Aircraft Mechanic HELP Need Advice

kilometer

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF!

This is my first post and I am happy to be a part of the community on cpf. I am an aircraft mechanic or for a big air carrier in the U.S. and I'm having a bit of trouble with the flashlights I have bought, I always seem to regret the purchase afterwards and would like some advise on what to purchase next. I usually go through them quickly and they get banged up easy. I never break them and usually I just end up getting tired of how bulky they are so I purchase another but always feel empty like it's not enough. Right now as I sit in the 767 flight deck my flashlight is in my pocket and it usually always ends there due to me always being on the move. I'm currently running an Olight MR2 Pro and it's been fine but the mode button is already worn form use and the tail switch is not satisfying at all. I use flashlights all day so to me it's more than a tool and would like one that is a joy to use. I have a list below of what I have owned. As well as some guide lines. Ps: I hate scrolling through modes blinding my self in the process.
Owned:

Olight MR2 Pro
Streamlight HL-X
Nitecore P12GTS
Streamlight Pro tac 2-lx
Fenix PD35 V2.0

1-Budget: $250.

2-Size: Somewhere in the Middle Easy to pocket. Clip preferred but not necessary.

3-color: Black

4-Battery: I've always used 18650 but if I have to will use cr123

5-lumens: enough to light an aircraft tail up but options low enough so I don't blind myself working inside the cabin.

Any suggestions help.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!!!!!!!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a headlamp? Zebralight is a strong choice, but I use a SC64 LE on a Nite-Ize head strap that I have minor-modified to make the light emitting end farther out in front of my face. It is easy to use in- hand as well.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey KM! I'm my self mechanic also working on A320-340 family.
I found the TexasLumens Flyer thebest one so far, bulletproof.
If you prefer smaller size then budget friendly Emisar D4V2 Titanium or Lumintop FW21 will do the job.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the modes and flexibility you want, the robustness and the fact that you're good with 18650's, I recommend an HDS with an 18650 battery tube.

You might be close on the budget, but they popup around here from time to time.

Perhaps you could score a CR123 version out of the gate, and get an 18650 tube down the line.

kilometer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for responding guys! I have a headlamp already and its mostly on standby as I mainly do transit checks. I have an Olight H1R and its served me fine when ever I need to use it but I rarely do. Ive read good things about the HDS flashlights but Im reluctant to pull the trigger just yet on one although they seem to be very nice. As for 18650 its really not a deal breaker for me if I have to use CR123 batteries, sometimes they are more convenient than charging. I like the SureFire lights and they have a good rep I dig the aviator. What makes the HDS lights so good?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two suggestions: 1. Nitecore P30. The old version was a single 18650, the New P30 is a 21700 if I remember correctly. Nice size to carry for a while without fatigue. I found a nice holster for my belt when I EDCed mine. The light is compact enough that I didn't really feel like I was carrying it most of the time.
2. If you can't find the older P30 but want to stay with the single 18650, the Lumintop GT Mini would work. The same issues with head size as the P30, but a nice little light. Last I looked it was available in both Cool White and Warm White (the version I prefer). Out of the box it has a ramping brightness control, which is nice for getting just the amount of light you need, but it comes with instructions for reprogramming it to several modes like most other lights. It has a little brother, the GT Micro, that is the same except that it uses a single 14500.
If you really want just a plain penlight type light, the Lumintop AA 2.0 is a good choice. It will run on either a single AA or a 14500 (my choice, I like the extra light).
I know you aren't looking for a little light, but the Nitecore TIP CRI makes a great pocket/keyring light. It would be great for when you need some light back in that little corner where there isn't room for a larger light. I used mine a lot when I was working inside my PC case.

ironhorse

Enlightened
Thanks for responding guys! I have a headlamp already and its mostly on standby as I mainly do transit checks. I have an Olight H1R and its served me fine when ever I need to use it but I rarely do. Ive read good things about the HDS flashlights but Im reluctant to pull the trigger just yet on one although they seem to be very nice. As for 18650 its really not a deal breaker for me if I have to use CR123 batteries, sometimes they are more convenient than charging. I like the SureFire lights and they have a good rep I dig the aviator. What makes the HDS lights so good?

They are WAY overbuilt. You are unlikely to kill one. There are videos out there of Henry's mini me shooting them.
Bite the bullet, buy once, cry once and it should outlast you.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
My advice is to stay away from the SF aviator. Im a pilot and I had one and hated it. not very cockpit friendly. I've worked at about 7 companies over the last 28 years and have flown evrything from the C208 to the 747. My current ride is the SD3-60. As far as the mechanics go I have seen everything from those big 6 D-cell maglights carried in a belt loop to modern headlamps. The most common light I see these days are the Streamlight Stingers. Since I've never used one I cannot render an opinion. I was once preflighting a 727 with a Fenix LD2 and the station mech was watching me. He later came up and wanted to see what flashlight I was using. He ordered one that night :) On the SD3-60 most of the mechanics are using headlamps. Thats OK with a smaller craft, but for the 767 you will want more throw. Look into those stingers, they are popular for a reason.