35/35 H4 recommendation requested

eggsalad

Enlightened
Hello CPF friends!

Just today I have purchased a 2008 Genuine Scooter Co. Buddy 150 scooter.

It needs a little love. One item is a new headlight bulb, which appears to be original. Bulb is a 35w/35w H4. Plenty of good recommendations here for 55/60 H4, but that's too many watts for a scooter electrical system.

This is the only place I trust. Any thoughts on finding a good bulb?

Thank you!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There is no 35/35w H4 bulb. H4, by definition, is a 60/55w bulb. The 35/35w version is an HS1 bulb, and it has a slightly different base to prevent drop-in interchangeability with an H4. Philips markets an HS1 +30. Osram has an HS1 +90 (blue tint around the high beam, colorless around the low beam) and a +50 (colorless). Assuming mostly low-beam usage, I'd probably go for the +90.

eggsalad

Enlightened
There is no 35/35w H4 bulb. H4, by definition, is a 60/55w bulb. The 35/35w version is an HS1 bulb

Thanks for the correction! No wonder I was having difficulty searching!

And not that I question your wisdom, but all my reading has left me with the impression that the higher the +XX, the shorter the lamp lige. Which may be more of an issue on a vehicle with the low beam on anytime the vehicle is running. Am I off base?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
On a bike of any kind, motor or pedal powered, you are an extremely vulnerable road user. You need all the light you can get, and even if you have to replace the bulb nineteen times a year it's still cheaper than getting in a crash.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the higher the +XX, the shorter the lamp life. Which may be more of an issue on a vehicle with the low beam on anytime the vehicle is running. Am I off base?
You're absolutely correct, but as -Virgil- points out, you're not just a vulnerable road user, but an extremely vulnerable one. Bulbs are cheap, scooters and medical bills and funerals aren't.

Buy at least three now, carry a spare and put the other in the garage, and remember you can switch to high beam in a low beam failure emergency to get safely off the road to do a bulb swap when needed. With luck, the bulb will fail at first lighting, rather than while already burning on the road, but be prepared nonetheless. Don't forget to then move the garage one to the active carry position and order another to replenish the garage.

Also, wearing a safety vest, even if not required by law, or at least carrying one so you can put it on before doing your bulb swap, would be a good idea. Carrying a small LED headlamp with you so you can light up your bulb swap hands-free is also advised. A cheap LED one is better than none. Put lithium cells in it so you can count on it.

In the excitement, remember to let the headlamp assembly cool before changing so you don't burn your fingers, and of course carefully handle the new bulb. You don't want it exploding later on from finger oils.

If this scooter has 4-way flashers, be sure to use them doing this activity. If not, I'd suggest leaving the left turn signal on so approaching vehicles will exercise caution or potentially move over, thinking you'll be about to pull back onto the road. In either case, leave the parking lamps on so other drivers can more easily identify the vehicle type. (Also, there's a simple mod to add 4-way functionality by means of a jumper and a switch; I'll look for the Popular Science/Mechanix Illustrated article about it. It's for cars, but can be done on that scooter easily enough, probably.)

I can't tell if that's a glass lens or plastic; obviously lens condition is important and a 12+year old plastic lens might be in poor condition.

Finally: That thing looks awesome (looked at a few pics on images.google.com and eBay). Nice retrofuturistic look.

Last edited:

eggsalad

Enlightened
Update: Amazon being what it is in these times (an order for essentials placed 2 weeks ago hasn't even shipped yet) combined with my extreme distrust of their 3rd party seller program, I've decided to hold off for a moment on buying the good bulbs that Virgil recommended a few posts above. For the moment, I found a lot of 4 (what appear to be) NOS Narva HS1 on eBay for dirt money 4/$15, shipped. If nothing else, they will allow me to move forward with my project immediately, as well as making for emergency spares once I get a good bulb.

niksfish

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I have just registered in this forum. I am a motorcycle user, and I want my lights in perfect condition. I'll make a thread later to ask about that. Your forum seems perfect, in terms of the knowledge you have in this specific area. I really had a hard time in searching for good info.

(Also, there's a simple mod to add 4-way functionality by means of a jumper and a switch; I'll look for the Popular Science/Mechanix Illustrated article about it. It's for cars, but can be done on that scooter easily enough, probably.)

I am interested in that mod. If you can post it that would be great. Mabye it is already in youtube, I didn't search.