Klarus        

Thread: Who are the top modders these days?

Default Who are the top modders these days?

Been gone a while, but used to get a lot of lights modded by members here. I had dealt mostly with Milky, Darkzero, DatiLED, and a few others, but most are now long gone. That said, who are the top modders doing work on the side these days?
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Flashaholic

Default Re: Who are the top modders these days?

I don't know if he is still working but I had a great triple Aleph made by Tana a few years ago.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk
    Beware the badger uprising...

DatiLED is still active, in matter of fact he recently finished some mods for me. Tana and Nitroz are still here.

Flashaholic*

Default Who are the top modders these days?

Vinh at skylumen.com does a little of everything.

Kyfishguy does awesome Mag mods

Vestureofblood at adventuresport can do a little of everything as well
    Last edited by bigburly912; 03-28-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

What are you looking to do?

I modded a gatorade g2 bottle with a vitamin water cap. This lockdown is killing me!!! And the messed up part is i got rid of a bunch of modding equipment last year. If you still need the services in a few months, get back to me and Iíll see how far Iíve come
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

staticx57, for some reason I cannot reply with quote to your post.

Nothing planned currently, but if I get up and rolling again, just wanted to know who to contact to get some work done.

Yes. I am still around and doing mods as time allows. As a matter of fact, I just completed two McGizmo PD mods, and am finishing a Spy 005. There is plenty of room on my (freshly cleaned) workbench.

I am not yet being required to shelter in place as my job is considered to be "ESSENTIAL BUSINESS SUPPORTING INFRASTRUCTURE". However, it is likely just a matter of a time before I will be required to work from home. Without a commute, I will have a lot of free time each week.
    Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
    Psalms 46:10

Welcome back
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    FS: Everyday Carry Lights Upgrades for Maglite.

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    Welcome back

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by datiLED View Post
    Yes. I am still around and doing mods as time allows. As a matter of fact, I just completed two McGizmo PD mods, and am finishing a Spy 005. There is plenty of room on my (freshly cleaned) workbench.

I am not yet being required to shelter in place as my job is considered to be "ESSENTIAL BUSINESS SUPPORTING INFRASTRUCTURE". However, it is likely just a matter of a time before I will be required to work from home. Without a commute, I will have a lot of free time each week.
    Hey datiLED,

what are are the chances I could have a Surefire U2 modded to put out more lumens? If so, what would be my options and a possible cost?

steve

Quote Originally Posted by SFtaco View Post
    Hey datiLED,

what are are the chances I could have a Surefire U2 modded to put out more lumens? If so, what would be my options and a possible cost?

steve
    I have never liked modding Surefire lights, and after recent experiences am staying away from Surefire lights in general. Start a thread asking for someone to mod your U2, and you should find somone up for the task.
    Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
    Psalms 46:10

I have never liked modding Surefire lights, and after recent experiences am staying away from Surefire lights in general. Start a thread asking for someone to mod your U2, and you should find somone up for the task.
    But they make such great hosts.

I understand what you're saying. I do mod them and the challenge is opening them up without any damage. Some can be easier and some an extreme pain with the loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz View Post
    I understand what you're saying. I do mod them and the challenge is opening them up without any damage. Some can be easier and some an extreme pain with the loctite.
    I'm hoping to have something to send you sometime in the near future, if your taking work, that is.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz View Post
    I understand you. I missed an M1 one and the combination of strap wrenches, a vice and a blow torch just to get it open was terrifying. I wouldn't do it on someone else's light.

Beware the badger uprising...

Quote Originally Posted by marcdilnutt View Post
    I understand you. I missed an M1 one and the combination of strap wrenches, a vice and a blow torch just to get it open was terrifying. I wouldn't do it on someone else's light.

It is a difficult and precarious job opening up Surefire lights.

I agree, sometimes it's a pain to get them open. Very stressful if it is someone else's light.

Flashaholic*

I don't do mods (for anyone else) but the things that I have played with usually resulted in taking 3 or 4 originals and using the parts, plus extra stuff to end up with 1 final version.

I have built a few flash lights from scratch and even those didn't result in 100% yield.

Still amazed that someone can be confident enough in their skills to start a project on an expensive light and modify it for someone else.