Klarus        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamburgers & Hot Dogs: Best Places To Go / How Do You Make Them At Home?

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Default Hamburgers & Hot Dogs: Best Places To Go / How Do You Make Them At Home?

In the Los Angeles area, I like the Apple Pan for burgers, and Pinks for hot dogs.

In the desert, It's In N Out Burger.

Please tell us your favorite locations, and how you prepare them at home.

Thanks,

RL
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Default Re: Hamburgers & Hot Dogs: Best Places To Go / How Do You Make Them At Home?

I was a cook for 13 years... My backyard burgers are my favorite.. (imo) lol

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Default Re: Hamburgers & Hot Dogs: Best Places To Go / How Do You Make Them At Home?

I have tried for 25 years to cook a decent burger and I still screw up something every time. Well they do make great David vs Goliath tools. Grilled, griddled, gas, charcoal, it doesn't matter. Same with steaks. Now my twin brother can cook great burgers and steaks doing exactly what I do.

Hot dogs are easy. Boil them until they split or grill them until the outside blackens some. Done. Now if anybody in the family doesn't want split or crispy skin hot dogs……well too bad.

Regarding restaraunts, to me a fresh cooked dripping with grease and soaked in salt Wendys burger is my favorite.

But as a rule I hardly ever eat anything that was once part of a cow. I prefer birds and fish.
    John 3:16

Donavan's in Woodside for burgers. Grays Papaya in the city for hotdogs. Making burgers at home, which is rare, seasoning the meat with salt and finely minced garlic is what I like. Bind it together with some egg and crisp/cook it in a hot saucepan.

What's a thread sans pictures?

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Smash Burger
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Red, I think you might like Mr Bartley's Burgers when you find yourself in Boston.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thanks, Arch, are they a local place?

I know LA and Palm Springs not NYC or D.C. Too much for burgers and hot dogs but they have them, I need more time to check things out. Palm Springs does not have anything, and so many places come and go, however, we have In N Out.
    Last edited by RedLED; 03-23-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Thanks, Arch, are a local place? ....
    Not a chain, if that's what you mean.

I haven't been in a decade or more, but opened by (yes) Mr Bartley, over 50 years ago. As far as I can tell, still family owned and operated.

Sure hope this current craziness doesn't permanently crush cool old places like this ....
    Last edited by archimedes; 03-23-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Do you get to Chicago ever ?

It's tough to surpass the Chicago Red Hot as far as hotdogs go, but I don't really have a favorite place.

Arch,

I have heard about about the Chicago Red. I know Chicago has some great places. My problem is that my work and deadlines make it hard to look around sometimes. I have been to some great steak houses in Chicago.

Yes, lots of great food in Chicago. Not just steak places, and not all fancy expensive stuff either.

Sabrett natural casing hot dogs are a national treasure. Blackened a bit and split on the grill, brown mustard only, toast the bun the last couple of minutes until dogs are done. My two cents... 😁

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Sabrett natural casing hot dogs are a national treasure. Blackened a bit and split on the grill, brown mustard only, toast the bun the last couple of minutes until dogs are done. My two cents... 
    That sounds good! I will try that brand of hot dogs, I usually use Nathan's.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yes, lots of great food in Chicago. Not just steak places, and not all fancy expensive stuff either.
    That's true and, I like the non-fancy little local places Best.

Red,
    Thanks for bringing this up because it has brought a smile to my face.
    When I was a kid, my dad and I would stop at "White Manna" pretty much each weekend on the way to the boat house. I'd have three or four "with the works!" That meant a slice of cheese, onions, and pickles. LOL.... add your own ketchup.

Man... they were meatball sized sections of chopped meat, laid out on a grill right in front of you, smashed flat with a spatula, and then covered with shredded onions. Once they were flipped, ( he could do about 30 at a time) the small soft (later potato) rolls were placed on top and heated, and steamed with the moisture coming off of the onions, and with the grease coming off of the burgers. Three slices of pickles, and a squirt of ketchup... heaven on a bun!

That was in Jersey City, New Jersey. It's still there! IIRC it came from the NYC 1939 "World's Fair" ... The diner of the future. Now that I looked for some pictures. The guy from Diner's, Drive-throughs, and Dives, stopped in and did a review.

A couple of years ago, I stopped into the Hackensack, NJ White Manna, with my very picky eater grandson. He had a couple with onions, no pickles... then he had a couple more! It made me Happy to see him enjoying it so much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Manna
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/white-manna-hackensack

On the other end of the spectrum... gourmet.
    At the Northern end of Greenwood Lake (which is part NY and part NJ) there is "The Helm"
    Jen, the owner, and Culinary School trained executive Chef makes burgers to die for.
    Smoked pulled pork, with layers of cheese, and two kinds of pickled coleslaw, topped with her special sauce, and any variety of cheeses. Wrap your senses around one of those, coupled with a dark flavorful porter beer.
    ARRGGGHHH!!! 40 minutes away, and take-out only because of Cov -19
    Soon... soon.
    https://www.thehelmny.com/
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-helm-greenwood-lake-3
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Poppy,

That sounds so good!

Poppy,

That sounds so good!
    They are!

Regarding making them at home.
    If making them just for myself, I add fresh chopped onions to the meat, usually, but more often than not I am making them for the family too, and they don't like onions, so I saute the onions, and throw them on top.

I do like to add spices, and cheese. I love Gorgonzola, but Cheddar, or American is fine.
    I used to try individual spices, often just salt and pepper, (actually that isn't bad for beef), but lately have gone somewhat often to pre-mixed blends, such as the Grill-Mates Montreal Steak, or better yet the Brown Sugar Bourbon, or Nick Stellino's "special rub" (equal parts... salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, and paprika). Sometimes I'll add a splash of liquid smoke. You have to be careful with that because a little goes a long way.

Perhaps my most important cooking tool is a digital thermometer. Burgers to 160 F., chicken to 165 F.

Generally speaking I prefer potato buns.

I don't add garnish like tomato slices, or lettuce or a slice of red onion, because the people I live with won't eat it, and there would be too much waste if I did it for myself. Hmmm, that's a shame. BarBQue time is coming I should have friends over more often
    Last edited by Poppy; 03-23-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Two weeks back ......

I'm also a big fan of the Grill Mates Montreal Steak, Poppy. It's great stuff!
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Poppy, your post reminded me of another delicious sandwich.

Not exactly a "hamburger" but a type of "sloppy joe" called the Popper Jo, from a little stand in downtown Lincoln Nebraska called The Original Korn Popper.

Tiny little sliders, with ground beef, spices, sauce, and a generous dollop of yellow mustard, served piping hot, topped with chilled dill pickle slices, and wrapped in little aluminum foil packets.

Closed in 2016, after 85 years in business

Once again I have come to the right people!

Default Hamburgers & Hot Dogs: Best Places To Go / How Do You Make Them At Home?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Perhaps my most important cooking tool is a digital thermometer. Burgers to 160 F., chicken to 165 F.

No beef tartare for you huh. There's a German spot in queens that does it so well....onion, capers, bacon, and raw ground beef smeared on toast, delicious.

The "Steak Burger" ground beef at Vons' butcher counter is the secret weapon, I'm pretty sure they grind a touch of bacon or pork in there, it's a leap beyond what's available at restaurants/fast food places.

You're choosing In-N-Out over Five Guys?

My favorite place in LA is the Apple Pan. They have two different burgers, two different sandwiches, fries and apple pie, and other pies. That's it! A very simple menu like In N Out has.

They have the Steak Burger, and it has a toasted bun, fried burger, Mayo., lettuce, and a slice of Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese and red and green relish Also, the Hickory Burger, same as the Steak Burger but with hickory sauce in place of the relish. I like the Hickory Burger the best.

The Apple Pan has been open since 1947, and every member of my family, all my friends, wife and daughter have eaten there. I have been going since the 1960's. I would ride my bike from Beverly Hills thru Century City, past Twentieth Century Fox Studios on Pico, to Pico And Glendon (One block East of Westwood Bl.).

The AP is a very small place with a U shaped counter around the grill, and you wait to be seated by standing behind people who are almost finished. The employees have worked there for decades. The cash register, like everything has been there since 1947, and they only take cash. It is like going back in time when you go through the door.

For hot dogs, Pinks at LaBrea and Melrose in H'wood has been open since 1939, and has a ton of different hot dog combinations. It is a small stand, and there is always a line in front. Every year after the Academy Awards, and the Emmy's myself and a couple of other photographers in the Hollywood Press Corps. Stop there before moving on to the after parties. That has been our tradition for many years now.

Next time you are in LA, try these historic and fun places.

All the best,

RL

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The "Steak Burger" ground beef at Vons' butcher counter is the secret weapon, I'm pretty sure they grind a touch of bacon or pork in there, it's a leap beyond what's available at restaurants/fast food places.

You're choosing In-N-Out over Five Guys?
    Star,

Yes, in N Out over Five Guys, and I'll tell you why. In N Out is as clean as an OR, the Five Guy's in La Quinta, CA is filthy! Last time I went there there was an unbelievable mess on the floor in the entire dining area, and the kitchen looked worse, rubber gloves, fries, patties all over the floor. Now, it could be the the store, and it's management, however, once you see that, you can't go back.

Also, the employees seemed kind of rough, not like the clean cut, polite kids at In N Out. It may be this one location but once you see that kind of scene it is hard to return. Otherwise, yes, they are good.
    Last edited by RedLED; 03-23-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Pinks at LaBrea and Melrose in H'wood
    the Five Guy's in La Quinta
    But there's more than one Pink's or Five Guys; Pink's has a food stand that's at every air show I've been to in the IE, so that always means hot dogs for lunch those days.. And Five Guys is as common as In-n-Out now, seems like there's one in every neighborhood..

Star,

I am certain there is only the Pinks at LaBrea and Melrose. They may be copies or license the brand for events but there is only one location as far as I know, and they are well known in LA. If you go there you will see what I mean.

As for Five Guy's the one I go to locally is in a strip mall, and was very unsatisfactory to me. In N Out is one of the best run companies and they own the building and land they operate on. They have extremely high standards.

I like Five Guy's but I will not return to the one around here at least for a while.

True story bro:

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Two weeks back ......

I'm also a big fan of the Grill Mates Montreal Steak, Poppy. It's great stuff!
    Now THAT'S a burger! Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by P_A_S_1 View Post
    No beef tartare for you huh. There's a German spot in queens that does it so well....onion, capers, bacon, and raw ground beef smeared on toast, delicious.
    tartare for me? No way! I don't do sushi either. I once saw a picture of parasites in fish, that did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    LOL... bacon makes everything taste better.

My son told me of a place that has standing room only, out on the side-walk, people waiting to get inside. In the morning they make a lot of bacon and eggs, and they save the bacon fat for their gravies, and cooking/frying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast