Incandecent to led conversion

bobsylvstr

Newly Enlightened
Can I convert a surefire E2D to LED? What do I need to get and from who? Will I be able to use rechargable batteries? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
There are two options for these lights. Either you get a replacement LED tower to replace the bulb, or you buy a whole new LED head.

Option one is the less desirable of the two for several reasons. The only two sources of these LED replacements that I know of are LumensFactory and our member Tana, who has a thread somewhere in the "Custom modified for sale" thread.

Option two, getting a new head, is better, gives you more choices to choose from, but cost more.

Either option will allow you to run rechargeables, you just need to make sure you match the proper cells with whatever LED you choose.

Here's a link to a LumensFactory page with all your options

https://www.lumensfactory.com/en/product.php?cid=23

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I put a Tana SingLED in mine and have no regrets.

Basically it involves sending him a PM stating interest. He will respond with options of tints, brightness levels and interface options. Once you decide your choice of options, if he does not have one in stock that you prefer he makes a custom unit based on your wishlist. It took about 2 weeks from the first PM to the day it arrived at my home from across the planet.

Being the E2 had about 60 lumens with a stock bulb I chose a 5000k tint that max's at 110 lumens. Once it arrived I picked the programming option that starts on 1%, then 25% then high with memory of last setting and used it at 25% most of the time until I put that one in a 1cell E. Then I bought a 350 lumen with 3500 tint using the same program option so it runs a lot like a stock E2D.

If I ever go back stock, it is just a matter of plucking out the Tana and inserting the SureFire (or Lumens Factory) bulb module. About $80 shipped. Look for the singLED thread in the customs section.

The VME option is also a wonderful choice. It is a smallish head that holds a P60 sized module. Yet outter diameter is pretty close to the original E head. Then you pick your drop in. And if you ever go back incan a P60 will work too.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Malkoff's are fantastic, solid choices, as well as the Tana drop ins. Probably the most robust money can buy. But it's also worth considering that a lot of non mission critical/non flashaholic users aren't keen on spending what CAN amount to more money on an LED upgrade than what the light itself is actually worth in value. I myself am not one of those people, and would take no issue getting a +$100 LED head to go on an E2E. Maybe the OP isn't either, in which case Tana and Malkoff dropins would be best.

For others looking to spend less, the LumensFactory options are good too.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one of my Malkoff/SF Lego's with the VME head people are talking about for visual reference OP...
QbVF7xb.jpg

FiZj9hr.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to try a Tana but, of the two I listed I definitely prefer the VME overall. It just has so much versatility with allowing use of many different P60 dropins. It is a bit on the heavy side with a brass dropin like a Malkoff but, still feels great in the hand overall imo.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

bobsylvstr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info. I have some 3.7 v cr123 batteries, do any of these options allow me to use those?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 1cell light in my photo actually needs an RCR to hold a steady high. Needs at least 3 volts. If using a cr123 and turn it to high it quickly drops to medium since the cr123 quickly sags below 3 volts under load. I keep a cr123 in it for in case I forgot and left it on high so it will almost automatically drop down to my chosen medium setting.

I do not remember for certain but I don't think it supports 2x 3.7 batteries as max volts is 6.0.
Edit: Range is 2.8 to 6.0 volts for the SingLED drop in's I have. End edit.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Provided that the LED in question runs fine on a single cell (3.7V), which most do, I see no reason to use 2X16340 RCR's in an E2E when 2500mah 16650's are available, and cheap.