Prometheus        
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The LLLL's

Unenlightened

Default Re: The LLLL's

Yeah I am still using this W61LLLL quite a bit in the evening, still on the same set of AA alkaline. The 5000K NLLLL is also quite nice, and unexpectedly bright. An embarrassment of lumens!

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Did the 5000k LLLLs get numbered like the WLLLLs?
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Yep!

God , Sarah Silverman again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ..Isaiah 54:17...

I think the real game-changer with this wonderful dropin, is that three-cell hosts can be reloaded with 2xAA alkaline when needed.

Yes regulated runtimes on lithium cells will be outstanding - so much so that the user would in all likelihood lose track of how far down the cells are, the prior loading having occurred months or even years earlier & subsequently forgotten.

I often carry spare lithium cells when on expeditions with my more-thirsty lights, but wouldn't bother with this one.
    And so I could imagine being rather surprised when fresh cells are finally needed.

Yep, this module will almost certainly reside in a three-cell SF, for such a possibility.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 05-05-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    And the letter is in the right place😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I think the real game-changer with this wonderful dropin, is that three-cell hosts can be reloaded with 2xAA alkaline when needed.
    Yes indeedy! My W61LLLL resides in an MD3 with a 22.3 head running 2xAA. The 5K4L got the same outfit, but I loaded her up with 3xCR123 just to see what's up--the higher voltage probably adds to my brightness observations. I've definitely got a soft spot for those MD3s, cell versatility counted as one of its chief attributes.

My MD3ís with TRI tailcap is my favorite Malkoff. For me the size is perfect and feels very balanced.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Using my LLLLs a lot and not having any problem doing so. It ends up being a really well balanced amount of light. Using the SST-20 4K M61N LLLL in a SureFire G2z on 16650 yields a very versatile source of light.

I come in to work in the morning from a bright sunny day, into a dimmly lit warehouse. Entering my studio is pitch black (with black walls!) save for the glow of my computer monitors. The LLLL even with the SST-20 produces enough light for me to readily see with freshly-sunlit-eyes all the cables, tripod legs, and equipment scattered around as I make my way through the space to my desk to drop off my bag. This alone I find impressive, 20-30 lumens proves to be enough with sunlight adapted eyes to see obstacles and trip hazards making your way through a suddenly dark space.

Indoors, particularly at night, it easily fills a large indoor living space with enough light to clearly see across the room, but also not so much light that it hurts to use in the dead of night. To me, this is the absolute best balance this dropin offers.

Outdoors, (props to all the images) it really does a lot for how little it is pushing OTF. I get the impression that it would make a stellar light to have in the woods where you need to see nasty roots and hazards, but don't want to light up your area like the 4th or completely demolish your night vision.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

4L SST at 160ft

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    This alone I find impressive, 20-30 lumens proves to be enough with sunlight adapted eyes to see obstacles and trip hazards making your way through a suddenly dark space.
    I've always thought that 20-30 lumens is a great output for an "all-rounder" task light. Reading the discussion of these LLLLs always takes me back to the early Philips Luxeon days when everyone was carrying Fenix L1Ps and was very satisfied with the light they provided for most tasks. I still have several lights from this era, in the same output range, that I use on a regular basis. They sure don't have the efficiency of the LLLLs though!
    - Terry

*Flashaholic*

I missed the boat on it completely (you know, life got in the way) but this is neat. What an infinite number of combinations. Would excel even on a 1x123. Or 3x123.
    Or 2x18650.
    Or 1x2170 if that ever happens.

I have to make do with my M61LLL configuration. I am currently running it on 3xAA Alkalines in a FiveMega body. That would be another awesome application for the Four Ls.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** ďLearn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someoneís life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.Ē ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Yes it would. I was thinking of doing a run test with one of my 4Lís on 3XAA but honestly I donít feel like waiting on it for so long lol

Been using my 4K4L from sun up this morning around the house doing electrical and some mild remodeling in the house. Perfect amount of light. Doesnít blind you up close yet enough power to reach when needed . Perfect output canít say that enough .

Quote Originally Posted by wicky998 View Post
    Been using my 4K4L from sun up this morning around the house doing electrical and some mild remodeling in the house. Perfect amount of light. Doesnít blind you up close yet enough power to reach when needed . Perfect output canít say that enough .
    Same bro. Been using mine all week. Wondering if Iíll ever have to charge again

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    Same bro. Been using mine all week. Wondering if Iíll ever have to charge again
    Itís a great light man , especially in a tank like the 6p . Running mine off a some primaries right now , once they die in a year or so Iíll try the 16650

Honestly with the runtimes of the 4Lís in real world use a set a batteries could last dam near a year! Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Honestly with the runtimes of the 4Lís in real world use a set a batteries could last dam near a year! Crazy.
    Exactly!

With the call for frost where I live I went out after dark to cover a few new plants and the 4L's was absolutely perfect for the task. Lit my path plenty far forward to avoid stepping on doggy made land mines between point and and point b.
    It's an output of a big ole 4D flashlight without all of the bulk.
    John 3:16

My 4L franken-9P setup. Real happy with it, although normally configured as a franken-6P. Can I call it a 6to9P?

Tail stands like a boss with the malkoff trunk.

Similar to Bismuth-209, a battery powered M61NLLLL exhibits a half-life of approximately 19 exayears, making the lumens essentially free forever.

Last edited by lion504; 05-10-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Like others have said, the LLLL is perfect for EDC use, just the right amount of light. So nice, lovey dovey.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

I kept thinking "man this thing is bright". "Must be 30 lumens" and stuff like that. Not that it really mattered to me. Then I decided to try it next to a SureFire G2x Pro since it has a known output on low of around 15 lumens. Side by side about a foot away from a wall had me thinking "man that 12 or so lumen 4L drop in sure is bright". It was pretty close to the brightness of the G2x Pro on low. Perhaps not quite as bright as the SureFire.
    John 3:16

Comparing mine it looks the same as my Malkoff 2XAA on medium. 25 lumens. Or close enough to count. But as you say itís a good amount of light.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I kept thinking "man this thing is bright". "Must be 30 lumens" and stuff like that. Not that it really mattered to me. Then I decided to try it next to a SureFire G2x Pro since it has a known output on low of around 15 lumens. Side by side about a foot away from a wall had me thinking "man that 12 or so lumen 4L drop in sure is bright". It was pretty close to the brightness of the G2x Pro on low. Perhaps not quite as bright as the SureFire.
    It's not easy to tell the difference between 50 and 100 lumens output without a direct, side-by-side comparison. Trying to tell a 5-10 lumen difference at low output is nearly impossible. Much of this has to do with our logarithmic relationship of stimulus and perception, but even a difference in beam pattern/profile can have a profound effect.
    - Terry

I just acquired a M61NLLLL 4000K SST on the BST forum, #4. Holy crap this beam is NICE!!!! My 5000K LLLL is moving to my truck to go in my 9P, can run 2xAA in emergencies. The 4000K is going into my Acrylic 3P. I would loooooove a full power M61 with this emitter.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    ... M61NLLLL 4000K SST ... Holy crap this beam is NICE!!!!
    +1. I had my doubts as to how it would look to an admitted tint snob.
    Last edited by lion504; 05-28-2020 at 08:07 PM.

Warm LLLL in e35 and zero res to run 18500, and with spacer can run all the 18350, 16340, and primaries I have. Itís going camping soon with m91b as back up.

Tried to post my first pic but slowly realized I had to pay to play! Lol
    Last edited by ledbetter; 05-23-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    Warm LLLL in e35 and zero res to run 18500, and with spacer can run all the 18350, 16340, and primaries I have. Itís going camping soon with m91b as back up.

Tried to post my first pic but slowly realized I had to pay to play! Lol
    How you liking that e35?

I think itís pretty awesome and versatile. Run times wonít compete with md2/3, but still pretty good. Even got an aa/14500 sleeve so basically can fit anything. Add a bored a19 and could even use 18650s. Oveready makes pretty cool stuff but kind of pricey, though they sell quality products(except maybe their exploding acrylic hosts!)Kind of wish I splurged and picked up one of those $100 tailcap/clips like you got but theyíre already out of stock.
    Last edited by ledbetter; 05-24-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Today, I rigged up my M61WLLLL in a SF G2, held by an Avenger Super Clamp, and it was used as a Key light for my wife's Zoom tele-conference. Perfect tungsten lighting color. I then used my M61NLLLL as the fill, and CC'd it with a 1/4 orange CTO gel to warm it up to around 2700-3000K, I think, as I did not go to the studio for my color meter. Very close in CT.

Set was was nice and cool as these lights do not get hot.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

I used mine to go to the bathroom last night. 😁

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast