Prometheus        

Thread: Malkoff MD2 365nm UV

*Flashaholic*

Default Malkoff MD2 365nm UV

Do tell me about this one, I seem to have all the relevant Malkoff lights but the UV would complete my collection.

I have a plain-jane 365nm UV drop in, that goes up to 16V I think (12V for sure) and it has been OK but how does the Malkoff UV device perform?

Is it brighter? I get that the UV is not measured in lumens.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Default Re: Malkoff MD2 365nm UV

While the output is decent, i find that it has lots of visible light pollution. I ordered some lens filters, that supposed to fix it. They haven't arrived yet, so i can't comment.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Can you buy the drop in alone, I don't really want another host?
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

I haven't seen it sell individually. If i were to sell my, i would sell it with the head since it has huge UV warning on it. No point keeping it without the module.

I guess they sell it that way to avoid liability associated with UV light.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Can you buy the drop in alone, I don't really want another host?
    If you contact Malkoff to ask, it is quite likely they will be able to accommodate.

The one potential issue, as others here have mentioned, is that they may want or need to sell it with the "UV warning" marked bezel.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I’d bet that’s the case. For legal reasons
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Arch,

I will give them a call. I'm sure it is a safety thing. I wonder how many people leave these type of lights unattended with small children around the house. I would treat it like a firearm.

Not just kids. People as a whole are stupid nowadays. Sorry if I offend but it’s the truth.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

TG, you are right!

*Flashaholic*

Is it worth getting, yes or no?
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Sparky View Post
    While the output is decent, i find that it has lots of visible light pollution. I ordered some lens filters, that supposed to fix it. They haven't arrived yet, so i can't comment.

Possible to post any pics of it in use? I realize it might be challenging.

Left to right. Chinese p60 drop in from ebay, HDS, Malkoff, Inova x5.
    I will post when md2 filter is installed.
    [IMG][/IMG]

From about 10 feet:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Seattle Sparky; 03-31-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Update:
    Finally received woods glass uv band filter lenses to be installed in my UV MD2.
    The result is really impressive. Now it matches HDS UV, that I considered to be the most pure. Frankly, there is no great loss in the visible output, it seems very similar to HDS. After filter install things really glow without being surrounded by the unfiltered pollution light. The visible light also became predominately violet.
    Be warned, if you have uncontrollable OCD....you will see things otherwise hidden to the naked eye. It includes dozen layers of paint on walls, uneven spots,specks, splashes, prints of all kinds, and that is only beginning and things that look 100% clean and spotless in daylight.. Some materials change color from what they look like under normal light.
    Now I want to try fitting a hi/lo ring for a lower mode, for close range applications. It didn't work with 18650, , wonder if 2 x18350 can make a difference.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Seattle Sparky; 04-17-2020 at 02:05 AM.

*Flashaholic*

Thanks for the update

I really appreciate the pictures. I too have been considering this as an addition to the Malkoff collection.

What is the range/ throw on this light? All the pictures I have seen are of fairly close up use. I imagine that up close will be the primary use for a light like this, but how far away is it useful? I imagine looking for lost items in the grass or woods, or even as a tracking light for hunting.

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by StagMoose View Post
    I really appreciate the pictures. I too have been considering this as an addition to the Malkoff collection.

What is the range/ throw on this light? All the pictures I have seen are of fairly close up use. I imagine that up close will be the primary use for a light like this, but how far away is it useful? I imagine looking for lost items in the grass or woods, or even as a tracking light for hunting.

Thank you in advance!
    I am not an expert on the subject, but I would say that perceived range would depend on "fluorescent" qualities of the object you are trying to illuminate. Also on the amount of ambient light surrounding the object. The reflector is not huge so the beam pattern is similar to m61 drop in. You really don't want a tight beam with UV, it would be such a pain to aim.

Hello Seattle Sparky.
    Where can I get a uv woods glass uv band filter lenses to be installed in my UV MD2?

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    Hello Seattle Sparky.
    Where can I get a uv woods glass uv band filter lenses to be installed in my UV MD2?
    I ordered mine from ebay. For $5.
    6pcs ZWB2 Ultraviolet UV Band Pass Filter UV Flashlight Dia26mm Thickness 1.5mm

*Flashaholic*

If the output is not measured in lumens, what is it measured in? Watts?

And, how much difference did that filtering lense make?

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    If the output is not measured in lumens, what is it measured in? Watts?

And, how much difference did that filtering lense make?
    Day and night difference, did you read the post?.... Took me a second to google that The intensity of UV radiation is measured in the units of milliwatts per square centimeter (mW/cm2) which is energy per square centimeter received per second. Also, it is measured in the units of millijoules per square centimeter (mJ/cm2), which is energy received per unit area in a given time.

and more on this subject
    https://uvmeasurement.org/pdf/RR_Spr...tingDiodes.pdf
    Last edited by Seattle Sparky; 04-23-2020 at 06:41 PM.

I think the Malkoff UV works good. At times i felt like it could have a bit more output but it will work for it's use. Standard UV lights will illuminate all kinds of things. The wood glass lens filters out a lot and mainly illuminates the objects. Not sure if that makes sense but it's different. Some may like it and some may not.

I don't have experience with many UV lights but my choice would be the Malkoff or an HDS (but those were limited to 2 sm runs)...although those are the only 2 I have experience with but know that they are of very good quality.

I don't really have a use for UV and never really have. I hear they make excellent scorpion hunting lights among other things. In automotive use a dye would be needed.

I picked up one of the MD2 UV units. It is very fun to play with as anything white will light up in the dark. In my completely dark basement I was able to navigate adequately due to the fluorescence of all the white paper, cloth and random items.

This light runs much better and “brighter” on 2 CR123s than an 18650. There is a visible difference in the distance and brightness of fluorescing items in the dark. I found a tennis ball in the yard one night doing beam shots that I didn’t realize was there until I just scanned with it.

Do not get this if what you will see will bother you. I don’t have a lot of experience with other UV lights, but this one is fairly powerful compared to the others I have used. My kids bathroom looked like a nuclear waste site under UV light. It might make you want to clean things you didn’t know were dirty.

You will also see imperfections in paint, particularly around trim pieces. Lint/ dust on clothes is easily visible.

This is an excellent light to examine how well someone has cleaned your house. Dust lights up blue, other things are readily visible as well.

Outside some insects, insect(?) eggs, rocks will fluoresce, which is interesting. You will need to be fairly close; within 5-10 yards to see small things like this.

It may or may not be a good thing to bring traveling to a hotel.

I don’t have a professional use for it and it is more of a novelty for me, but I will be using it next time I purchase a house, and it will be used to critique house cleaners moving forward.