! That really helps.

@NH Lumens: Rubber bands may be easier?

They also make adhesive traction pads.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by QMT93 View Post
    @Grizzman: Thanks for the update, sir! That really helps.

@NH Lumens: Rubber bands may be easier?
    Grip tape bud
    It's removable without leaving behind any damage.

Yep thatís what I was thinking of.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by QMT93 View Post
    @Fish 14, @Grizzman: Thank you guys! This is a lot of information for a novice like me to keep track, so I'll be slowly reading your answers. @Fish 14: Your setup looks amazing.

I've been reading and comparing around in the last few days, and have come up with three setups for the E2XT(D) heads. Hope I can add some ideas:

I) E2XT(D) head + 18650 to E-series body by Malkoff (standard)

II) E2XT(D) head + Oveready E70 body https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/e70-body-ha-black/ (Tail is a Surefire P series size ==> 1' outer diameter?)
    1) Tail cap:
    a) Copper McClicky Upgrade Kit for Z41 Tailcap https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/pro...il.php?pid=355
    b) Malkoff Tripcap Tailcap Switch for MDX body (MDX and E70 outer diameter are both 1', so maybe compatible? If this works, the regular MDX tailcap would work too?) https://malkoffdevices.com/products/malkoff-tricap-tailcap-switch-for-md2-md3-or-md4

All of the tailcaps you listed above will work with the e70.

2) Clip
    a) Prometheus HDS Titanium clip (I believe this is the one sold on Malkoff as well) (again, assuming E70 and MDX outer diameter are both 1') https://darksucks.com/collections/titanium-pocket-clips-1/products/hds-titanium-clip
    b) 2-Way Clip for Surefire 6P, 9P, G2, G3, 6PX, G2X, Fury, M3, M3LT, M4 (⅞í internal diameter, not sure if it can fit E70) https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=449

The clips you listed above will NOT work with the e70 because of the anodized threads. No clip will work if fitted between the body and tailcap. Use a Dpc tailcap for a clip option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Yep thatís what I was thinking of.
    It's great stuff, the rubberized type is better than the sand paper type. It doesn't flake off and end up in your pocket.

Mod please create a new thread if this is out of place!
    Also, another thought: Given the problematic adapter of the 18650 to E-series body, currently, the better route is
    E2XT(55kcd, 500 OTF lumens)/ E2XTD (70kcd, 650 OTF lumens) head ($189.99)
    + Oveready E70 body ($57.00)
    + Oveready Custom Aluminum DPC Tailcap with Silver Clip ($93.00)
    + Oveready 19mm Beryllium Copper Spring Washer ($6.00)
    = $345.99

The competition:
    Modlite handheld/WML 18650 PLHv2 (54kcd, 1350 OTF lumens) + 2xKeepPower 18650 + Nitecore D2 Charger: from $330.00 to $345.00, depending on clip option.

Modlite handheld/WML 18650 OKW (69kcd, 680 lumens) + 2xKeepPower 18650 + Nitecore D2 Charger: from $350.00 to $365.00, depending on clip option.

In my humble opinion, in terms of money,simplicity, and structure/design, Modlite offers more. What is in favor ofMalkoff in this case?

Customer service, a proven track record, you can pick up the phone and talk directly to Gene, superior build quality. I can keep going if you need me to

@Fish 14: Ah, nice one!
    @jrgold: Thank you, sir! More info to the thread!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast