Which LEP has the widest beam width - Acebeam, Weltool, Jetbeam or Nextorch?

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
Which LEP has the widest beam width - Acebeam, Weltool, Jetbeam, Fenix or Nextorch?

Hi everyone - first post here!

I am shopping for one of the new LEPs and I'd like to ask the forum a question: of the lights that are out now, which has the widest beam width? I left the Acebeam W30 out because I wanted a smaller light and in the research I was able to do it looks like it was comparatively narrow anyways. So I'm deciding between the Acebeam W10 gen II, Nextorch, Weltool and Jetbeam.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jrgold

Enlightened
Hi everyone - first post here!

I am shopping for one of the new LEPs and I'd like to ask the forum a question: of the lights that are out now, which has the widest beam width? I left the Acebeam W30 out because I wanted a smaller light and in the research I was able to do it looks like it was comparatively narrow anyways. So I'm deciding between the Acebeam W10 gen II, Nextorch, Weltool and Jetbeam.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome! I don't have experience with all those. I have played with the w10 and w30 briefly at illumn and I seem to remember the w30 having a larger beam. A wide beam isn't really the selling point of an lep though, they are all about a tight beam. If you want a thrower that has a little bit larger of a hotspot maybe look into the notigon in w1 or w2 (not a lep). The w2 will have more spill than the w1. Otherwise acebeam is supposed to be coming out with the w40 and w50 soon, I personally am waiting to see what they are all about before I dive in with an lep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am watching and looking at these as well.

My interest is in a beam that is a good thrower, but a wide beam and very little spill.

As an example, at 100 ft, perhaps 10 - 20 ft dia beam.

I don't mind if the beam is roundish or square ish from an optics viewpoint.

It is for my adult daughter so that she can shine it around the yard before letting the dog out.

In a perfect world USB charged but that isn't a deal breakers.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
the LEP lights are too bright for this. one could hurt their eyes doing so unless "the yard" is many acres or at least 1 acre. I'm just gonna 'throw' my opinion out there, my recommendation would be a typical tir optic or even an adjustable size or fixed size hemispherical aspheric lens. this could give limited spill as to not let others know you are out there but adequate light and beam size to check your surrounding.

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
Well obviously I missed a few lights, one of them the Microfire PL20R, has an twist focus - perfect! Problem is that light is big and heavy. If an updated or slimmed down version were available or another manufacturer offered adjustable focus in a smaller package that would be ideal.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LEP lights are too bright for this. one could hurt their eyes doing so unless "the yard" is many acres or at least 1 acre. I'm just gonna 'throw' my opinion out there, my recommendation would be a typical tir optic or even an adjustable size or fixed size hemispherical aspheric lens. this could give limited spill as to not let others know you are out there but adequate light and beam size to check your surrounding.

Thank you - I think that you are right.

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
Well since my original thread got hijacked lol, no worries :)

Here is an update:

I read from someone who was selling a W2S and owned a Fenix TK30, that they felt the Fenix had a "wider beam."

The reason I want an LEP is to reduce spill. I want to be able to look through foliage or obstructions to a point farther off in the distance without the spill bouncing back at me. I ordered a K1, which although is a very cool light with great throw the intensity of the near light makes it impossible for what I need. BUT I still want to have the hot spot as large as I can get from say, 100m on.

So what I did - ordered an M1X from Banggood with the coupon (under 200.) I figured I would start by getting as long a throw as I can and if the beam is too narrow then go to the Fenix or maybe the W3 pro when its released.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Well since my original thread got hijacked lol, no worries :)

Here is an update:

I read from someone who was selling a W2S and owned a Fenix TK30, that they felt the Fenix had a "wider beam."

The reason I want an LEP is to reduce spill. I want to be able to look through foliage or obstructions to a point farther off in the distance without the spill bouncing back at me. I ordered a K1, which although is a very cool light with great throw the intensity of the near light makes it impossible for what I need. BUT I still want to have the hot spot as large as I can get from say, 100m on.

So what I did - ordered an M1X from Banggood with the coupon (under 200.) I figured I would start by getting as long a throw as I can and if the beam is too narrow then go to the Fenix or maybe the W3 pro when its released.

Here is a beamshot comparison between a bunch of different models, the Fenix and M1X included. https://www.youtube.com/watchv=7GgrddaBNQM

You can see in the video the Fenix has a much larger, more useful hotspot when up close. The M1X beam is incredibly small and intense. I was contemplating the Jetbeam for a while, had the Acebeam W50 not been lingering around in the background, I probably would bought one. Every report and review I've seen has given glowing reviews.. The throw is going to be absolutely insane on that thing.

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that link and help!

The M1X came and here are my first observations.

1) Great build quality. The light looks and feels great. My only complaint would be the cheap tactical ring that's included which is oddly small and not really functional. I just switched it for one of my Kaidomain 18650 silicone tac rings which works and fits absolutely perfectly (if anyone here owns an M1X I highly recommend getting one of these.)

Original Jetbeam tac ring on left, Kaidomain on right:
1JuOjNn.jpg

M1X w/ Kaidomain silicone tactical ring:
QjyHrNC.jpg

2) The beam is very intense (cp has to be over 1 5 million!) and the throw is insane. In fact the beam is so bright that anything inside of 100 feet is very hard to see and is washed out. The sweet spot for this light looks to be about 200 to 400m. At that distance it is much brighter than, say, my K1, the beam is a good width and I have eliminated the issue with spill bouncing back from near objects along the beams path.

3) The 'UI' makes a Malkoff's look complicated lol - Click ON, click OFF.

So in conclusion I love the light. Its size to throw is beyond anything. My problems with spill interference are solved.

Ideally however, I would like it if it had a hi/med/low or even hi/low option. A lower option could mean the light would be much more of service at closer ranges.

And in the end a bigger beam width would help in the 50 - 200m range.

Edit: It appears as if there is a low mode - I just missed it somehow. I am very impressed with this light after using it a bit. I don't think I will order another LEP until the W50 comes out or something similar. I looked at the Weltool W4 and had a chance to buy one before they were sold out but I think the emitter (LEP module) is the same outside sourced one the M1X has. Same throw anyways. And the W3 Pro has only 370k cp - too low to merit spending the money imo. The Olight might be interesting but its the Acebeam I'm most curious about.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Thanks for the report! The Jetbeam is quite a beast. Worst thing is the marketing, hard to even know this light exists!

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
Well I buckled and ordered the Weltool W4. I think there's 3 up on the site right now. It'll be interesting to compare to the W1X. Still looking towards the Acebeams.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Well I buckled and ordered the Weltool W4. I think there's 3 up on the site right now. It'll be interesting to compare to the W1X. Still looking towards the Acebeams.

You are a valuable asset, as it's very hard to get reports on some of these new LEP lights. I very much look forward to hearing how the Jetbeam does against Weltool.

The Acebeam W40 and W50 are a point of frustration, as I really, really want the Jetbeam M1X, especially after your report, but being a new Acebeam fanboy lol, with those two models lingering in the background, that's what's keeping me from pulling the trigger. I can't afford to buy both.

Another point of frustration is there is ZERO info we can gather about them other than a single image of a gift box on an advertisement at Shot Show.

I wouldn't discount the W3 Pro, it's likely to have a much larger hotspot, which would make it more useful closer range, but hurt the candela rating.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Looking over the Weltool W4, it looks really impressive. Only point of contention is the low mode at 187 lumens is a little on the high side. But otherwise it looks great.

The LEP market is starting to pick up speed.

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
I think the M1X low is like 50 lumen or so. I am thinking the higher low in the W4 may be more useful - I will post some comparisons.

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
Got the W4 today. Time to do a W4 M1X side by side

20200719-195845.jpg

Last edited:

P1X4R

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the W4 from a local dealer. I should get it by Tuesday. Very excited! First LEP light.

kolchak

Newly Enlightened
Ok well I am going to take pictures tonight but I can say already a couple things The W4 has a wider beam. You absolutely notice that 80 lumens. The hot spot is noticeably larger BUT its clearly less intense. The M1X is just insane - candella is for sure much higher.

The W4 is a lot heavier - pushing the limit of a 'tactical' light and more like a small spotter with a tail switch. Great quality but the machining (threads, etc) is still more refined in the M1X.

More to come with pics ;-)