• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Official Malkoff M61N NEUTRAL L-L-L-L Group Buy!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
GB is COMPLETE!

Thank you very much everyone who took part. I am thrilled with the outcome and look forwards to the next one!

Final package shipped. 5/4/20.

I have the dropins as of Monday 4/27. Shipping Payment PMs have been sent. If you did not receive one please PM me ASAP. Most packages will be en-route by EOD 4/29. Tracking #s also sent via PM to all who have paid shipping (4/29/20)

Dropins are finished, Gene has been paid. I will be receiving this within the next 4-6 days. (4/24/20)

Dropins are on Gene's Bench/ to-do list. Pending 4000K results, guessing we see action in the next 2 weeks (no promises!). (4/4/20)

LEDs have been ordered. Final price calculated (excluding shipping cost) Payment PM being drafted. (3/27/20)

LEDs are being selected, payment PMs to come in the next day or two. Slightly behind schedule, but Gene is ready to roll. (3/25/20)

This is a Group Buy for an M61N LLLL dropin. That's FOUR (4) Ls everyone. Say it with me: low low low low

There is a minimum order quantity of 20 units, CONUS shipping only, further upon special arrangement. Prepay price is approximately $48 (This is a ROUGH cost of the drop-in from Gene and the cost of the LED), plus shipping to be calculated later (assume $8.30~ for Priority Flat Rate). Final price to be calculated upon ordering of LEDs.

Determination of the CCT of the LED:
The CCT (Kelvin Temperature) of the LED is yet to be officially determined. Currently, there is call for both 4000K and 5000K, it is unlikely there will be enough demand for both as 20 is the minimum quantity per given dropin. It is possible to have both CCTs produced if there is enough interest. For this reason the open period will be a bit longer than previous.

When you sign up for your quantity, please state which CCT K Temp you prefer- if you do not care PLEASE STILL PICK ONE***. Your flexibility is most appreciated, but the lack of specificity ultimately pokes holes in the process.

At the end of Phase 1, if we only have enough for one "batch" of dropins (aka under 40 units), we will produce the dropins at the more popular K temp. We can discuss details further, but unless otherwise decided signing up for this group buy is commitment regardless of which CCT is produced. Please strongly consider this factor before signing up.

If this sounds interesting, read on…

All communication should take place in the comments for transparency. I won't respond to PMs regarding this GB unless otherwise arranged. The exception is for non CONUS or international shipping inquiries.

Phase 1 –Sign-Up:

- Indicate your willingness to participate in the group buy by posting the following in the comments: "I'm in for QTY x at #000K"
- Posting that you want to participate is a firm commitment to buy. Others are depending on you! Don't indicate that you're going to participate if you're "just thinking about it." Think about it first, then decide, then sign-up.
- Sign-up will last through 2359 hours on March 20th, 2020.
- If we don't get to 20, then we will shut down.

20 is the minimum and I will do my best to include everyone who signs up prior to March 20th.

Phase 2 – Pre-Pay:

- If we get at least 20 buyers, you send PAYMENT to me via PayPal Goods and Services. This breaks down to PAYMENT for dropin and LED, plus PP feested price.
- PP G&S protects you through Purchase Protection, so no gnashing of teeth over the small extra amount.
- Exact details on the information to send with your PP will be provided later!
- Pre-pay will last through 2359 hours on March 27th, 2020.
- If some buyers don't pay by the Phase 2 deadline, I will possibly (a) kick in the difference or (b) shut down the GB and refund your money via PP by April 2nd, 2020.
- Once you pay, you're locked in until (a) you receive your head (b) the GB shuts down or (c) you trade your spot.

Phase 3 – LED ordering/Manufacturing:

- Once I have the LED's in hand the order will be placed with Gene
- I will post an update once the LED's have been ordered and have shipping confirmation.
- We wait ? During this time, I will check in with Gene weekly and post updates in the comments.
- This phase ends when Gene ships the drop-ins to me.

Phase 4 – Shipping to you:

- This phase starts when I receive the package from Gene.
- Assuming we make it this far, you will have 2 weeks to pay exact shipping costs, via Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, PLUS an equal share of the bulk shipping cost of all the drop-ins from Gene to me. I will calculate the individual shipping costs later, and post details on how to pay. The USPS website says a small flat rate box is $8.30 CONUS. Add to this your share of bulk shipping from Gene to me. You will pay this via PayPal.
- I will PM you the tracking number after I ship. Shipping is CONUS only.
- I will provide an option for insurance, if you want to pay extra for this.
- Not really sure what to do if you pay for the drop-in, but don't follow up with the shipping cost. I guess I will hang onto it for another 30 days before I can dispose of it as I wish. Doubt we will have this problem.
- Once I ship to you and provide a tracking number, I'm out of the loop. I'm not responsible for lost or delayed items once USPS is in possession of your drop-in. If you're worried about this, I will provide an option for USPS insurance.

FAQs:

(1) What is a Malkoff M61W LLLL? What exactly am I purchasing?

This is the Malkoff Devices P60 style Drop-in LED Upgrade Conversion with solid brass heatsink construction. This is a LLLL- that's FOUR L's (low low low low). Output is estimated to be n the low/ mid 20 lumens. The LED is a will be a 4000K-5000K "neutral white" Cree XP-G2 LED, exact model yet to be chose.

From the Malkoff Web-site.

This design utilizes a custom orange peel reflector designed by Don McLeish. The reflector offers a very nice balance between throw and spill. It is an outstanding room lighter and short to medium spotter. It was designed specifically for use in Malkoff MD2, Elzetta ZFL-M60, and SureFire 6P, 9P, 6Z, Z2, Z3, C2, C3, M2, G3, and G2 flashlights. It may or may not fit other models. The input voltage is 3.4 - 9 volts. Below 3.4 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. This dropin is protected against reverse polarity.

This Malkoff Upgrade is designed for rugged service from the ground up. It is fully potted to stand up to rough service and recoil. This item is covered by Our Lifetime Warranty

This GB is for the Drop In only.

(2) Can I change my mind and back out?

During Phase 1, yes. Once again I must state, backing out because your exact preference of CCT was not chosen will be strongly frowned upon. Ultimately, there's nothing anyone can do, but it's against the spirit of the commitment to the Group.

After you pay in Phase 2, no. You're locked in, unless we shut down.

(3) Can I trade my spot?

During Phase 1, no need. Just post that you want to be removed from the list.

If/when we go into Phase 2 and beyond, it depends. If you haven't paid, post that you want out. If we have anyone in spots 26 and up, they will have the option to buy in your place, in ascending order. If you've already paid me, then the person (in spot 26 and up) taking your place will pay you directly, per your private arrangements. If this happens, both people will need to post publicly in the comments that they've worked it out satisfactorily and that Person B is taking Person A's spot. Again, if you've already paid, your only way out is to get someone from the backup list to pay you for your spot.

(3) What tint and emitter?

Cree XP-G2, ether 4000k or 5000k, possibly 4500K

(4) Minimum order quantity?

20. If we don't get 20 to sign up or pay, the GB will shut down.

If we get more than 20, I will do my best to include the additional spots in the order. So if you want one, sign up now!

(5) How long will it take?

According to Gene, depending on production time, somewhere between x weeks after Gene has received the LED's. Not x weeks from when you pay.
-I will confirm and update this post

(6) How much profit are you making on this group buy?

$0. The money you pay will transfer entirely to Gene and PayPal. I'm keeping none of it.

(7) What if I'm dissatisfied with the final product?

You would contact Gene, not me. Once I ship you the drop-in, I'm out of the loop (make sure you understand the shipping terms).

Thanks to the following CPF'ers.
lion504: for letting me use his GB format.
GreatScoot: for letting me basically copy his M91BN group-buy!

-Special thanks to Gene for putting up with us crazy CPF'ers and indulging our whims.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
4000K Interest List:

1. CRKDmike Paid
  2. troutpool Paid
  3. marco.weiss Paid
  4. dotCPF Paid
  5. greatscoot Paid
  6. fizeau Paid
  7. Russ/TN Paid
  8. Big Baller Paid
  9. dotCPF Paid
  10. lion504 Paid
  11. Fish 14 Paid
  12. bykfixer Paid
  13. jrgold Paid
  14. greatscootPaid
  15. dotCPF Paid
  16. infrnl

5000K Interest List:

1. marco.weiss Paid
  2. Not So Bright Paid
  3. thermal guy Paid
  4. dotCPF Paid
  5. PoliceScannerMan Paid
  6. Kestrel Paid
  7. Kestrel Paid
  8. bignc Paid
  9. Jimmyboots Paid
  10. bykfixer Paid
  11. thermal guy Paid
  12. greatscoot Paid
  13. dotCPF Paid
  14. 5S8Zh5 Paid
  15. WhiskeyLight Paid
  16. paxaboris Forfeit, no payment as of 4/24
  17. gqlux Paid
  18. Espionage Studio Paid

Forgot to reserve post WHOOPS- thanks Greatscoot for the reminder!

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interest list updated!

Please for now, even if you do not care, indicate which CCT you prefer. Those who are flexible for the purposes of the group buy are most certainly appreciated, but without everyone's preference some holes are poked in the process I have in my mind. I do not want to arbitrarily have to assign people to a CCT when it comes down to selecting which CCT will be produced, if we can only do one that is. If someone has a better/ different idea, please feel free to share it. For now I think it's easiest if we just all pick one.

I did not think of this before posting the OP :p

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Regarding CRI, we will make that exact decision upon CCT finalization. Safe to assume 80/ 85 CRI depending upon what is available.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Something we also have to consider is the CRI of the LED. Malkoff Neutral standard is 80CRI and I would personally like to keep it at least at 80 or 85. Maybe I'll add a poll?

(How do you add a poll..... hmm I'll try to figure this out today!)

Oh boy. That's going to get all confusing now. With another choice on the table.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy. That's going to get all confusing now. With another choice on the table.

Yeah I'm also not trying to make this too complicated. Suffice to say 80+ CRI is sufficient? 90 CRI was a big point for my on the M61W LLLL GB, just not sure if anyone cared on this one. I don't see many people asking so maybe we just wont worry about it, once we decide on which tint, maybe then let's talk about CRI.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Am in for Qty.2 of the 5000K (not being extravagant, one is for a local friend :eek:).

I must say that the clincher is that this module should be able to deliver roughly comparable output (yes?) from 2xAA alkaline for a lesser overall duration - a great backup ability IMO.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
List updated!

Yes Kestrel, I ran the original M61N LLLL on 2x AA in a G3, get's 20~ lumens. I should runtime test that.... but a 3x CR123 host is great for this dropin.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] Yes Kestrel, I ran the original M61N LLLL on 2x AA in a G3, get's 20~ lumens. I should runtime test that.... but a 3x CR123 host is great for this dropin.
Thx for the confirmation; a few years back I set up a friend with a pair of 9P's & Malkoffs, and he also liked the idea of having that option available.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Run your M61LLL on 2 Energizer lithiums and you will have very useful light for 20 hours or so.them LLL. LLLL are fantastic emergency lights.

Latest posts