newbie needs advice on ARC AAA

nirad

Enlightened
Hello all, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif while browsing this forum I realized I was a "flashaholic" and decided to join. I own many flashlights ...Maglights of various sizes and some Brinkmans, but now want some "premium lights" to add to my collection. The first light I would like to get is an ARC AAA, seems to be a 3-4 week wait on these little lights. What are some of your impressions,observations and/or suggestions of this little torch???

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
get one!

that's all i have to say about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF, your life will be brighter but your wallet will hate you.

To be an official member of the CPF you have to have an Arc AAA on your key chain. You will love it.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc is great. I carry one every day. Just remember that single Nichia LED flashlights are not power houses. They give you a nice flood (not spot) of light that's useful in most dark environments. If there's a lot of stray light around, you might be disappointed at first. In the end, though, you'll probably fall in love with it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Ditto to what's been said. The Arc AAA is the classiest, most pocketable, most robust AAA light out there. It might seem expensive, but you'll spend more trying all the others before you get it anyway. Just get it first.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
JoeShmoe's method of carry is so convenient that you will find yourself reaching for the AAA more often than if it was with a wad of keys. You should, however, consider an LED microlight on your keychain for backup. With a little more consideration you may find that a little pouch on your belt, containing an Arc 4, might be even better. With a slightly larger holster your could carry a good 2X123/xenon thrower. BTW - welcome nirad. Have fun.

14C

Enlightened
For years I carried a Solitaire (the horror!) with a small Swiss Army knife and tossed it (the mag) on the shelf when my Arc AAA P arrived. You can't go wrong.

KingSmono

Enlightened
Something else to think about... I've always carried little coin cell pocket lights, which start out EXTREMELY bright, for their size. However, the brightness quickly fades, as the battery dies. With the Arc AAA, you have 5 HOURS of constant output, followed by MANY MORE of diminished output...and even then, you can find AAAs anywhere, very cheaply!! Can't go wrong with it!

-Smono

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
You NEED an Arc AAA... I love mine, just can't stop fiddling with it all the time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You won't regret it...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one time not so long ago for CPF membership it was almost mandatory to have an ArcAAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

However there are some other lights also worth considering -
or should I say " buying ".......

sizes_S.jpg

I EDC the Dorcy 1LED 1AAA which is mostly well regarded here and priced at only $5.94 at local Wal-Marts.

I previously EDC'd and still very much like the single AA Ultra-G - that I still consider much better built -
I just like the Dorcy's push/momentary tail-switch.

Some threads that might be relevant:

Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

Dorcy 1AAA vs. ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G

ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G

Light Coverage - spill-diameter

Dorcy 1AAA Beam adjustment

sidespill

Enlightened
The ARC AAA is like the gateway drug to ARC products. i know many CPF'ers would agree. Seriously though this little light just grows on you.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, nirad! You won't regret owning this tough, bright, little light. And, as noted, it will start you down this path of madness, and light!

daloosh

nirad

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and useful input! It seems the little ARC is a mainstay of compact beams. I see there is two choices of LEDs. Most agree the difference is minimal in light output, only color of light. I wonder if the engraving is circumferential or linear on the newer models??

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The engraving on my new Arc AAA says "ARC" around the head. I was surprised that's all it says. Not AAA, not made in USA, just ARC. Hmmmmm..... If it were up to me it would say "Arc AAA Made in USA" If there's room, I'd also have their web address on it.

paulr

Flashaholic
The lettering was originally circumferential but that had to be dropped because of litigation from M*glite which claims to have trademarked circumferential lettering around the head of a flashlight. This is the type of reason that a lot of CPF'ers avoid buying M*g products. The lettering then became linear, but that was dropped because it was (in the opinion of some) gadawful-ugly. The current lettering looks attractive and is apparently non-circumferential enough to sidestep the purpoted M*g trademark, but at the cost of conveying less information. I suppose another alternative would be circumferential lettering at the tail end.