NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the attraction of Incandescent?

Default Re: What is the attraction of Incandescent?

Agree, DayofReckoning.

There are even 3.7V P60 type lamp assemblies for running the P, G and C series with single 16650 cells.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    Agree, DayofReckoning.

There are even 3.7V P60 type lamp assemblies for running the P, G and C series with single 16650 cells.
    Yup, too many options out there now for us incan guys.

Save the Surefire lamps for preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumen83 View Post
    Very neat light! Any beam shots?
    Here ya go.……

From shoulder high

From 20 feet (6m)
    This around sunset today.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

All of the above. In addition to the warm fire-like glow we enjoy in our primitive DNA , I enjoy the lag time it takes for an incandescent lamp to dim before shutting off completely. With led it's so quick and digitalized you don't get that warm tingly feeling. It's sort of like snuffing out the flame when I'm finished using my primtive torch. I find it satisfying to my psyche. You all understand what Im talking about. I love this place. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
    All of the above. In addition to the warm fire-like glow we enjoy in our primitive DNA , I enjoy the lag time it takes for an incandescent lamp to dim before shutting off completely.
    Good point! I also like holding the switch in just the right position to get the beam to dim but not go out altogether. Or to do it so slowly that it gradually goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Here ya go.……
    Thank you! That is beautiful.

Nice golden sunset beam after using the same batteries nearly 3 years. Needless to say it does not run for long periods, nor every night. But the beam is definitely getting warmer with time. It's definitely a nice little flashlight.

The other day I fired up a big head 1960's 3D Sportsman. Well, I inserted batteries and tried it out. Nothing. They were new batteries. Try three different batteries. Nothing. Change bulb (even though the filament was intact) and……nothing. Take apart front end and back in, clean with deoxidizer……nothing.

Wait a second, what did they do in 1963? Wack to palm and TADAH!! Perfect. Long live the wack-a-palm flashlight.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post

Wait a second, what did they do in 1963? Wack to palm and TADAH!! Perfect. Long live the wack-a-palm flashlight.
    Lol sounds like whoever made that light made my dishwasher. I've got to kick it to get it to start.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Honestly to me its that it brings me back to when I was a kid. Playing outside or under the covers with my pitiful 5-6 lumen lights and having a ball and keeping monsters away and walking with my friends. They were good days and incandescence takes me back to a much much simpler day😁
    I think that`s the reason for my preference as well, as a child I had many different flashlights (it was a great way to keep me quiet! LOL) I even used to make my own, and as much as I love LEDs as well, nothing feels quite the same as propper bulb light. I tend to keep the LED ones for Emergency lights, but use Bulbs for everyday use, LEDs seem a bit `cold` to me.

So glad I found this place, I was starting to think I was a bit crazy having a love for flashlights, especially bulb types.

Flashaholic*

All about the quality of the light. Wide spectrum light instead of small spectrum blueish, pale UGGHHH light. I am back to modified Mags and Surefires after a small "outing" to some LED flashlights. For sure, there are legit reasons for using a LED flashlight (small and still decent output and runtime, even on a 10180 Li-ion cell) and finally I found a LED flashlight that could go down to roughly 0.1 Lumens or so, as all others were too bright even on lowest setting to read my watch in a tent... so now, the SRT7 also has it's place in my collection. But the very first one that will be packed into the luggage is some kind of incan (Surefire C3 and/or M6) and even I carried an E1E for a long time, but it ruins the pockets of my quite expensive Fjallraven trousers, so I stopped carrying that one around :-(
    Yeah, another point: even when using a high powered incan light, you are NOT blinded, while even a moderately powered blueish white LED flashlight only blinds me, instead of lighting up things so I can actually see them BETTER instead of WORSE.

Did you know Makita also HAD a few nice incan lights with large reflectors? The BML185 (or DML185) use an 18V / 0.6A PR13.5s style bulb which gives a lot of nice light. Combined with a BL1860B battery you have TEN HOURS of runtime! Want longer runtimes? Use the bulb for a BML184 lamp (which is 18V / 0.2A) and get 30 hours of run time. I actually have two BML185s, one with the 200mA bulb and one with the 600mA bulb in it.

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    Incans are the main reason why i always choose 3000-4000k LED’s cause they just can’t give that, something that bulbs has.
    100% agreed. The lion's share of my LED torches is all neutral-warm to warm because of that inviting tint of incans (not CRI, though, I don't really care much about that purity).

The nostalgia also makes me use my collection in low mode unless extra power is necessary. I use 30 lumens or less about 90% of the time overall.

That said, unless a massive breakthrough in incandescent bulb efficiency hits the market at accessible prices, I doubt I'll go back to them. I'm no lumen chaser or tint snob, but I am definitely a runtime ninny and LED allows me to indulge in battery life being a total non-issue. As it is, incandescent lighting is a field of technology I admire but don't want for myself.

We like incands because it confuses and frustrates LED Jockeys who think the whole world has to be like them; only using energy efficient things, and all that tripe.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc Descarte View Post
    100% agreed. The lion's share of my LED torches is all neutral-warm to warm because of that inviting tint of incans (not CRI, though, I don't really care much about that purity). The nostalgia also makes me use my collection in low mode unless extra power is necessary. I use 30 lumens or less about 90% of the time overall.
    That said, unless a massive breakthrough in incandescent bulb efficiency hits the market at accessible prices, I doubt I'll go back to them. I'm no lumen chaser or tint snob, but I am definitely a runtime ninny and LED allows me to indulge in battery life being a total non-issue. As it is, incandescent lighting is a field of technology I admire but don't want for myself.
    If runtime matters, there are plenty of options, especially if you do NOT chase large numbers of Lumens. The first thing is to start with a large host (for D-cells for example), then to fill this one up with the best NiMH D-cells available (at this moment that's a 10Ah D cell by Ansmann) and with that energy you can do a lot of things. A standard Maglite bulb draws 700-800mA so runtimes in the region of 12 to 13 hours are no problem. And the best thing: if you finally draw the batteries down, just recharge them!

Or, if you already have the Makita LXT 18V system: take a lamp BML185 or DML185, add a bulb for the BML184 (this one draws just 200mA instead of 600mA) and, depending on the battery, you will have a maximum of 30 hours(!) of very usable light (when using a BL1860B battery)

If you don't want too large a host but still around 10 hours of runtime combined with GREAT light: buy a 2.5D host with switch tower intact from FiveMega (these are still available, but once they are gone, they are GONE), then add two 32650 li-ion batteries with 7500mAh and take a MagNum star 6-cell original Maglite bulb..., MAN, that's another league of light, compare to that old fashioned 2D cell Maglite with the White Star standard bulb in it....
    This is the 2.5D Maglite I mean:
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...8650-M*g-1-25D
    Last edited by 325addict; 08-11-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12