KL3

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone got a pic of one installed on a 6P.How about a beem shot.How does it compare in brightness to a E1e.KL3 19 lums,E1e 15 lums.I assume it is brighter but how good is the spot.
Thanks for any help.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the opportunity to use the E1e+KL1 combo (although it is lost now) and also the M2+KL3 combo, now replaced with a KL5. I would give the thumbs up to the KL1 anytime over the KL3. Although running a KL3 with 2 batteries are going to see you put through 4 hours of full usage, I prefer the compactness of the KL1 on the E1e. Trust me, you wouldn't want to hold a potato masher like the KL3 when there is little to negative difference in terms of the power output depite the numeric difference. With the KL5 things are a lot different. I now have an LED head that throws out 65 lumens worth of almost pure white light. The KL1 and KL3 still spot the purplish tint on the beam.

Andy Ho

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Here is a shot of a KL3 on a D2 body.

d2kl3.jpg

This particular KL3 has been modded to drive a TX1J Luxeon III at 1A. The Luxeon III is of course, a lot whiter than the stock batwing emitter. The NX05 optic has been swapped out for a Fraen LP collimator, which makes for a wide hotspot.

Beamshot: (taken at 8')
kl3tx1j.jpg

CM/Chop/LEDModMan have all posted information on how to modify a KL3.

jtice

Flashaholic
I think the KL3 is way to big for the amount of light it puts out.

In the next few days i hope to mod mine to a 5W bb750 and PR reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
jtice,

Would you be willing to sell the stock buck circuit from your KL3? Since you will be using a BB instead, I'm sure I can find a good home for the old circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
wasabe64,

hmmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I dont THINK I will use it.
Unless I beafed it up, and put in a mag.

hmm, whats it worth to ya?

DumboRAT

Enlightened
The KL3, I feel, is more of a run-time king. I keep it with my C2 as a utility tool around the house.

During the black-out last summer/fall, I kept it on for two nights straight, overall run-time about 9 hours continuous, and it was only at the end that I started to notice it had dipped into moon mode.

The other biggie about the KL3 is its ability to be modded.

It's definitely not compact, and it doesn't put out that much more light than a KL1.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I use my KL3 on a "G3" around my room too, it's way too big to be use outside, but in the room, it's fits my need perfectly. I need something not too bright, and has long run time while not as big as a 2D mag or something like that. Now it's also the light that I use to use up my "dead" batteries.

The only thing I don't like about the KL3 is the beam color, it's way too purple

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I also think it is too big for what it does, and mine is quite purple too.

I hope to afford to send it to someone who can hop it up to at least LUXIII.... someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Reaper

Enlightened
I must be one of the luckier ones for my KL3 is (according to my eyes) white. Even if it's slightly off, the difference is hard to tell. Regardless, my KL3, BlasterII and ARC AA came in handy during my 2 weeks in Yosemite National Park. Sure is nice to actually use my lights for something other than just playing around.

Reaper

Enlightened
6pOriginal,

I had the KL3 on a brass UBH by Dspeck using 3x123 since I wanted maximun run-times on any lights with me (and it fitted in my cargo pants pockets too). We all had our own individual choices of lights and I found mine was just about perfect though I did have a slight problem with light bounce-back from the snow at times. Oh yea, I forgot to add that I also had a CMG headlamp that was used whenever possible. Like going out when it was pitch black (to dig a hole for you-know-what) and you needed two free hands. Makes me wish I also had a headlamp back in the service.

symes

Enlightened
My KL3 is a little bluish but still a nice level.

I keep it on a C3 body for 7 hours+...

I actually prefer the KL1, which for me is much whiter and feels brighter (despite all the stuff I read about the KL3 'being the brightest of the KL1-3s) - I keep that with my Vitalgear 3x123 tube which I interchange with the C3's head+P91+E2C in my proteus pack. This way I can have a very lightweight package with 7+ hours at 15 ish lumens or 20 mins at 200 albeit without a tactical tailcap - oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

With the KL3 on the C3 though I feel that I could drive nails in with it and still always get a good run-time reliable brightish light.

Despite the hideous cost of putting one together, I still like it as a backup light for power failures. Sad part is that in practice it offers very little that my 4AA 7LED doesn't for the same purpose - except that the latter can't take lithiums...

Complicated old world isn't it...

DumboRAT

Enlightened
Charles,

One of my "utility" uses for the C2/KL3 is as a tent-light and all-round light for camping.

Combining the unit with a Z48, it will "stand" on flat surfaces nicely, and the clip is also worry-free as the head barely generates any felt heat. And although it is by no means a floodlight, bounced off the dome of a tent, it will light up your whole interior quite nicely.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All.Most are saying that the KL1 is better and the KL3 does look a little large.So am I right in thinking that the KL3 is the only one that will fit a P body?If so the KL1 would not do me much good.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes the KL1 only fits on the E series surefires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the KL3 fits on all standard sized surefires (Z2, C2, 6P, G2, G2Z, C3, etc).