Malkoff MD2 365nm UV

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do tell me about this one, I seem to have all the relevant Malkoff lights but the UV would complete my collection.

I have a plain-jane 365nm UV drop in, that goes up to 16V I think (12V for sure) and it has been OK but how does the Malkoff UV device perform?

Is it brighter? I get that the UV is not measured in lumens.

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
While the output is decent, i find that it has lots of visible light pollution. I ordered some lens filters, that supposed to fix it. They haven't arrived yet, so i can't comment.

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen it sell individually. If i were to sell my, i would sell it with the head since it has huge UV warning on it. No point keeping it without the module.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Can you buy the drop in alone, I don't really want another host?
If you contact Malkoff to ask, it is quite likely they will be able to accommodate.

The one potential issue, as others here have mentioned, is that they may want or need to sell it with the "UV warning" marked bezel.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Not just kids. People as a whole are stupid nowadays. Sorry if I offend but it's the truth.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the output is decent, i find that it has lots of visible light pollution. I ordered some lens filters, that supposed to fix it. They haven't arrived yet, so i can't comment.

Possible to post any pics of it in use? I realize it might be challenging.

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
Left to right. Chinese p60 drop in from ebay, HDS, Malkoff, Inova x5.
I will post when md2 filter is installed.
Lxn3LTJ.jpg
[/IMG]

From about 10 feet:
DxbVNsL.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
Update:
Finally received woods glass uv band filter lenses to be installed in my UV MD2.
The result is really impressive. Now it matches HDS UV, that I considered to be the most pure. Frankly, there is no great loss in the visible output, it seems very similar to HDS. After filter install things really glow without being surrounded by the unfiltered pollution light. The visible light also became predominately violet.
Be warned, if you have uncontrollable OCD....you will see things otherwise hidden to the naked eye. It includes dozen layers of paint on walls, uneven spots,specks, splashes, prints of all kinds, and that is only beginning and things that look 100% clean and spotless in daylight.. Some materials change color from what they look like under normal light.
Now I want to try fitting a hi/lo ring for a lower mode, for close range applications. It didn't work with 18650, , wonder if 2 x18350 can make a difference.
weQmhl9.jpg
[/IMG]

ARH1y1V.jpg
[/IMG]
9WhP4fi.jpg
[/IMG]
xfc7YNK.jpg
[/IMG]

NCOrNXP.jpg
[/IMG]

61nljIC.jpg
[/IMG]

AJFh84p.jpg
[/IMG]
Ax0T0uV.jpg
[/IMG]

bOPxolI.jpg
[/IMG]
ssdkjq2.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

StagMoose

Enlightened
I really appreciate the pictures. I too have been considering this as an addition to the Malkoff collection.

What is the range/ throw on this light? All the pictures I have seen are of fairly close up use. I imagine that up close will be the primary use for a light like this, but how far away is it useful? I imagine looking for lost items in the grass or woods, or even as a tracking light for hunting.

Thank you in advance!

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
I really appreciate the pictures. I too have been considering this as an addition to the Malkoff collection.

What is the range/ throw on this light? All the pictures I have seen are of fairly close up use. I imagine that up close will be the primary use for a light like this, but how far away is it useful? I imagine looking for lost items in the grass or woods, or even as a tracking light for hunting.

Thank you in advance!

I am not an expert on the subject, but I would say that perceived range would depend on "fluorescent" qualities of the object you are trying to illuminate. Also on the amount of ambient light surrounding the object. The reflector is not huge so the beam pattern is similar to m61 drop in. You really don't want a tight beam with UV, it would be such a pain to aim.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the output is not measured in lumens, what is it measured in? Watts?

And, how much difference did that filtering lense make?