Filters - Which Color for Which Use?

tom q vaxy

Newly Enlightened
i understand "red" preserves night vision, and the opaque "white" mutes light for under/ through map reading, but what's "blue" used for?

i assume there are other colors, but don't know which or how they can be a benefit.

follow up Q: can these be bought (where) or are they proprietary x manufacturer?

thanks

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i understand "red" preserves night vision, and the opaque "white" mutes light for under/ through map reading, but what's "blue" used for?

i assume there are other colors, but don't know which or how they can be a benefit.

follow up Q: can these be bought (where) or are they proprietary x manufacturer?

thanks

Blue can be used for blood tracking by making bright red colors stand out, but only with a incandescent bulb - for LEDs you need a mixture of red and blue (or green) LEDs for this. Blue can be useful for reading non-red light readable maps in a military context.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Rather surprised by this thread:
I use tint filters alot, my favorite of testing many is Rosco 304

It makes cool tint neutral'ish & converts neutral tint to warm
..it cancels out the shorter wavelengths, without the annoying yellow tint.

Use it for everything (I even have Rosco 304 around my garage door opener bulbs (5000K filament leds') if that makes sense

Last edited:

tom q vaxy

Newly Enlightened
so i would simply get a roll of this ([FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.stagelightingstore.com/roscolux-gel-sheets/21834-rosco-roscolux-304-pale-apricot-20-x-24-sheet) and cut out a disc to fit my lens?[/FONT]

davemp

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for a multi color flashlight, LED Lenser makes one called the T2 QC Quad Color (white/blue/green/red). It's available at Cabela's at a reasonable price. davemp

tom q vaxy

Newly Enlightened
not an "all in one", but I figure one set to red for night things and another set to "stun" should be enough.

my Flashaholism got started quite early, maybe 7 or 8, when my cousin came home from the Marines and dumped a load of way too cool stuff on me. among the bags, belts, medals, rations, was a 90 degree (fulton?) flashlight with spare bulb & filters in the bottom of the canister. and of course my very first P-38!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
so i would simply get a roll of this (https://www.stagelightingstore.com/roscolux-gel-sheets/21834-rosco-roscolux-304-pale-apricot-20-x-24-sheet) and cut out a disc to fit my lens?[/QUOTE

Depending on if you want to just dip your toe in the waters, or if you just have a couple of lights, you can also try to experiment on your own by getting a Rosco "swatch book". The multitude of individual swatches in the book are 1.75 inches by 3.25 inches, which is, as I remember, enough for two Surefire-6P-sized circular cut-out filters. Lee filters makes swatch books also. By the way, don't try to clean a recently-cut-out gel filter with an alcohol pad. The rosco swatch book that I just found was $1.75 (didn't look up shipping) at:
https://www.adorama dot com/rosb.html

There is an older thread with lots of information at:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320811-Changing-LED-Tint-With-Filters

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
OK; I can probably cross "blue" off my list - thanks.

Some UV emitters come off as blue as well and are used for various purposes. Straight blue light will also act as a blacklight making whites stand out. Pretty cool IMO.

daffy

Enlightened
Its a quad amber setup even though 1 shot looks red.
NuAOnbf.jpg

AknJbA1.jpg

tom q vaxy

Newly Enlightened
odd as it sounds, just this afternoon i unscrewed the tail cap on my fulton light - the One that started it all. not the same light, but a newer one with led replacement. anyway, there was red, opaque white, yellow, blue ???, and a clear prism-type lens.