Blackube 1.5V LiIon AAs with 2800mWh / 1850mAh

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a device that won't run on Eneloops. I don't really see the point in 1.5v lithium-ion batteries, but I suppose they may have some very niche use in some electronics.

It would be useful if they could deliver more current than Eneloops, but it's actually quite a lot less.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you don't have any IR-remote???

Got plenty. They all work fine on Eneloops.

Eneloops have a working voltage over their discharge of about 1.20v to 1.35v (in a low drain device like a remote). Any device which won't work with 1.20v, or (ridiculously) 1.35v, is a POS. Alkalines still have half their capacity left at that level. Why would anyone produce a device that runs on alkalines, but leaves half the capacity remaining when it shuts down? If I ever buy garbage like that, it's getting returned. I've never seen it yet, though. Most stuff that runs off alkalines will work down to about 1.0v per cell, which is about empty.

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
I have a small battery powered radio

51gQx5fuTbL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingTHREEANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA(33%20Reviews)%2C445%2C291%2C400%2C400%2Carial%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Denver DAB-43+
https://denver-electronics.com/products/denver-dab-43plusblack/c-1024/p-3020

It runs of four AA batteries and it has a display that don't work with the low voltage from NiMH-batteries,
and it draws too much current for alkalines, but it works fine with two Kentli AA 3000mWh 1.5V batteries and two Eneloops
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Kentli AA PH5 3000mWh (Blue) UK.html

This may very well be a very unusual niche user case, but I am a happy user of the Kentli batteries.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small battery powered radio

Denver DAB-43+

It runs of four AA batteries and it has a display that don't work with the low voltage from NiMH-batteries,
and it draws too much current for alkalines,

Why would they ever make a product that takes AA batteries but doesn't work with either NiMH or alkaline?!? NiMH... I kind of get it, since they're not used by everybody. It's lazy and poor design, but I get it. But alkaline???

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
Why would they ever make a product that takes AA batteries but doesn't work with either NiMH or alkaline?!? NiMH... I kind of get it, since they're not used by everybody. It's lazy and poor design, but I get it. But alkaline???
The radios display works with alkalines, as I wrote above
But the current draw is too high. With alkalines I would have to change batteries on a weekly to monthly basis.
Too much for a lazy tightwad like me.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I want to discourage you from using rechargeables, as we should all be using them, but have you tried litium AA cells?
P

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
have you tried litium AA cells?
No, they are too expensive for me. Here in Sweden Litium AAs cost 5-10 times more then alkaline AAs.
But I don't doubt that they will work.

I have tried 14500 3.7V LiION batteries (2pcs 14500 + 2pcs dummy AAs), it worked very well. But the radios high current draw made me have to change/recharge 14500 batteries too often. I also managed to kill a few unprotected 14500 by discharging them too far and there were size issues with the protected 14500 I tried.

I am satisfied with how the two Kentli AA 3000mWh 1.5V batteries and two Eneloops works
At least for now..

wus

Newly Enlightened
We have 8 IR remotes, all work with 2 cells (AA or AAA), plus 2 remote temperature sensors (also 2 AAs), plus 2 razors also running on 2 AAs.

The remotes all work on freshly charged eneloops, but never long. The temp sensors don't work on NiMHs at all, and even with new alkalines, they never work long - they are really poorly designed. I use lithium AA in them now, these last very long already. But I think I will try LiFePo with a dummy cell next time I have to open one.

The razors work with NiMHs, but run rather slow once the voltage dropped to 1.27V. I tried the with Li AAs and also with a LiFePo plus a dummy cell, but with these, the voltage is too high. They only really work well with alkaline, but - obviously - only as long as they are still fairly full.

I want to try them with Blackubes next, that's why I asked.

Thanks for all your replies!

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
I want to try them with Blackubes next, that's why I asked.
Go for it!

I have tried with one of my Kentli batteries in a one AA "razor" (nose hair trimmer) it revved like never before and got quite hot quickly.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried 14500 3.7V LiION batteries (2pcs 14500 + 2pcs dummy AAs), it worked very well. But the radios high current draw made me have to change/recharge 14500 batteries too often.

Some modification needed but if you can physicaly make them fit another two 14500 instead of dummies and connected in parralel (2S/2P) then run time will be little more than double and easy for cells.

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think that I will do this kind of modification to my Denver radio
But who knows what I will do in the future.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have a cheap but small size (which is the key quality) LCD clock, and the backlight soon stops working with NiMh. Uses, what, 1 AA or 2 AAA...

Last edited:

wus

Newly Enlightened
1 AA or 2 AAA??? I don't understand.

By the way, I decided against using Blackubes for their high prices, use the razor now with 1 LiFePo AA plus a dummy cell, avoid overstressing the razor by charging the LiFePo's no higher than to 3.4 Volt. It's much better than with alkalines or eneloops.