Benefits of Incandecent Bulbs

JOshooter

Enlightened
I'm putting together a flyer for my dad on the benefits of LEDs and incandecent bulbs. I have plenty of information of why LEDs should be chosen, but a lack of info on why incandecent bulbs are useful.

What I have so far is:
Brighter Output
Farther Throw
Bulbs Are Cheaper for Replacement

I'm looking for some suggestions of WHY incandecent bulbs are better than LEDs.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing I can think of is throw. I don't think I will ever buy another incandecent.

Oh forgot about money,incandecent are cheaper if you go to Walmart.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
JOshooter,

I believe incandescents give a color that's more friendly and inviting. There's almost a magic about them that fluorescent and LED sources cannot imitate (as yet).

You ask why. The golden glow from a hot wire stimulates archetypal memories from hundreds of thousands of years back, when our ancestors huddled in security around blazing coals which emitted the same type of spectrum that we get from incandescent bulbs.

I believe incandescents are programmed into our genes.

Paul

----------------------

P.S. Incandescents also give off considerable amounts of infra-red radiation, just as a fire does. In fact, I can use my 35 watt Mag 3D mod with WA 01185 bulb to heat skin even to the point of pain. But by using it prudently, it's warm and comforting on the neck and shoulders.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are talking about flashlights, I presume.

Let's see. If you drop a flashlight with an incandescent bulb, you might hear the tinkle of broken glass. This could be a pleasant sound to some, sort of like those bleeping wind chimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incandescents aren't just brighter; they are scaleable. Larger/stronger bulb + more power = more light. LED's can't do this.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incandescents need very little heat sinking making for a lighter flashlight and one less engineering consideration.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JOshooter,

I have a group of friends that insist that incandescent lights offer a more detailed view of what you are looking at. They insist that LED lights flatten everything out and you loose contrast.

We also argue over the color rendition of items viewed under incandescent and LED light.

Since more testing is required to come up with meaningful results, I will go and play with my lights some more...

Tom

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox, I'm inclined to agree with your friends. When I need to see detail that's not right in front of me,(more that 10 feet away) I always grab an incandescent. LED's leave things looking a little flat.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Go to surefire and read some articles there. He talks of lumens/watt ratio for led and incan bulbs. Incan beats leds if done properly.

I also was told a story of someone who started an emergency fire using an incan bulb held against some toilet paper one night.

mylan

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion LED lights do flatten everything out and you lose contrast and you get a headache from trying to see what you are looking at and then you return your Arc AA and buy a PT Blast and a Rage and are more happy then you thought you could ever be with a plastic light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif