E2XT Heads

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Recieved my E2XTD head today and compared it to the E2 Hyper Throw on a wall in a dark room. It is easily twice as bright as the E2HT with a slightly smaller hot spot, maybe 80% the size of the E2HT. Interestingly, the spill is significantly brighter than the E2HT.

Will post some more impressions after I try it out tonight.

e2xtd-1.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh that doesn't look bad at all on the E series. Little bigger in diameter but she's nice. And yes please let us know what she's capable of outdoors

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. Just got mine in as well. E2 xtd
5caf2882f95617627dba9496cf4bd097.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

NH Lumens

Enlightened
A couple of dark backyard observations;

The E2XTD's 70,000 lux vs. the E2HT's 35,000 is obvious: the beam of the E2XTD certainly appears twice as bright and has greater throw/reach.

The inner spill of the E2XTD is definitely brighter as well, which is welcome. The outer most section of the spill appears brighter as well.

Comparing the E2XTD to the Hound Dog Super, the E2XTD is the equal to the HDS in terms of throw/reach, as expected due to their similar lux ratings. However, the HDS's 1,700 lumens swamps the E2XTD's 650 lumens in the breadth of the hot spot and brightness of spill.

The E2XTD on a 16650 or SF E-series body sure packs a lot of punch in a compact, EDC size package.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
some beamshots, please. :)

I'll try to set up somewhere that will best illustrate the beams. That may be after the weather warms up a bit.

The beam is best described as a narrow but intense hot spot with five distinct, concentric rings that alternate between bright and dim in the spill, which is very wide typical of a TIR lens. The rings are only a tiny fraction of the brightness of the hot spot, but on a dark road with the beam pointed straight ahead, the ground immediately in front of me is illuminated bright enough to see where I'm stepping.

It's obvious that these heads are designed for specific applications, such as WML and the use I have set up this light for. For any application that requires maximum throw or beam intensity in an EDC size package, these heads are amazing. That said, they are far from optimal for general illumination use and is why I carry a second light (1CR123 body/VME/M61L) for that purpose. Safe to say that if dreamy tint, picture-perfect white wall beam pattern and long run time are high priorities, this Malkoff is not for you.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm thinking the 6 volt head would be a better choice for most. 55,000 lux and a hour runtime. Longer on a 18650. Make a pretty good backup search/rescue light.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I'm thinking the 6 volt head would be a better choice for most. 55,000 lux and a hour runtime. Longer on a 18650. Make a pretty good backup search/rescue light.

Looking at the specs and runtime, it looks like the E2XT is basically the E2HT in a larger bezel with a larger TIR lens to better focus the beam. It seems the E2XTD is likewise only with direct drive.

The E2HT, E2XT and E2XTD are designed as replacement heads for the Surefire 600 series weapon lights, and is why none of them are listed as turnkey flashlights. The narrow beams with minimal spill are ideally suited for rifles with magnified optics as the FOV through the optic is generally narrow (with the exception of 1x magnification on LPVO scopes). While a wide beam (higher lumens/lower lux) is ideal for short range WML use, the longer throw of these three heads are better suited for engaging targets at longer distances.

Due to the limited spill, I'm not sure any of these heads would work well for S&R use, I think the Hound Dogs are a much better choice for that application.

Beyond WML use, there is not much general-use utility for these heads other than the one I have been speaking of in previous threads - the use of the light to blind an assailant at close range in self-defense applications. In this case, it's the high lux/candela capability of these heads that make them ideal, and the lack of bright spill and short runtimes are of little-to-no consequence.

No doubt these heads are for niche applications. Based on the typical discussions of color temp, beam conformity, runtime, etc. on this board (and forum discussion guidelines), I don't expect there will be much discussion about these particular Malkoff products.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been able to light up a shed at roughly 400 meters with the e2xtdd.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene posted a picture of the SF edcl2t cap and body with the new head and man, I must say it's freakin awesome looking .

Being that this seems more towards the tactical applications like stated above I may just have to build this particular setup ...

More coin to Malkoff I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfrey

Enlightened
Gene posted a picture of the SF edcl2t cap and body with the new head and man, I must say it's freakin awesome looking .

Being that this seems more towards the tactical applications like stated above I may just have to build this particular setup ...

More coin to Malkoff I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to pic?

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The Malkoff E-18650 body would be perfect for these heads, especially the D version.

I look forward to comparing the E2XT to the E2HT, and also the HOT.

I've done the comparison, side-by-side-by side;

Comparing my M91T to the E2XTD, the M91T has a much broader (but less intense) hot spot and brighter spill. Its hot spot covers a larger swath but with less than 1/3 the lux, is not nearly as bright and does not reach out as far. For general use I find the M91T/M61HOT beam more useful.

The E2XTD has a smaller, tightly-focused hot spot that is 3x brighter. Where the M91T can reach down a dark road a bit, the E2XTD reaches way down the road. The spill is as wide as the M91T just not as bright. That said, the spill is still bright enough to maintain SA of the immediate surroundings and to see where I'm stepping.

Compared to the E2XTD, the E2HT hot spot is a bit wider, but still what I would call a "pencil beam" and not nearly as intense (half the lux). The spill is also slighter dimmer.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else have any problems with using the e2xtd head on the MALKOFF 18650 body? I can't seem to make it work

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh I'm sorry don't really like that. Looks better on the HA surefire body. IMO.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Anyone else have any problems with using the e2xtd head on the MALKOFF 18650 body? I can't seem to make it work

Boy, there's a lot of this happening lately. Probably the same thing. There might be anodizing on the body not allowing the head to make contact.