Do You Even Handkerchief?

nbp

Flashaholic
I have never been a handkerchief guy; I think carrying a pocketful of snot around all day is gross. Puffs were invented for a reason. But with all the concern over spreading infections by touching your face, I have been very cognizant of that action (even more than normal and I already am big on hand-washing and not touching my face). But sitting in Sunday Service last week before all gatherings larger than 10 were more or less restricted, my eye was itching terribly and I wanted to rub it. But I knew I had touched several surfaces since walking in and I should not do so. At that moment I desperately wanted a clean piece of cloth to scratch my face with. So afterwards I stopped at the store on the way home and got a 9-pack of plain white hankies for $9 and have shoved them in my pocket each day since. While I still don't blow my nose in them, I have found having them on me has proved useful a few times for touching my face as I intended and also other purposes a small piece of EDC cloth would be handy for. I may continue to carry them after this pandemic blows over.

So, do you carry a handkerchief as part of your EDC gear, and if you do, do you use it only for nose stuff or for other handy purposes as well??

ledbetter

Enlightened
I've got handkerchiefs and bandanas of all sizes, and though I prefer to blow my nose in tissues, they work in a pinch and I just throw them in the wash. They're also great to have in public restrooms when they're no paper towels or that blow dryer just doesn't do it. And I always have a clean one for my lady and she thinks I'm a gentleman! Even after I say dumb things about women's sports or feminism. They also clean glasses, flashlight lenses, and protect against a potentially red neck. Always part of my edc: wallet, phone, knife, keys, chapstik, flashlight, and hankie.

Poppy

Flashaholic
No I don't hankie. Never have.

Not long ago, a friend pulled his out to blow his nose, and I offered him a tissue. He said "No thanks" blew his nose in his hankie, crumpled it up and put it back into his pocket! I almost shuddered.

I've never been particularly careful about germs, except when cooking. But I have, due to the recent pandemic, become conscious about not touching my eyes. Last week I used a Clorox wipe to clean my steering wheel.

The idea of EDCing a hankie isn't a bad idea. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't stomach the hankie thing, but I usually have a bandanna somewhere close by.
Cleaning cloth, hankie, headband, neck guard, dust mask, wrist guard... the list goes on.

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
I would never leave the house without a clean hankie. Useful for all sorts of emergencies (although I'd never blow my nose on it except in the direst straits, that's what tissues are for). I normally carry a standard size for edc (the Muji ones are quite nice) but for shooting I'll carry a huge paisley job (also very useful in the sun).

As I no longer wear a suit on a regular basis the plain white monogrammed ones I used to carry have been relegated to the back of the drawer.

I just asked myself what I actually use them for and the answer is very little... I seem to have dedicated glasses/optics cleaners, shotgun wiper downer, tissues etc. but I absolutely could not leave the house without my trusty hankie.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I routinely but not always carry a handkerchief. Usually not brand new ones. I too use them very little but its nice to have. They are also useful for all sorts of mini emergencies.

At weddings and funerals I bring new ones and have given those to women.

scout24

Flashaholic
I don't keep one in my pocket, but carry a bandana or two in my Keep in the Car bag. Good idea for face touching, I should break one out. 👍

Lumen83

Enlightened
For me, its a bandana. Never to blow my nose. But there are so many other uses I learned from backpacking and spending time in the outdoors.