Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the attraction of Incandescent?

Default What is the attraction of Incandescent?

Just stumbled across this sub forum and had a look around. Why do some prefer incandescent to LED? LEDís in general seem more efficient, durable and available in warm tints.

Default Re: What is the attraction of Incandescent?

Glow!
    Ultimate hi cri

Personally I have found:

K temp is super easy on the eyes. I'm quite favorable to it.

100 CRI.

They yield very high intensity beams.

60 lumens (Typical of a Surefire 6P incandescent bulb) is actually quite a good bit of light. I can clearly light up my chicken coop from the back porch, roughly 100' away. Enough to confirm all is well.

They are much less efficient, though I don't know if it's fair to say less durable. I have heard that Surefire's Xenon bulbs will survive full immersion in water..
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011
    List of my lights!

Flashaholic*

Beautiful, full spectrum 100CRI light that the very best high CRI LED's still cannot completely match
    Incandescent's also throw very well compared to most LED's of similar output and size.
    With the advent of Li-ion cells, LumensFactory bulbs, and Bi-pin adapters, this has helped Incans from going completely obsolete
    Nostalgia probably plays a big part with the small group of guys that occupy this section of the forums.

One of the biggest problems, I think, with people new to the hobby is when they hear "Incandescent" they automatically get a mental picture of the traditional dim, yellow, unfocused Maglite type beam.

Once you see a quality, hot driven xenon/halogen lamp pushed by Li-ion cells to 3325k to 3350K, its hard to go back to most LED's.
    Last edited by DayofReckoning; 03-06-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Incans are the main reason why i always choose 3000-4000k LEDís cause they just canít give that, something that bulbs has.

Beautiful quality of illumination ...

Is there any room left for analog in a digital world ?
    Last edited by archimedes; 03-06-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

all of the above.
    Prometheans #253

Flashaholic*

Even the best high CRI LED's cannot match the quality of light output of a well driven xenon-halogen incan. I prefer quality over quantity. I consider much of a typical "white" LED's output as light pollution and the lack of long range throw is another issue. I have plenty of LED lights, but for serious uses I always reach for the incan or the HID.
    ampdude

Honestly to me its that it brings me back to when I was a kid. Playing outside or under the covers with my pitiful 5-6 lumen lights and having a ball and keeping monsters away and walking with my friends. They were good days and incandescence takes me back to a much much simpler day😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic*

I think the issue of "reliability" with incandescent lights is overblown in my opinion. Quality lamps are very rugged and durable, Surefire lamps being insanely durable. Someone here used a good example of how the flashlight bulb blowing out when the bad guy is coming in the horror movies as an example of one of the preconceived notions people have about incandescent's lack of durability.

In countless hours of use, I don't think I ever lost a bulb in actual usage, anytime I've had a bulb blow on me it's been when firing the lamp up hot off the charger.

In the event of a failure, a lamp can be swapped out very easily in most cases. The simplicity with no circuitry or drivers is a big advantage. Not the case with LED lights that fail. Usually, when they fail, they fail.

Flashaholic*

Incans are also EMP proof for us preppers out there. Not saying that an average LED light stored away would be effected, but it's just something to keep in mind. Solar flairs, EMP/nukes, things like that don't bother incans too much. Maybe the circuitry in the lithium batteries if anything.
    Last edited by ampdude; 03-06-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    ampdude

They can run ok with the batteries in backwards ?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    They can run ok with the batteries in backwards ?
    Good one. Hehehe
    ampdude

Flashaholic*

We have snowfall here in Pennsylvania as of right now. This thread inspired me to head outside with a few lights and remind myself how soft and pleasant the incan beam is in snowfall.

Anything above 500 lumens can actually make for a decent thawing device in wintertime

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    We have snowfall here in Pennsylvania as of right now. This thread inspired me to head outside with a few lights and remind myself how soft and pleasant the incan beam is in snowfall.

Anything above 500 lumens can actually make for a decent thawing device in wintertime
    Yes, that and you don't have to worry about snow building up on the lens.
    ampdude

Why do some like driving a 1959 Pontiac or riding a 1940's Indian motorcycle? Some like playing tennis in leather sole shoes or making popcorn in a pan? In most cases it is likely familiarity.

To me it's not about CRI, or BMP or any other three letter acronyms.
    It's more about pushing an on button and getting electric fire on a stick to light my path. Part of that is familiarity from my youth.

I definitely appreciate the virtues of a cool white LED, or neutral for that matter. But compared to a light bulb they all seem artificial to me,regardless of what charts and graphs say. Yet I have no qualms with getting 175 lumens from a 2aa battery for 2 hours from an LED.

Sometimes I like stepping back in time and lighting darkness with something from my youth like a 2C fridge magnet number, or a 4c Maglite with a 3 cell krypton bulb. Perhaps a 2c fueled by 2 LifePo4 cells using a 4 cell xenon bulb. If I'm feeling real nostalgic I'll use a WW II right angle light or a nickel plated miners light from the late 1910's.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-06-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    Good one. Hehehe
    Thank you

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Thank you
    You also made me think of my old LED Inovas that have the batteries go in "backwards". So double funny.
    ampdude

There's certainly room for incans in today's world. A Surefire P90 or P91 lit up on a pair of 18650's is a sight to behold. The beam from my Surefire M6 still makes me smile no matter what bulb is in it. And the bombproof presence in hand is reassuring as can be. It's a connection back to roots. To endless hours of flashlight tag played as a kid with plastic Evereadys and Rayovacs. Metal ones if you were cool. Simpler times. These are my nostalgic reasons, plenty of practical reasons in the posts above. Make room in your collection for a couple. SF's you can pop a screamer dropin into if you want to, or enjoy that awesome P60 beam for a bit of a blast from the past.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Flashaholic*

I just did a building check earlier tonight with a Maglite 4D with a Magnumstar II xenon factory bulb and a Surefire 6P with P60 in the pocket as backup. Still awesome.
    ampdude

Wow, thanks for all of the responses. Gives me something to think about. Does Surefire still make an incandescent lights? I dont even see the 6P listed on their site.
    Last edited by shane1; 03-07-2020 at 03:18 PM.

The 6p and other incans went out of production a couple of years back. 2016?

But they can still be found new in package at eBay or Amazon and the P60 modules as well. New 6p's go for around $55 and new P60's around $15.

Flashaholic*

You don't have to pay that. I just got a couple of 6P's NIP for under $40 each. Older style logo too.
    ampdude

Nice catch ampdude.

I enjoy my incan lights a lot more than my LEDs, which for me are relegated to purely usage/tasks.
    My incans are task lights too of course, but a lot more fun to use.

Incan lights, fountain pens, mechanical watches. Love them all.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Still my favorite flashlight.
    A 1980's PA made by Bright Star 2c generic light using a PR2 bulb.
    A shallow, shiny reflector causes the 1960's Tung Sol bulb to toss out a nice Maglite-esque spot along with a good spill. All with no donut hole and minimal filament shadow. A sweet little number that is easy to spot in low light. Bright Star sliding switches were a cut above the competition for reliability and they had positive stopping points to allow signaling or for full time light.
    A friend of mine bought a few and mailed me this one at a time when I was all into LED lights, but had turned my focus back in time to all things vintage flashlights. Frankly I was surprised it was not made in the 1950's during the so called "machine era" of flashlights when signaling switches, creative stampings and new plastics were being incorparated.

If you are into old flashlights, the Tung Sol or Chicago Miniature light bulbs were top of the line numbers with a slightly frosted globe that really reduced filament shadow. Pre-orange peel technology. Tung Sol were used in automotive applications and radios so durability was first on their mind. Oh, they don't dig on being over driven, but in stock platform they are hard to beat. Chicago Miniature also have a nice beam.

But old Bright Star lights are wonderful. They are still around. Owned by plumbing supply company Koehler now and no longer made in the Steel City state.

But Shane, you really should try a SureFire 6P. It may be just what the doctor ordered for your pier fishing wars adventures.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-08-2020 at 10:33 AM.

No LEDs match the tint quality of incandescent light. There is just something much different about incandescent light. Something more familiar in a way. Maybe in a way that reminds me of the lights I grew up with. Maybe it extends further. Human beings have been staring at the warm light of a burning ember, and deriving comfort from that in the dark for hundreds of thousands of years. I think incandescent burning filament bulbs have the same psychological effect. Its a warm, comforting, natural, familiar beam that I just cannot find a match for with LEDs. After having chased the LED market for years, I've finally reverted back almost exclusively to incans.

Incandescent bulbs cost much less than their energy-efficient alternatives. Incandescents are inefficient 90% of the energy goes toward heat and only 10% toward light.Incandescent bulbs look so good because they emit all colors of light, whereas LEDs and other more efficient light sources only manage a subset of all the colors of visible light.

Flashaholic*

The first light I reach for if there are bumps in the night or something crazy going on outside is the Surefire M6 with HOLA that I keep in my top nightstand drawer.

Anytime I've needed it, it's been there, and very it much intimidated those it was aimed at.

It's easy to carry around on the belt too. That 500 lumens just stomps any 3,000 lumens LED light I've owned.
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Still my favorite flashlight.
    A 1980's PA made by Bright Star 2c generic light using a PR2 bulb.
    A shallow, shiny reflector causes the 1960's Tung Sol bulb to toss out a nice Maglite-esque spot along with a good spill. All with no donut hole and minimal filament shadow.
    Very neat light! Any beam shots?

Flashaholic*

One of the most beautiful beams I've ever seen was my Surefire M6 with LumensFactory IMR-M6 driven by 3 Keeppower 16650's. Absolutley gorgeous.

Compared to my Fenix TK47UE, the M6 crushed the 1000 lumen mode of the Fenix, requiring me to pump up the lumens to 3200 before the M6 was obviously outclassed.

Stock Surefire lamps and primaries are cool and all, but with the abundance of Lithium ion cells, Lumensfactory lamps, and bi pin adapters that take cheap bulbs, I don't see much point in burning up old, valuable, discontinued Surefire Lamps with expensive lithium batteries when there are other options that are brighter, whiter, cheaper, and higher performing. Which is why my Surefire lamps have pretty much been retired for the most part. No real reason to use them other than maybe nostalgia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast