M361 LMH question

jrgold

Enlightened
For some reason I can't get my m361 219b LMH (3.4-6v) to work with my vme head and OR e35 body. Tried it in my md2 with 18650 and it works fine. Also won't work with an e70 body with the same battery used in the md2. I tried a m61w (3.4-9v) with the e35 and vme and it worked fine. I also tried the m361 with the OR spring washer, and swapped in a 5mm battery spacer, no dice. Any idea why it won't work? Is it because it's a LMH? Does that drop in have some kind of compatibility issue with the vme head?

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't come on what so ever in the Vme?

How tight are you tightening the head?

My m31 was flickering bad because I wasn't tightening it enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Sounds like a contact issue. Can't have any anodizing on the lip of your body's host.

jrgold

Enlightened
It doesn't come on what so ever in the Vme?

How tight are you tightening the head?

My m31 was flickering bad because I wasn't tightening it enough

Tried it loose, tight, with and without spacers. Tried tightening head first, tail first, every combo I could think of. The e35 and e70 are the only bodies I have that fit the vme

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried it loose, tight, with and without spacers. Tried tightening head first, tail first, every combo I could think of. The e35 and e70 are the only bodies I have that fit the vme

Are the threads on the bodies anodized?

jrgold

Enlightened
Sounds like a contact issue. Can't have any anodizing on the lip of your body's host.

If it's an ano issue why would it work with the m61w but not the m361? They are both Malkoff drop ins that look identical

jrgold

Enlightened
Are the threads on the bodies anodized?

Yes but I thought using the spring washer would make contact. The m61w works both with and without the washer

jrgold

Enlightened
And to add to that it looks like the female threads on the inside of the vme are anodized too so I think just the rim is designed to make contact. I'm somewhat new to Malkoff tho so could be completely wrong

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If the M61W works with the VME head and the body then yes. The 361 should. There's no difference in size. Try stretching the spring on the 361 a little. Just pull on it. You won't hurt it. Then try that

I have a 361 in a VME and never had a problem.

Last edited:

jrgold

Enlightened
If the M61W works with the VME head and the body then yes. The 361 should. There's no difference in size. Try stretching the spring on the 361 a little. Just pull on it. You won't hurt it. Then try that

I have a 361 in a VME and never had a problem.

Ok thanks, will give that a try when I get home

thermal guy

Flashaholic
And to add to that it looks like the female threads on the inside of the vme are anodized too so I think just the rim is designed to make contact. I'm somewhat new to Malkoff tho so could be completely wrong

The very bottom of the dropin has to touch the very top of the body. There may be a slight misalignment. Do this. Take the 361 out of the VME head and just put it as is right on the body. The spring should touch the battery the bottom of the 361 should touch the top of the body.see if it will work like that. If not you got a contact issue.

jrgold

Enlightened
The very bottom of the dropin has to touch the very top of the body. There may be a slight misalignment. Do this. Take the 361 out of the VME head and just put it as is right on the body. The spring should touch the battery the bottom of the 361 should touch the top of the body.see if it will work like that. If not you got a contact issue.

Makes sense, I'll try that, thank you

jrgold

Enlightened

That trick helped me see exactly what was going on. The spring wasnt close to long enough. I moved the spacer I had from the negative end of the battery to the positive and it works perfect now. I have my favorite 219b emitter on an e35 body, it's a great combo. I appreciate the help from both of you guys

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That's the thing about Malkoff's, there so dead simple if there is a problem they're easy to fix.