NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 119 of 119

Thread: 18650XT

  1. #91
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: 18650XT

    thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    The hi/lo ring come with the head. Already installed.
    Malkoff M61T, Jetbeam E21A 5700k 9080 AAA.

  2. #92
    INFRNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bottom Of Pikes Peak
    Posts
    2,971

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Yes, with the hound dogs, they use a larger ring that has the driver mounted to the back side, then wired to the emitter.
    Whatever you do don't unscrew it. I have posted pics of the older versions in the past. There is a risk of breaking the wires and let me tell you it's not easy to fix if it happens.

  3. #93
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Thanks
    could this be edc able
    Malkoff M61T, Jetbeam E21A 5700k 9080 AAA.

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,237

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    could this be edc able
    Sure, if your pants are baggy enough. I carried mine in my left pocket a few days ago when it was warm enough for shorts.

    There's no way I could comfortably pocket carry it when wearing any of my traditional blue jeans.

  5. #95
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,283

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Depends on how big you and your pockets are!😁. It fits in a coat pocket very well and it will go in the back pockets head up pretty good but honestly, she got a big head on her shoulders.You probably could but it wouldnít be very comfortable. At least not for me.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  6. #96

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Spotted a lone Koala with it last night way up a eucalypt next to the local public pool.

  7. #97
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,283

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Are you in Australia mate?😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  8. #98

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Are you in Australia mate?
    Yes i live in Brisbane, i always koala spot when out with the dogs at night.

  9. #99
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: 18650XT

    the flat white in this is 5700k?
    is there different K in the E2XT ? ( 5400 ) ?
    I know Vinh also has a flat white I think at that is at 6500k

    thanks.
    Malkoff M61T, Jetbeam E21A 5700k 9080 AAA.

  10. #100

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    the flat white in this is 5700k?-Yes
    is there different K in the E2XT ? ( 5400 ) ?-5500k
    I know Vinh also has a flat white I think at that is at 6500k

    thanks.

  11. #101
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: 18650XT

    cheers Daffy!, -
    Malkoff M61T, Jetbeam E21A 5700k 9080 AAA.

  12. #102

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    cheers Daffy!, -
    Happy to assist!!!

  13. #103

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Glad I found this thread and not sure how I missed it. I have been wanting a HD 18650 and pounced when they came available recently. After ordering to my dismay I noticed it was listed as only 700 Lm, but the Lux was massively higher. In passing I had read it before ordering but wasnít thinking straight and it dawned on me that the older HD 18650 put out more light and this one was called the XT like the blasty scout heads.
    I am now very excited to say the least.

    I will compare and post beam shots with some other blasty Malkoffs in the next week or so.

  14. #104
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,283

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Yes this new 18650 is ALL throw. And it does that very well. But as you say itís nothing like the older 18650 HD. That had much more spill but not nearly as much throw. I posted a few comparisons with them not best pictures but might give you a clue.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  15. #105

    Default Re: 18650XT

    I saw them and am excited. I thought they were great pictures that illustrated the difference between HD 18650s. Those pictures got me excited.

    I will post my results when I get the light. Thanks!

  16. #106
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,283

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Your more then welcome. I think it all depends on what your looking for as they are very different lights. For trails and woods my 18650 HD is better. But for longer work or field use the XT stomps it. It does have spill but not as useful as the older 18650. Different lights both very good at what they were designed for.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  17. #107

    Default 18650XT

    I live in farm country. Looking forward to the arrival of the Red today.
    Last edited by StagMoose; 05-09-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Content change

  18. #108

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Quote Originally Posted by StagMoose View Post
    I live in farm country. Looking forward to the arrival of the Red today.
    Mail-Individual brought me my new Hound Dog 18650 XT Red today. I got out and did some beam shots with some other Malkoffs for comparison. The CW version is en route and I will be doing some stuff with that when it comes. I was a bit rushed so sorry for the poor quality.

    All lights were powered with fully charged high-drain 18650s, with the exception of the MDC, which was using a 16340.

    Some notes: Red does not photograph well, at least not with my limited skills and iPhone. But I am more impressed than I expected to be with this Red version. We have a lot of cats around and I was catching their eyes all over the place with this light. Additionally it really lights up the woods better than pictures show. Highly impressed. It should work well to assist in identifying and dispatching varmints. Future tests will be done at greater distances.

    A little UV fun at the end too.

    Hope these are helpful to someone.


    https://imgur.com/a/PxXZeWg

  19. #109

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Nice, still gotta love the power of the hot.

  20. #110

    Default Re: 18650XT

    The HOT is really a great all-arounder. I like them all but the HOT gets a lot of use and is carried frequently.

  21. #111

    Default Re: 18650XT

    It wasnít the best night for beam shots due to pollen/ particulate in the air. However I was able to get a couple anyway. I started off chasing some coyotes and deer and ended up in spots I wasnít familiar with distances in.

    The 18650 XT was only tested with the 1 degree diffuser due to time. It out throws the Super, but has less spill as will be seen in photos.

    Both are great, and the portability of the XT really adds value.

    Ran the XT on a 30Q and the Super on Double 3500 MAh10A Orbtronics.

    https://imgur.com/a/zfoY9CE

  22. #112
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,283

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Great shots. I have been using my new HD the last couple of nights and it really is a nice setup. Because of the high lux itís plenty useful on low for walking and 200 yards is a no brainer for it. It does get out there. That being said I am glad I grabbed the last version 18650 HD when they were still available. It is much more useful at closer ranges with much more spill but doesnít come close to the new boy with throw.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  23. #113

    Default Re: 18650XT

    It is quite fantastic. For my uses the Super and XT are ideal. I look forward to doing additional testing with the 5 degree diffuser and no diffuser. Iím guessing that the 5 degree diffuser wonít get much use and with no diffuser it will be more of a small throw beam.

    The Super even in the Cool tint is much warmer than the XT. Iím not too concerned with tint in a thrower, but the CRI is better with the Super to my eye, which is helpful when looking over valleys in fields and identifying deer vs Coyote at a few hundred yards.

    TG, do you have the ability to measure how how many amps the XT is pulling? Iíd like to know for battery selection. Since it is direct drive I wanted to give it as much as I could with the 30Q. Iíd doubt it need more than 10-15 amps but Iíd like a number if possible.

    May just need to buy a meter.

  24. #114
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,283

    Default Re: 18650XT

    I do and have done that. Just canít remember what the number was😁😁 Iíll check today and let you know. If memory serves it was in the 2-2.5 amp range.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  25. #115

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Iíd appreciate it. I have an ooooold analog multimeter that just canít be accurate. If it is only drawing 2-3 amps that would be fantastic. No need for fancy batteries.

  26. #116
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,283

    Default Re: 18650XT

    My 18650 XT is pulling 2.8 A on high and 135 MA on low with a keeppower 18650/3500
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  27. #117

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Thanks TG! I was thinking since it was direct drive it might be thirstier, but still is pretty reasonable for 10A capable 18650s.

  28. #118
    *Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,283

    Default Re: 18650XT

    Yes and at only 130-140 ma draw on low means sheís got a pretty long runtime as well.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  29. #119

    Default Re: 18650XT

    I didnít take any pictures this evening, but I did take the XT out without any diffuser in it just to see what it would do.

    Lots of pollen/ particulate in the air so pictures at distance wonít turn out great. What I did test was low mode, and Iíd like to get some pictures on a more clear night.

    On low and no diffuser the XT will punch as far as my M61 HOT. It will provide about the same amount of light at 106 yards. The HOT obviously has loads more spill and is brighter, but the throw of the XT on low is pretty incredible.

    Even with the pollen in the air I was shooting it across some fields and lighting up a hedge of tree tops over 260 yds away on High.

    With no diffuser the light has a lot of rings in the spill that are very evident within the first 50 yards if there is something for the light to land on. Otherwise there is a big hot spot really pushing out there. I may just run it this way and sacrifice some spill quality for the extra punch.

    Really digging this new head. Looking forward to a clear night.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •