Mini Mag Fraen LP or Cut reflector?

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, Im trying to decide what to order here pretty soon from the shop..

Im wondering wether to order Fraen Optics or Just sputter and cut the stock reflectors and add a clicky kroll?

What are the advantages and disadvantages to each, I could also make some of each if they are pretty balanced. What will the beam of the MM w/ reflector look like Vs MM with Fraen LP?

Can the MM still do candle mode with a clicky kroll?

The LD mods are much simpler NX-05 only but I think I want to mod a few with HD luxeons!

Thanks for the input!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely go with the reflector and a high dome. Better yet, get both. It's easy enough to switch back and forth.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a Fran LP, NX05, and modified MM reflector in my KL1 with a high dome, and tried them in a couple of other mods.
The MM reflector was similar to the NX05s, a little smaller hotspot, and a little brighter spill. The Fraens have almost zero spill, with all the light concentrated into one big hotspot.
Like everything else, which is better depends on what you're using it for.
I prefer the NX05 in general, but kept a Fraen LP in my souped-up-by-Chop KL1 for use at work, where ambient light makes the spill on the NX05 useless, and the added throw and larger spot are much more useful.
NX05/MM reflector-better for finding something
Fraen LP-better for looking AT something

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if I use the MM reflector I also need a kroll because the light will no longer twist off..Can the light still be used in candle mode with a kroll?

I'm going to build a few lights so I'm thinking I want at least 1 or 2 to throw really far.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Only hours ago I completed my first mod of any kind. I used the MM reflector with a batwing. It took a bit of doing but I managed to still use the twisty feature of the MM. The combination of LD and MM reflector yields a lot of side spill. The hot spot when focused is not very hot. Good for finding stuff. No doubt the HD would do better with the reflector for looking at stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers,
zwf

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MM reflectors work well. Centering really isn't an issue like it is with the Fraen or NX-05. Maybe I did something wrong w/ mine but I had to grind 1/16" off of the threads on the MM head so that the reflector could sit lower and bring the HD to it's proper focal point.

While the Fraen might be a marginally better beam, it's lack of spill turns me off. The MM reflector doesn't capture much light (witness the large direct spill) but it still does a better job overall (in my opinion). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, maybe I shold order a couple extra kits to play then...Just didn't want to spend too much since I probably won't be using them often after I get my VIP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kj

Enlightened
You can modify the MM reflector with keeping the twist off functionality. See this picture for the tip. It's a bit tricky, but doable.

Also, if you want a reflector to use with HD, you may try a S017XA reflector from Illumination Management Solutions. I put it to KL1 and McLux and had good results - it doesn't throw so far but has reasonable throw and sidespill. I've not fitted this to the MM, but it should work with the MM with a little modification. You can find it at Future Active.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
Maybe I did something wrong w/ mine but I had to grind 1/16" off of the threads on the MM head so that the reflector could sit lower and bring the HD to it's proper focal point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you did anything wrong. Some (most newer) MagAA reflectors are thicker than older ones. The newer ones just need more work to get them to focus good. I shave the lip down (like how kj does to make twist ON/OFF work) so I don't have to shave as much off the top of the threads like you did.

In the pic below, the one on the left is the newer style and the right the older. Both are cut to the same height. Look closely at the hole where the luxeon would protrude. See the thickness differences? Notice the shaved lip? I like the older ones, they seem to focus just a bit better, hard to tell. When buying the reflectors (as replacements) I only get maybe 2-3 older ones out of 15.

aa-reflectors_difference.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
darkzero, what do you use to cut them down that cleanly?

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]
Jon, drill press and cut-off wheel but don't tell know one, ok. It's a secret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Justintoxicated said:
So Should I drill the hole larger then? Or Sand down the bottem of the reflector?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think most people do both. Cut some off the bottom of the reflector to bring the emitter into the right focal plane and open up the hole for the emitter (including the black plastic) to fit through. I cut mine just a bit more than others. After doing so the hole that is left is already the right size for the emitter to pass through.