Grip ring solution for an HDS? Do not like the default barrel-bulge/twist "grip"...

wweiss

Enlightened
Grip ring solution for an HDS? Do not like the default barrel-bulge/twist "grip"...

I love my HDS - carry it everywhere - but do not like the default barrel-bulge/twist "grip" when I want to flash a momentary 200L out into the woods - my fingers always find the screw head or the stop, if I have cuts (which is usual) it irritates...
I find a grip ring setup on the battery barrel much more comfortable (and balanced) and even pocketable as the ring acts as a stand-off from a Spyderco Delica and other misc. junk I carry.

Ordered some silicone grip rings that fit 1"dia. but they slip on the knurling with each pull/use. Anyone else have this irritation?
I need to find a solution to 'silicone' the ring to the battery barrel securely.

HDS w grip ring IMG_4093.jpgHDS w grip ring IMG_4094.jpgHDS w grip ring IMG_4091.jpg

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Grip ring solution for an HDS? Do not like the default barrel-bulge/twist "grip"

Idk how easy they are to find but surefire had grip rings and lumens factory has some grip rings.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Grip ring solution for an HDS? Do not like the default barrel-bulge/twist "grip"

A CPF'er names AZPops did this using a grommet with an o ring in the groove.

His photo.

2ab12aa7c377aa0158bfe24cd5c5d5fe.jpg

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am not sure if ' barrel-bulge/twist "grip" ' was meaning the official HDS Tactical ring or the grooved part of the battery compartment (I am not a native speaker :( ). In case the HDS Tactical Ring was meant than forget my post. If not...

...here a link to the official HDS Tactical Ring:

https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/TacRing/

This thing is not that bad. If you want I can take a few pictures with a current Rotary / Clicky. It is quite useful and almost like the Surefire Combat Grip.

wweiss

Enlightened

Thanks RedLED I'll give that a try..

wweiss

Enlightened

I am not sure if ' barrel-bulge/twist "grip" ' was meaning the official HDS Tactical ring or the grooved part of the battery compartment (I am not a native speaker :( ). In case the HDS Tactical Ring was meant than forget my post. If not...

...here a link to the official HDS Tactical Ring:

https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/TacRing/

This thing is not that bad. If you want I can take a few pictures with a current Rotary / Clicky. It is quite useful and almost like the Surefire Combat Grip.

Thanks a lot for this - I'll try it - I never drilled down into the HDS website far enough to see that this was a thing!

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast

I too love the "cigar" hold and do have the HDS tactical ring. However, the tactical ring is waaaaay too big. I've asked them if they make it smaller but don't think they will.

wweiss

Enlightened

Noted on the size issue. Thanks.
The "cigar" hold is the best for me as well. I have rings on all my lights doing this hold - works great on the Malkoff MD2 &3 and the Alphas...

LRJ88

Enlightened

I'm not shilling for them or saying you should get them in any way, shape, or form, but something like Sugru could be put on there and stick to the knurling of it to keep it in place, you can mould it and shape it pretty much however you want before it hardens and if you don't want it anymore simply use more force than otherwise and tear it off.

wweiss

Enlightened

Did not know of Sugru either. It doesn't pay to be ignorant...
Thanks for this tip. It looks like a great stuff to have around regardless of a specific need.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Those extra thick plumbing o'rings can make a nice, grippy dam or finger stopper if you will. I know a chap who uses 3 side by side for a grip surface and another who uses two spaced a few mm apart for a channel effect. One is all I use on a few of my more slippery lights like the EB1c.

wweiss

Enlightened

Those extra thick plumbing o'rings can make a nice, grippy dam or finger stopper if you will. I know a chap who uses 3 side by side for a grip surface and another who uses two spaced a few mm apart for a channel effect. One is all I use on a few of my more slippery lights like the EB1c.

Yes, I've tried those - and bulkhead grommets too. They all slowly slip with each pull and seem to squirm down the barrel. Annoying as hell.

wweiss

Enlightened

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1584802847.174330.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1584802858.515805.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1584802874.573942.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1584802888.288426.jpg

I know - a cheap fix - siliconed the back of a silicone ring on the twisty barrel. Messy underneath but not bad from above. Works well so far and doesn't squirm off...

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where did you get that grip ring anyways?

wweiss

Enlightened

Got six of them from:

Kaidomain.com
"Silicone Tactical Ring for 18650 flashlight host" Black, Model 5027779
([email protected])

wweiss

Enlightened

These units work great on the Malkoff MD2 & MD3 bodies as they have indents near the tail caps that this ring fits like it's made for it...