Replacement for BC-900 charger?

Buck

Newly Enlightened
So, my old LaCrosse BC-900 charger has finally become unusable (current button is dead so only SLOWWWW discharging/charging and connector to power supply is losing contact at the slightest movement). I have a Maha fast charger and slow chargers that came with packs of cells (both Eneloop and Energizer), but want something with a data display. Rather than search through products, I figured asking here is quicker and easier to find what currently-available charger is similar to the BC-900.

Want:
-4 AA/AAA capacity
-readouts of voltage and cumulative mAh to monitor charge status and cell health
-one or more discharge/test/refresh modes
-moderate price

Don't Want:
-history of melting itself or other destructive mis-behavior (I heard rumors that the BC-900 itself wasn't great in this regard)

Last edited:

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
Opus BT-C3100 and 3400, both with new fans. I have these along with two BC-900s. Both the Opus and Lacrosse have one unit each which has a shorted transistor bad pocket which could have caused dangerous things to happen if I wasn't always looking for trouble. I also have an Opus BT-C700 which has no problems.

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
So, my old LaCrosse BC-900 charger has finally become unusable (current button is dead so only SLOWWWW discharging/charging and connector to power supply is losing contact at the slightest movement).
Mine has recently done the same! First it was the Mode button that stopped working (a few years ago). Now none of the buttons work, but inserting a battery still chargers it at the gentle/slow 200mAh rate. I have an XTAR VC4 that can charge NiMH, but it has no Test or Recondition features. I would like to find a replacement that has at least the Test/Discharge feature. At the same time, I am not looking to spend a lot because I see myself transitioning towards LiIon. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with Liitokala chargers?

Tomaao

Newly Enlightened
I have a xtar vc4s that can charge NiMH. It can be a battery tester for it can do charge-discharge-charge. I think this mode is just like a refresh. And it has 4 bays. I guess it is the upgrade of vc4, LoL.

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
I have still been looking into a replacement, and currently I am leaning towards the XTAR VC4S. It appears the manufacturer is selling a kit on Amazon for $30 that actually includes the 18W QC3.0 charger.

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
While still researching tonight, I came across the Vapcell S4+ charger. It costs notably more than the XTAR, but it has more manual control and more modes -- and its impedance measurements are supposed to be fairly consistent (from what I read) which is unlike most chargers.

Last edited:

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
After even more research, the Hohm Tech Base 4 charger is under strong consideration now. I am intrigued by the "Battery Doctor" mode that it has. I read a lot of people raving about it, but I haven't seen any detailed testing on this charger -- which seems really odd since it's been out for quite sometime.

Last edited: