• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Some PD McGizmo love.

scout24

Flashaholic
Picture to follow... So, long story short, I haven't had a piston drive McGizmo light in my posession in a couple of years. Last one was carried and used fairly regularly, spending some time on a shelf as others came and went. The time must have been right recently, because I scooped up a beautiful McLux III PD that had been converted to an XP-G at some point in it's past. Admittedly, I've eschewed single emitter lights for a while, they sit idly by as triples do the lion's share of the work. This thing hasn't left my pocket since it arrived. Light. Intuitive to use, at either end. Small. Bright enough. Beautiful beam. Sips batteries. Tailstands like a champ. Still the best pocketclip in the business. Simple in an age of complicated. I just wanted to share my renewed appreciation for one of the all time classics. Can't believe I went without one for as long as I did. :)

20200319_161909.jpg

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Love them. Maybe only two levels but both very useful. Perfect size and "grippiness" and a tailstand that is as secure as just about any light I know. Beautiful mechanical switch action with a nice solid Ti Piston to push as opposed to rubber. The tritium is the icing on the cake. Not showy like some, but just useful as an indicator. The beam was as near perfection as possible with the original luxeons but is also perfect with an XP-G2 that I upgraded mine with.

And, boy, is this thing solid!! It's shockproof and practically bulletproof. It's both a tool and a work of art at the same time.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's bump this thread. Greg inspired me to get a PD - found a nice, clean aluminum PD and promptly sent it off to DatiLED for a spa visit. Said PD returned yesterday, with a new LED - the Samsung LH351D, 4000k and a CRI of 92+. Derek recommended this LED and I'm glad he did. He also bumped the current up to 750 mA.

What a difference! I loved the Seoul emitter that was in it, but it was definitely not as bright as I'd like. I don't care about flame throwers, but 150-200 on high with a good beam shape is good enough for the vast majority of my needs.

Amazing what a ~15 year old light is still capable of. Rock solid in construction and UI, super simple to use, lightweight in the pocket, and now with a higher output, high CRI beam.

Looking down the "barrel":

On the left is an HDS with the Luminus SS40 emitter - right is the PD with the Samsung. Both on max. The Samsung has a slightly larger hot spot and, by my sphere, gives up 50-75 lumen to the HDS. Not too shabby. These, by the way, are two of my absolute favorite lights right now.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see some more McGizmo love in general. Might try and conjure up some pics and posts myself soon-ish (perhaps even a new purchase?).

cary

Newly Enlightened
Bringing this to the top. I have Mclux PD that I have had since new, probably from about 2008. I would love to have it upgraded with a more modern LED. Is there anyone who does this, as I love the light, but if I remember it is 2/60 lumens and would love to have a bit more oomph on high (and high CRI would be great also).

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw a post (from 2016) on here where a member (dbla) had there's modded by datiLED.
Looks good.