LedLenser built in battery protection?

El Luz

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if LedLenser lights, specifically the Neo10R has built in battery protection?

I just got a LedLenser Neo10R and have 2 Zebralights also. I know my zebralights have built in battery protection, so I have been using non-protected 18650 batteries. The Neo10R is able to be recharged with micro-USB which is nice, but now I am worried that if I charge the light with an unprotected cell, I could overcharge the battery. Or I could overdischarge the battery also.

I will do some experiments to find out. I did contact customer service at LedLenser, but they just told me to use protected cells. Didn't give me any detail about the protection circuitry in the light. I can tell the battery included by LedLenser is protected. It seems hard to believe that a light that costs $80 doesn't have a $1 protection circuit included.

El Luz

Newly Enlightened
I tested my Neo10R by charging up an unprotected 18650 with my Nitecore charger and then installing it in the light and charging with USB charger. The indicator light eventually turned green indicating compled charging. I the removed the battery and measured the battery voltage at 4.18V. so it appears the light does have over charging protection. I think it's safe to assume it will also have under charge protection. I think it should be fine to use unprotected 18650 batteries.