Every day pocket.

wyldprairie

Newly Enlightened
It might help to tell you what I have, what I like, and what doesn't work so far.
Maglight mini aaa with led kit - ok for close work. No pocket clip, no button; not enough power for other tasks.
Streamlight (SL) stinger HL - love this spotlight, charger kinda sucks, but works well to dock in truck. Too intense of spot for close work. Buttin function is useful. Way too large for carrying on my person every day.
Eagletac g25c2 - great light, eats batteries, like the modes but hate the method of switching modes its totally inconsistent for me, and requires 2 hands. Too large for pocket carry
SL scorpion - like modes, like button; like grip but not for pocket plus no clip
SL protac HL- too large for pocket
SL protac HL usb - too large
SL microstream 10 tap - great light, good for 10 yards and less. Does poor in the cold even in pocket.
SL protac 1L - used to be my carry for day to day. Little small but mostly unreliable sometimes it just wont turn on.
SL protac 2aa - same reliability issues as above. Little long for my pockets.
SL protac 1l 1aa - I love this light but after about a year began to see the same reliability issues as with other SL above. Usually only in cold weather.
Olight s1r baton 2 - my most recent attempt at finding the perfect light for my needs. I like the modes, the method I'm still getting used to after being so used to SL method. Really like the long press for moonlight and double press for turbo, as well as returing to last mode when turning back on. flood and output great for situational awareness and close work, not great at distance. Like tail magnet. Like the charger and that I can just pop it on during my commute. Too short and not a fan of the side switch.

I've always carried a flashlight every day. The last 4 streamlights above are great and the reliability issue is really annoying but to this point I've been willing to look past it. I use a light for checking cattle (30 yards and in), close work (1 yard or less) and occasionally looking across the pasture for a critter (100 yards plus). Most lights that work for the first two tasks dont work for the third but I generally have a spotlight or high lumen high throw light in the truck, so that's more of a convenience.
Now due to occupation however, (school security) I need a more reliable light. Tailcap switch, momentary on, pocket clip required. This would be in addition to a weapon light, but that's a different discussion.

Maybe for these reasons I need to carry 2 lights but I'm really hoping to avoid that.

Flashlight Recommendation Checklist

Order online
$100 or less, potentially $150 if the stars line up perfectly.
Handheld flashlight
3-6" in length, up to 1" diameter (or reasonable for pocket carry)
LED - willing to be educated otherwise
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
Dont care about power source.
See above for lumens & distance. Flood is probably most important to me. Hotspots suck for close work.
Definitely want something with at least a high and a low mode. Really like streamlight ability to select which happens first, but also like olight ability to select output based on button presses or holds.
Durability is critical.
Need to have a tail switch. Momentary on necessary. Additional switch on the side is fine but I don't care. Have to be able to locate and activate switch with a gloved hand.
I need at least high and low. I like the ability to program features like removing strobe function. Dont need strobe or beacon but dont care if they're on it. Not familiar with a "selector ring" so I don't know if that's something I want or not.
Dont care so much about material as long as durability isnt an issue. Aluminum is most likely what I'll get but again, dont care.
Water resistance is useful but not required would expect anything I pay more than $20 for to have some type of water resistance.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus XT11GT is what I use at work and have recently bought a XT1C from them as well to use as a secondary light. These two lights have a dual tail switch setup with the bigger 11GT having a third button on the side. The XT series switches function as follows: Main switch always engages max output and is a mechanical switch. Secondary paddle switch functions as mode and electronic switch. Changing output levels as well as a momentary on but if you hold it, it will keep the light on in that mode (can be set to either low mode or strobe) and pressing the main switch kicks it up to max. Releasing main switch then turns it off. The 11gt's side switch is also an electronic switch that can be disabled. It serves as a secondary on button but memorizes the last mode used. My only complaint is that when the side and paddle switch are used, they require you to hold for about two seconds to turn the light off. I usually just flash the main power button to do so instead.

The XT11GT has a micro-usb port to charge the battery inside it but the XT1C 2018 version just comes with a cell that has the micro-usb port built into the cell. Either one can also use Lithium CR123As in place of an 18650 or 16340.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
SureFire EDCL-1T should check a bunch of your boxes. Gently push the on button for 15 lumens. Push harder for a very throwey high. Has a clip and fits in a trouser pocket like the Streamlight 1L aa.
My favorite LED light for general use is the SureFire G2x Pro. Starts on low with a really bright high setting.

Are you using lithium batteries in your microstreams? Alkalines don't play nice in cold weather. Lithiums don't care how cold it gets nearly anywhere in America.

Last edited:

wyldprairie

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I use Energizer lithium in all my aa and aaa lights. I cant get the light to act like it does in the cold without cold. The issue is it'll only work with momentary which is a soft press, however if I push all the way to a click then the light goes out and nothing works until it gets quite warm again. Thanks for the suggestions I'll check those out!