Unusual Request for a led that that gets hot

doctordun

Enlightened
I read an article from a guy in Canada who had modified his led light in such a way to draw a constant 3amps and use the body as a heat sink. He now has an efficient hand warmer that never runs out of heat, since he can carry extra rechargeable batteries.
I suffer greatly in cold weather. I am in my 70's.
Electric hand warmers just don't last very long before needing a recharge.
Replaceable batteries would be a solution.
That is why this guy when with an LED light that gets very warm. It solved his problem.

Are their any lights on the market that would fit this need out of the box.
The main goal would to get hot, so I would guess high end lights would not work. My HDS's and Malkoff's get warm sometime, but never to the point I could use them as a hand warmer.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emisar D4 with a few high drain 18650 cells. I read a review which measured the light pulling 20A.

Or the FW3A.

I think both of these have adjustable thermal config.

But what about the zippo catalytic hand warmer? Runs about 21 hrs before refill. And only takes a few mins to refill with more lighter fluid.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get heated gloves that are a lot cheaper and warmer and safer than a flashlight. Also, even on some of my modded flashlights that get too hot to hold after a minute the heat only lasts half that in cold weather then you are back to holding a cold chunk of metal. It's not practical.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a Malkoff WC v6 in a MD2 body [emoji23]. Or a Zebralight SC600 Mk IV

My Zebralight SC600w IV Plus gets toasty warm without being burning hot. And it stays like that for quite awhile. It's probably a good choice.

You could also go with a cheaper options like an FW3A or Emisar D4. On bothlights the head will get very hot, but then the temp regulation will kick in to cool them. But at anytime you can reset it to max by double-clicking. However, be warned that if you turn on a D4 or probably even an FW3A in your pocket, you might end up burning a hole through your pocket from the very large amount of emitted light.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
Last edited:

J_C

Enlightened
Makes no sense to me. Just build a larger battery pack to use with existing handwarmers that you find to have too little runtime.

holygeez03

Enlightened
The Zippo hand warmers that use lighter fluid work great... I use two of the smaller "6 Hour" versions (one for each pocket) when I am shooting and can't wear thick gloves.

About $13 on Amazon...

jrgold

Enlightened
The Zippo hand warmers that use lighter fluid work great... I use two of the smaller "6 Hour" versions (one for each pocket) when I am shooting and can't wear thick gloves.

About $13 on Amazon...

I've been eyeing those for awhile. How's the smell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holygeez03

Enlightened
I use the Zippo Premium fluid... which I am pretty sure is the same "low odor" formula as the official handwarmer fluid (if that still exists).

The hand warmers are designed to be kept in the velvet pouches that they come with... the pouches regulate airflow and keep the hot metal from being touched directly. Between the low odor fluid and the pouches, the smell is not bad at all. When I am in my car, I can detect it... outside, no way. The only time the smell is somewhat strong is indoors when I first fill and light them.

Get at least 2.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Also jrgold... you may want to note that the "6 Hour" version is a reasonable size (a little bigger than a Zippo lighter) and the original "12 Hour" version is pretty honkin' big in my opinion.

jrgold

Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. These are on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk