High Lumen Pocketable Floody Malkoff

edot

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am looking for a high-output flood light while still being pocketable.

What is important to me:
1) Fits in a standard pants pocket (so, MD2 or smaller, and probably an MDX 22.3 or 16.5 Head)
2) Floody as possible.
3) Most lumens possible.
4) High-low switch
5) Rechargeable

What is unimportant to me:
6) Runtime
7) CRI / Tint

My ideas so far are this:
Body / Tail: MD2
Head: MDX 22.3 or 16.5 (I would think the 22.3 would be floodier?)
Driver: M91B or M61HOT. M91B would be left alone, while I would glaze the lens on the M61HOT to make it floodier.
High-low Switch: Yes

The Bodyguard V2 seems like it would almost fit my needs, but I would miss the high-low switch very much.
The Wildcat V6 looks like it might work, except that it needs to be on an MD3.

I emailed Gene about this and he told me that: "The Wildcat V6 is being upgraded, so there won't be any more available for sale in its current form. There will be a MD2 version available but it will have a larger Hound Dog style head."

But I think the Hound Dog head would be a bit big for my pocket.

What are your ideas?
Thanks!
Edot

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your ideas are fine just add some dcfix to the 22.3 lens and your golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edot

Newly Enlightened
Your ideas are fine just add some dcfix to the 22.3 lens and your golden

Would you think the M61HOT or M91B would be better? I've been looking at the M91 thread and at the Malkoff Runtime thread, and it seems that the M91B gets ~around~ the same lumens as the M61HOT when both are run off of a single 18650. Of course beam pattern will be different, especially if I have to glaze the M61HOT and leave the M91B unglazed.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
91b has 1000 otf lumens

61HOT has 740 otf lumens

Genes measurements are deadly accurate .

The 91b may push through the dcfix and still leave you with a small hotspot . Maybe the 61HOT will suite your needs better .

I know a few guys here have some , you may want to wait and see if one of them could give you some beam shots with the dcfix . I don't have either module to test for you , I would if I could . I will say dcfix gives a great floody beam

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If you want flood go with the 91. And as suggested use some dc-fix if needed. The 91 is pretty dam floody to begin with. The 61hot is designed for throw. Even with a filter on her she's not going to be as floody as the 91.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If runtime is really not in the picture at all because you would get maybe 12-15 minutes with it. That would be best choice. Again you ain't running more then 10-15 minutes and she's will get hot. But yep be an awesome 10-15 minutes.

edot

Newly Enlightened
For the Wildcat on an MD2, why two 16430s and not two 18350s? Also, regarding the M91B, the output is reduced when run on a single 18650, no?

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the Wildcat on an MD2, why two 16430s and not two 18350s? Also, regarding the M91B, the output is reduced when run on a single 18650, no?

The tube isn't long enough, you'll either need an extender kit or run a tailcap with a zerorez

Regarding the 91b, yes

Last edited:

edot

Newly Enlightened
So, based on the runtime thread by Infernl, the output for the M91B on a single 18650 gives around 600 lumens (for the 5000k version) or 500 lumens (for the 4000k version) to start, and tapers down as time passes. The M61HOT on a single 18650 gives a regulated 740 lumens for over an hour. It seems that the M61HOT is superior to the M91B in terms of lumen output and lumens over time when only fed with one 18650. Adding the dcfix to make the M61HOT floodier will take a few lumens off, but it will still maintain higher lumens for longer.

So it seems that the M61HOT (with glazed lens) is superior for my purposes, no?

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well yes. But the 91 you are comparing are not available any more. But yes as far as runtime the M61 HOT will of course run longer but the M61HOT has a lux of 20,000. It's a thrower. Even with that DF-fix it might not be floody enought for you. The M91 is only around 8000. I guess it just depends on how floody you want it. Also don't forget the 61 hot is a tir. And will only fit in Malkoff's lights. So you can't put it in a surefire or anything.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides run time, you list CRI / Tint as important. I don't know what the M61HOT's CRI rating is, but the tint is solidly in the cool white region. I have an Oveready frosted lens (still available for purchase) in an MD head, and I consider the HOT to be too cool for close range floody use. The same lens in front of an M61T is muuuuch more pleasing to use.

The 5000K M91B may deliver fewer lumens for a shorter duration, but it's a fabulous drop-in.

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't recommend the 61HOT for a floody light. I still think with the dcfix you'd still have a defined hot spot because of the optic .

You would probably have to double it.

You original post says runtime isn't important , which is why I said the wildcat. But it's so short of a lifespan I can see why one wouldn't wanna go that route regardless is runtime was important or not .

For a md2 though,

1.91b, they come in a 16.5 head but I'd say swap it to a 22.3 with dcfix and your golden

2. m61 in a 22.3 with dcfix

3. Craig has some triple xpg2s that run 790 otf. You could run in a md2 with dcfix or even in a 6p

The triple may produce a more "substantial" flood with the dcfix

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Actually The WC with what your after is the best choice. No runtime but as you stated that's not important.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For maximum floodiness, the HOT behind a frosted lens or DC Fix isn't the best solution. There's a definite bright area in the center of the beam, with a smooth transition of decreasing brightness from the center to the outer regions.....and the only color suitable to describe the tint is cool blue. It's not an obnoxious blue, but it's in no way neutral or pleasing.

Last edited:

edot

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone. Grizzman, I actually have tint/CRI in my "unimportant" category.
I should probably have put runtime into a "somewhat important" category. Thermalguy, your suggestion of the Wildcat makes sense given the parameters I posted, but I do agree that the runtime is just a bit too short. So, while I'm not looking for an all-night light, I also don't want to have to charge up every other day.

Wicky, thanks for the list of ideas. Who is Craig? I am new here, so am not familiar as to who is who. Does he have a website?

Strintguy

Enlightened
You could send an MD2 body to Martin White and have him cut it down to an MD 1.5 and run an 18650 with a an Oveready Zero Rez Shorty tailcap. It will be a twisty, but is smaller without losing the 18650 form factor...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I mis-read your post regarding tint.

The most floody high-powered Malkoff drop-ins I've ever owned have been old M60 MC-Es, but they won't run from a single 18650, so run time from two 18350s would likely be too short....if you could find one.