The Fenix-Store        
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516

Thread: The LLLL's

Default Re: The LLLL's

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I used mine to go to the bathroom last night. 
    Hope the high cri was helpful! Lol

And I cant remember who posted that he used the LLLL as a background ceiling bounce light while watching a movie, and thatís what I did. A perfect amount of light.

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    Hope the high cri was helpful! Lol

And I cant remember who posted that he used the LLLL as a background ceiling bounce light while watching a movie, and thatís what I did. A perfect amount of light.
    That was me! Itís absolutely perfect ceiling bouncing the M61WLLLL while watching Netflix.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Default Re: Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    A 6P with an M61LLLL (regardless of tint) is a mighty fine lighting tool.
    I don't understand the purpose of a grossly depowered "LLLL" module. Does it achieve some kine of Moon Mode with very little output??

It's about as bright as a 2D Maglite incan with new batteries. Plenty of light for a bunch of tasks if you recall the beam of a 2D Maglite with new batteries.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    It's about as bright as a 2D Maglite incan with new batteries. Plenty of light for a bunch of tasks if you recall the beam of a 2D Maglite with new batteries.
    Never used a 2D -- my big Mag life started with 3D. Couldn't recall the incan output but only the hotspot was barely usable.
    (The setup has since been upgraded to Mag85.)

But the characteristic of an incan beam profile is so much different to that of LED. So can't really simply underdrive an LED (to single-digit current levels?) just to achieve the incan-equivalent output.
    For someone with weak eyesight I do find the LLLL setting way off. IMO LL would be the absolute minimum if I were to invest on a low-power Malkoff module.

Quote Originally Posted by yazkaz View Post
    I don't understand the purpose of a grossly depowered "LLLL" module.
    Runtime. Around 25 lumens, IIRC. Plenty of light for majority of tasks. Obviously not good for SAR. But for disaster readiness, itís perfect. Never needs new batteries. Never.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Yes, exactly. The LLLL (4L) is pretty useful in the dark.

And I'm not saying that to be funny. When there is other ambient light around, higher output is more useful, but in the dark it works great.

Personally, I consider the "LL" (2L) to be a "normal / general purpose" level of output.
    Last edited by archimedes; 06-14-2020 at 07:21 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

While the LLLL level of light may have its place, a flashlight dedicated to it isnít a particularly practical thing to the vast majority of people, the vast majority of time. I respectfully (but strongly) disagree that it would be a good choice in a disaster.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
    While the LLLL level of light may have its place, a flashlight dedicated to it isnít a particularly practical thing to the vast majority of people, the vast majority of time. I respectfully (but strongly) disagree that it would be a good choice in a disaster.
    Why. I want to hear how the flashlight I use 90% of the time at a level of light brighter than what was used for years and years is somehow not practical now. I think your statement is correct except in reverse. Most people donít need 1000 lumens of light.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

A number of posts have been moved to the Malkoff LLLL thread.
    Please be so kind as to reply-to-thread, or edit the title of your subsequent reply to bring the title correspondence back on-topic, thank you in advance.

Good idea. Btw howís everyone enjoying there 4Lís. I use One of mine pretty regular in a Z2G with a 16650. Almost since the day I got it and havenít even bothered to check the battery.Im not really going to go searching for a better/longer running Dropin. Really no point. They rock.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time, with regards to these kinds of low output drop-ins. While I get the desire for large voltage range and single mode reliability and such, but my question is: Are these drop-ins really, way more efficient the say a H17F driver, set on a low output mode? I just find myself enjoying the ability to choose the correct output for the occasion.
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Probably not. I like them for the reasons you just listed. Simplicity Being the big one.Followed very closely by the fact I can run it in many different hostís Malkoff/surefire. So I can carry a smaller light or if need be a larger light for more runtime.I can carry my C2 one day or my MD1 another. Itís the option to not be stuck using the same light thatís cool.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I recently got my first Malkoff (18650 xt) and I think it is great. Is the Wildcat (warm) more of a light for hiking/walking on trails? In other words, how do the two complement each other as far as function, in addition to their hardiness and good looks? Thanks

Default RE: The LLLL's

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel;
    A number of posts have been moved to the Malkoff LLLL thread.
    Please be so kind as to reply-to-thread, or edit the title of your subsequent reply to bring the title correspondence back on-topic, thank you in advance.
    Thanks good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by yazkaz;
    I don't understand the purpose of a grossly depowered "LLLL" module. Does it achieve some kine of Moon Mode with very little output??

Quote Originally Posted by Tusk;
    May I ask if either of you own an HDS? It's more or less the same school of thought. 30 lumens is a LOT of light when you think about actual moonlight levels that are very popular with enthusiasts, things that make lights like Zebralights (or any rotary really) very popular.

In any setting at night, 30 lumens is a sufficient amount of light for a lot of tasks, even lighting a small room. Outside, it's a very surprising amount of light, more than enough to navigate woods at night without being some glowing-alien object moving through the woods.

I think "disaster" is meant more in the regards with hard/ limited access to power sources, or needing to conserve them at all costs. Presently (though I may be a tad biased....) I do not think there is a better option on the market today. I would say find a light that does 20-30 lumens, and see how far it gets you. See what that output affords you in the real world. I think you may be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post
    I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time, with regards to these kinds of low output drop-ins. While I get the desire for large voltage range and single mode reliability and such, but my question is: Are these drop-ins really, way more efficient the say a H17F driver, set on a low output mode? I just find myself enjoying the ability to choose the correct output for the occasion.

Regarding runtimes, well, it's more efficient per output even on the lowest lm versions (of the LLLL) than any Zebralight at equivalent output (even slightly brighter), and they are generally regarded as having the most efficient drivers out there. I do not think there are more efficient rigs, particularly in such a rugged and durable format.
    Last edited by dotCPF; 06-15-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurian View Post
    I recently got my first Malkoff (18650 xt) and I think it is great. Is the Wildcat (warm) more of a light for hiking/walking on trails? In other words, how do the two complement each other as far as function, in addition to their hardiness and good looks? Thanks
    The wildcat is definitely geared towards hiking/camping/trails and woods. Thatís what I do with mine. Itís a ton of light with a huge no hotspot beam. Itís limited in range and meant for 100-150 feet ahead but with a VERY wide beam pattern that really leaves nothing in the dark when your walking. Now one thing I have found with it is it comes with a diffuser film on it which gives it its wide beam. But if you take that off it will throw 150 yards easy but with a huge hotspot thatís wider then any of my M61/M91 and is a very good light for longer throw when you still need a wide beam.

I would have wrongly assumed that if I took another light, perhaps an Emisar D4 or a BOSS 70 or whatever and had it at a similar low output as my 5k LLLL that the efficiency would have been close between all the lights... pure assumption on my part. What is it that makes the LLLL last so long? I thought I read that on the 5k version it had a special high efficiency emitter, would that be part of it? That being said, if true then side by side would the 4k and 5k version be just as efficient or would the 5k last longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One needs experience to understand that 25 lumens is more than enough. Also a good idea is to study how dark adapted eyes work, I suggest reading the HDS papers.

Outdoors, my most used level on my Zebralights (headlamp or not) is 22 lumens. Perfect to navigate in the city or the woods.

Also, one favorite of mine is going for a stroll in the woods using my Surefire G2X in low (15 lumens).
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LED View Post
    Also, one favorite of mine is going for a stroll in the woods using my Surefire G2X in low (15 lumens).
    Same.

Took my recently acquired LLLL into the woods camping this past weekend, and boy was it perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

Sorry K- I read your thing twice and still messed it up, not very good with internet things. Should be better now

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage Studio View Post
    I would have wrongly assumed that if I took another light, perhaps an Emisar D4 or a BOSS 70 or whatever and had it at a similar low output as my 5k LLLL that the efficiency would have been close between all the lights... pure assumption on my part. What is it that makes the LLLL last so long? I thought I read that on the 5k version it had a special high efficiency emitter, would that be part of it? That being said, if true then side by side would the 4k and 5k version be just as efficient or would the 5k last longer?
    Sooooo I don't know the runtimes or current draws of those lights in particular at equivalent outputs but I can do some science tonight to see. It could be close, because quad/ triple lights are able to use a much lower current draw across all 3 or 4 LEDs to produce the same amount of output. That being said, they are totally different designs and methods of being run. I think the Malkoff Dropins are more or less just an LED and resistor to regulate power and a mechanical switch. The Emisar (or even a Zebralight) use electronic switches and drivers, albeit different with the Emisar using an FET and the ZL using buck/boost.

From some quick internet numbers, loosely presented here as evidence: At just under 2 lumens, the D4 draws about 9.6mA and will last 13 days (3000mah cell), while the SC600w will do almost 3 lumens for over 19 days (assuming 3000mAh, but could be 3500 which still works out to be superior as well). Having really run Zebralights on their low modes in a few time-tests, I know that these numbers are roughly guessed for accuracy and tend to be much more conservative in terms of underestimating total time. I digress slightly, but I have calculated before the differences between a Zebralight vs Malkoff LLLL at similar or close outputs- and the Malkoff gets about a day's worth of time over the ZL estimates.

And this is all ignoring voltage versatility of the M61 dropin, and versatility of the dropin on the whole.

Another factor is beam profile and intensity- the hotspot from even my LLLL dropins is in some cases more intense than a full turbo blast of any D4 I own (not to mention thermal stepdowns on the D4s end) and I think this is very important to keep in mind as lumens/ hours don't exactly tell the full story of how useful a beam is.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

dotCPF, thank you for that lengthy reply. Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516