In a flashlight considered shelf life?

sygyzy

Enlightened
Sorry for the short subject. I was limited in the number of characters I could type.

Anyway, I read that 123A's have a 10 year shelf life. Does that mean sitting in a box on the shelf? Or does it mean sitting in a functional flashlight on a shelf?

Thanks.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blinded is probably correct. Still, I wonder if there might be some poorly made (mechanically or chemically) brands that might cave in early with repeated, deep, thermal cycling?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
"Shelflife" is normally given at room temperature and I think 50% humidity.

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
I heard a post a while back in the batteries forum about having to put paper between the contacts if you leave them in a flashlight for a long period of time to keep them from accidently discharging.... Sorry for the run on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Wouldn't it be great if a company made a flashlight with some type of disable lock for the switch and a design that meant you could tell whether it was on or not when you placed it bezel down?

sygyzy

Enlightened
I am confused. I guess what I was getting at is, if you put batteries inside a circuit (flashlight), even if it's off, isn't current flowing around? Isn't that why batteries leak if left in electronics for years?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If current is flowing in a flashlight that is supposed to be turned off, then a problem exists (usually mechanical).

Usually batteries leak due to a breach of their seals or corrosion when old or discharged.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Wouldn't it be great if a company made a flashlight with some type of disable lock for the switch and a design that meant you could tell whether it was on or not when you placed it bezel down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey that's a great idea. If someone would make a flashlight like that I'd buy a whole bunch of 'em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

-Keith