Pocket Clip and Tail-stand Capability - EDC

CRKDMike

Enlightened
So I am now on the hunt for a new host. There are so many things to consider. However, I never considered a host with no pocket clip, or a protruding switch (preventing tail stands). All technical variables aside (ie. voltage, batteries, dropin etc.) what are the benefits of NOT having a pocket clip?
Tailstanding comes at the cost of less accessible switches, which I understand for law enforcement or similar duties. However, when it comes to EDC, why WOULDN'T you get a host that can tail stand?
I'm hoping you guys can help me arrange my wants/needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

De-Lux

Enlightened
To truly answer your question I would have to say it really comes down to personal preference. If your criteria is a host that tail stands and has a robust pocket clip I would look into the Malkoff e-series style (MDC) bodies with a VME head. The perfect EDC host IMO. You will be limited to Malkoff drop-ins with the VME head or you can get a Malkoff MDC head as well or you can get an E to C adapter with a Z44 bezel and run any p60 style drop-in. The Malkoff MDC body tailstands and has one of the best pocket clip around and has a McClicky to boot..

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I dunno. IMO, all flashlights should tailstand and have excellent clips.

CRKDMike

Enlightened
To truly answer your question I would have to say it really comes down to personal preference. If your criteria is a host that tail stands and has a robust pocket clip I would look into the Malkoff e-series style (MDC) bodies with a VME head. The perfect EDC host IMO. You will be limited to Malkoff drop-ins with the VME head or you can get a Malkoff MDC head as well or you can get an E to C adapter with a Z44 bezel and run any p60 style drop-in. The Malkoff MDC body tailstands and has one of the best pocket clip around and has a McClicky to boot..
Yup, I have two different MDC bodies with VME heads, and I am loving them. Although, I wish they had some knurling, or just some more interesting machining to them. The clips are amazing you're right.
Thanks for the tip about the adapter! I might check that out actually.

I dunno. IMO, all flashlights should tailstand and have excellent clips.

YES!! So how is it that the 6P format is so popular? I don't get it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have never placed a lot of emphasis on a tail stand or not for everyday carry items because I rarely tailstand a flashlight. It's kinda like that pocket knife with a saw to me. My only reason for a tail standable light with the button on the rear is so it is hidden enough not to be accidently activated when carried. A light magnetized above me is more practical unless I'm say, under a car looking up. But then I'm usually wearing a lamp on my forehead. But that's coming from a person who has flashlights for various tasks, same as screw drivers or eating utensils.

A policeman or plumber has a bunch of stuff to carry on a regular basis. The policeman may have to deploy a given tool at a moments notice, so what and where are really important. Does the holster or clip interfere with deployment or returning it back to the duty belt when both hands are needed? The clip really matters. When I pocket clip a light it is more about a self defense posture. The light clips down into my front pocket with a wrist strap dangling down. A quick dip of my hand below the pocket with two fingers through the loop, a tug up and looping the arm in one motion deploys the light in a centrifugal motion if needed. Or I will strap it to my wrist when light is needed but in an instance say if my footing is suddenly compromised, I can release the light but not drop it. I instinctively strap items with a strap around my wrist. Just yesterday I was carrying a few items in one hand while locking a door with the other. At one point I lost grip on the camera that was strapped to my wrist and thought for sure it was going to crash onto a concrete surface. The wrist strap made sure I could still take pictures after that. Same thing with flashlights. Countless times the wrist strap halted it from hitting the ground.

To me the combo of a clip and wrist strap holder is generally not ideal in most cases as the wrist strap holder protrudes well beyond the clip. For belt carry that ends up rubbing my torsoe. So a separate rotating lanyard ring and a close fitting clip make a good combination. The clip should be stiff enough to not permanently bend when clipped over a thick leather belt or to a ball cap, yet flexible enough to not cause undue resistance when clipping it to something.

Yet with todays LED and battery technology it aint hard to come up with a host that will fit into a trouser pocket. There are a whole bunch of chapstick tube sized flashlights that are pretty bright. That leaves the option open for carrying much brighter lights in another carrier. A backpack, a fanny pack if you still use those, or a jacket/vest pocket.

But if you must have a tailstanding light with a pocket clip an E series style light having a long two way clip with a Scout style tailcap is hard to beat. Portable, lightweight and durable.

Last edited:

CRKDMike

Enlightened
I have never placed a lot of emphasis on a tail stand or not for everyday carry items because I rarely tailstand a flashlight. It's kinda like that pocket knife with a saw to me. My only reason for a tail standable light with the button on the rear is so it is hidden enough not to be accidently activated when carried. A light magnetized above me is more practical unless I'm say, under a car looking up. But then I'm usually wearing a lamp on my forehead. But that's coming from a person who has flashlights for various tasks, same as screw drivers or eating utensils.

A policeman or plumber has a bunch of stuff to carry on a regular basis. The policeman may have to deploy a given tool at a moments notice, so what and where are really important. Does the holster or clip interfere with deployment or returning it back to the duty belt when both hands are needed? The clip really matters. When I pocket clip a light it is more about a self defense posture. The light clips down into my front pocket with a wrist strap dangling down. A quick dip of my hand below the pocket with two fingers through the loop, a tug up and looping the arm in one motion deploys the light in a centrifugal motion if needed. Or I will strap it to my wrist when light is needed but in an instance say if my footing is suddenly compromised, I can release the light but not drop it. I instinctively strap items with a strap around my wrist. Just yesterday I was carrying a few items in one hand while locking a door with the other. At one point I lost grip on the camera that was strapped to my wrist and thought for sure it was going to crash onto a concrete surface. The wrist strap made sure I could still take pictures after that. Same thing with flashlights. Countless times the wrist strap halted it from hitting the ground.

To me the combo of a clip and wrist strap holder is generally not ideal in most cases as the wrist strap holder protrudes well beyond the clip. For belt carry that ends up rubbing my torsoe. So a separate rotating lanyard ring and a close fitting clip make a good combination. The clip should be stiff enough to not permanently bend when clipped over a thick leather belt or to a ball cap, yet flexible enough to not cause undue resistance when clipping it to something.

Yet with todays LED and battery technology it aint hard to come up with a host that will fit into a trouser pocket. There are a whole bunch of chapstick tube sized flashlights that are pretty bright. That leaves the option open for carrying much brighter lights in another carrier. A backpack, a fanny pack if you still use those, or a jacket/vest pocket.

But if you must have a tailstanding light with a pocket clip an E series style light having a long two way clip with a Scout style tailcap is hard to beat. Portable, lightweight and durable.

In those applications, it's true that tail standing capability, and pocket clips are not necessary. However, I am focused on an EDC type light, for general use around the house, or in public etc.

I guess that I figured lots of people don't require tail stand capability, and had some other solution for lighting up a whole room/tent/shed without that capability. I am seeing now that this isn't the case.

jrgold

Enlightened
Not a host only, but the Zebralight SC64c LE is a great edc option. Strong clip, tail stands, high cri, and not much larger than the 18650 it houses. Honestly looking at the light you wonder how they fit an 18650 in there. The configurable ui with shortcuts to every mode is nice too

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For me, a light tailstanding needs to be beside me or behind, other wise you need a lamp shade or just end up blinded unless it is above your head and how practical is that.

We keep C and D Maglites around for the ceiling bounce in lights out conditions, but they are typically up on a mantle or somewhere you don't stare at it. And then the light is turned to the low setting. But for an edc light, I just don't find the tail stand as practical as a rule. But that's just one persons perspective.
I do find a good clip way more useful. Especially the two way type.

Now my right pocket EDC is a 1x aaa number with a kubotan protrusion on the tail end so it does not tail stand. Yet when I found a two way clip to pin it to a ball cap or hang from a string, I can slide the clip slightly and the bend acts as a second leg allowing it to tailstand.

3-DECCFB8-28-CF-47-AF-9-C05-BD6-CA0-D27-D08.jpg

I call it a kick stand.
Note the "poker" on the right side meant as a self defense tool.
The miniature carabiner allows it to hang from a nail or quick clip to car keys etc.
So yeah, tailstand ability does play a role with some of my lights, and even an edc, but it is not a requirement.

Last edited:

CRKDMike

Enlightened
For me, a light tailstanding needs to be beside me or behind, other wise you need a lamp shade or just end up blinded unless it is above your head and how practical is that.

We keep C and D Maglites around for the ceiling bounce in lights out conditions, but they are typically up on a mantle or somewhere you don't stare at it. And then the light is turned to the low setting. But for an edc light, I just don't find the tail stand as practical as a rule. But that's just one persons perspective.
I do find a good clip way more useful. Especially the two way type.

Now my right pocket EDC is a 1x aaa number with a kubotan protrusion on the tail end so it does not tail stand. Yet when I found a two way clip to pin it to a ball cap or hang from a string, I can slide the clip slightly and the bend acts as a second leg allowing it to tailstand.

3-DECCFB8-28-CF-47-AF-9-C05-BD6-CA0-D27-D08.jpg

I call it a kick stand.
Note the "poker" on the right side meant as a self defense tool.
The miniature carabiner allows it to hang from a nail or quick clip to car keys etc.
So yeah, tailstand ability does play a role with some of my lights, and even an edc, but it is not a requirement.

I suppose that my experiences are different. A tail stand is a necessity for pointing the light up and gently glowing up a room without blasting the ceiling lights. I use it every night to check on the kids, bring them to the bathroom etc.
I also tailstand my light inside the crates that we work with at work. It lights up the entire interior without blinding me. I mean, anything can be blinding if I look directly at it (the sun comes to mind), but generally if I avoid direct eye contact, tailstanding and bouncing light off the ceiling works amazing for me.

Latest posts