Acebeam        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18650XT

Default Re: 18650XT

Quote Originally Posted by Fish 14 View Post
    I don't know. I'm pretty sure that Gene's e2 ht and e2sht are legit throwers.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

A true thrower would be rated at at least 1000 meters to over a mile in my book.

Gene told me he never planned on making a thrower but that was before the E2HT was released.

He will need to use a reflector to get a true thrower, even my mediocre Olight M3XS-UT Kills the Hound Dog Super in throw and is almost the same size as the Hound Dog Super. I will get some beam shots soon of all my lights.

He could use an aspheric lens like Silent Thunder Ordanance does, but then you have zero spill and it is useless even at 2.5 million candela.

I sure would like to see a reflector in the Hound Dog Super and 1,500 lumens. That would be good for over 1000 meters FL1 So good for 500 yards easy.

Oh Iím thinking the 18650XT is primarily for throw. The spill is not really enough to walk with like the standard 1865 HD.If I were in semi open area Iíd grab my XT without a doubt but for thick woods or trails Iím thinking the standard HD would be much better. Havenít had a chance to test it out yet.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

I carry my HD 18650 (for open space blast)and the v6 WC (for dense woods) for trail trekking. And an HDS EDC. The HD does not give enough situational awareness to use as an exclusive trail walker - need a different beam for different spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Cree XHP 70 LED View Post
    A true thrower would be rated at at least 1000 meters to over a mile in my book.

Gene told me he never planned on making a thrower but that was before the E2HT was released.

He will need to use a reflector to get a true thrower, even my mediocre Olight M3XS-UT Kills the Hound Dog Super in throw and is almost the same size as the Hound Dog Super.
    Pocket throwers.
    I encountered somewhat different observations. I have yet to find a more compact setup than e2xt, e2xtd and especially e2ht with cr123 body, that have equal or greater candella for that size.
    I compared a couple of compact EagletacVN throwers with reflectors, with larger heads than Malkoff , and malkoff holds its ground exceptionally well.

Ya My HDS lights stay home when I hit the woods. My Malkoffís are just soooo much better for trails and fields. But my 18650 HD has served me well on the trails. My elzetta AVS 9 volts is absolutely great for this work as well.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

I sanded one side of a clear HDS window and now have a diffuse N45 beam - at 35L, excellent for trails and as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Sparky View Post
    Pocket throwers.
    I encountered somewhat different observations. I have yet to find a more compact setup than e2xt, e2xtd and especially e2ht with cr123 body, that have equal or greater candella for that size.
    I compared a couple of compact EagletacVN throwers with reflectors, with larger heads than Malkoff , and malkoff holds its ground exceptionally well.

Yes for a pocket thrower they are probably very good. I am talking about a full sized (2) 18650 cell light. I am going to get one of the small pocket throwers, either the E2HT or the E2XT, but would like to see a Malkoff 1000-1500 meter FL1 standard light.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Ya My HDS lights stay home when I hit the woods. My Malkoffís are just soooo much better for trails and fields. But my 18650 HD has served me well on the trails. My elzetta AVS 9 volts is absolutely great for this work as well.

TG is your Charlie bored out to 18 mm or are you using CR123A's on the trail? I need to place another 72 pack order for some SF123A cells, I am down to about 3 dozen.

Standard 123ís I donít like boring

Quote Originally Posted by Cree XHP 70 LED View Post
    TG is your Charlie bored out to 18 mm or are you using CR123A's on the trail? I need to place another 72 pack order for some SF123A cells, I am down to about 3 dozen.
    Panosonic industrial lithium s cr123 .70 cents each. I can pm you the distributor if you'd like.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

The new Dog arrived today. Naturally, I stopped what I was working on, grabbed an MD2 body, and checked out the lovely beam.

Then I removed the bezel, dropped the diffuser out to let it perform like it was meant to.

Good man! Yep if your a white wall hunter with no filters on her you will not like this one bit. BUT if you use it for what itís for itís fantastic.

Wow!! Iím impressed!!

At 300 yards, it clearly illuminated a tree's trunk. The Hound Dog Super didn't reach that tree at all.

I didn't even take the E2XT out of my pocket.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 04-04-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Ya she can throw. It puts light out there plenty far for me. Further then I can see😁

It definitely can throw! Iím a warm tint hicri snob. I picked one of these up and love it. Yeah, the beam is kind of ugly without the filters. I donít mind it at all because the light is all one color. Take it outside and enjoy it. I can light things up all the way to the end of my street with it and have no problem covering my whole yard, about 200 feet, on low. In my opinion this is the best HD yet. I hope to see a Wildcat to match soon. This smaller format of 1x18650 with more than reasonable output and run time is perfect. To me that is what Malkoff is all about. The only improvement would be having the ability to run 2xcr123a in emergencies. I imagine doing this on low wouldnít be a problem. Perhaps high would be ok on short bursts?

Ya she can throw. It puts light out there plenty far for me. Further then I can see
    Same here, when i first started collecting i began with big lights and big lumens which is useless in an urban environment where i live.
    I have plenty of smaller lights now and loads of rechargeable cells.
    If i want throw I'll drag out the W30 or W10Gen 2, usually the latter as its way smaller and with a green filter attached has a usable spill.

Well gene has it listed at 6 volts max. But on high with 2X123ís sheís drawing 3.2 amps! On low only 130ish Mah. So low isnít a problem at all and not going to get into if itís ok on high. Opinions vary. But Iíll tell you this my Great Danes decided to make a break for it last night around 10:00 PM an me an my new HD found them easily ďabout 100 yards down the street playing with a mailbox. Not smart dogs Danes areĒ. It lit them up with no problem and after a few tense minutes where they scared the hell out of my neighbors dogs they were back in safe and sound. Now to see how and where 140 pounds of dog got out UNDER a fence🤔

2xcr123 on high is potentially dangerous. A while back I asked Gene and my best recollection is that on high it's a bad idea.

Did they go through the fence? My neighbor has two Great Danes. Not sure how much they weigh, but they are big. Always makes me nervous when they come running. They stop at the fence and put their front paws on top. The fence looks like and sounds like it isnt going to hold! The one is a nice dog. The older and larger one, not so much.

They got out under it. And there the biggest babies in the world. If anyone did break in theyíd jump on them looking for a treat lol. Of course Iím betting if someone tried to hurt them or my family it would be a different story. They are very strong.

Roman across the street got loose one time. I tried to grab his collar and walk him back. Strong is an understatement. He did not like my attempt to grab hold and pulled very hard. Nothing like my 85 lb lab. Back on track here. I don't want to derail the topic. I'm Happy the new HD served you well.

What I like so much about it is that even on low this dam things throws a ton. It is very useful and with such a low draw will run for quite awhile. The spill of course is not great but it does reach out there.

Friend has 2 danes as well. escape artists when they want to be and have dug holes under the fence every time.
    Both gentle giants but they have been spoiled from pups.

Low is enough for most uses. High is just plain fun! More spill would be nice, but I have other lights for that. This fills a role very nicely. To me it is a true thrower. I like to have the ability to put light where I want it without lighting up half the neighborhood.

can any MD body be used ?
    what is best ?.
    could I use unprotected cells with the XT Head and a Body?
    thanks.
    Malkoff M61T, Jetbeam E21A 5700k 9080 AAA.

The new hound dog is 6 volts max. It was designed for a single 18650. The head will physically fit any MD2,MD3, or MD4 but you canít go above 6 volts. So it should only be used on a MD2 to make sure you donít blow the head.

Thanks a Lot TG!. now I dont know if I should just get an md2 with that XT head now, or wait to see if gene will end up making an M61 with the same LED - Group Buy.

thanks.

The new hound dog is 6 volts max. It was designed for a single 18650. The head will physically fit any MD2,MD3, or MD4 but you canít go above 6 volts. So it should only be used on a MD2 to make sure you donít blow the head.
    Last edited by neutralwhite; 04-06-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Standard 123ís I donít like boring

Yes mine too, I will be including it in the beamshots when I do them on April 22.

The surprisingly high temperatures for today prompted me to change into cargo shorts at noon. What was clipped into the left pocket......yep, the 18650 XT on an MD2 with TriCap and Dark Sucks clip. Just like the HD 18650, it's been completely comfortable, and I basically forgot I wasn't carrying an MD2.

" The High/Low is controlled by head rotation. "

so does this need a high low brass ring on an MD2 still then?.
    thanks.

The hi/lo ring come with the head. Already installed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast