New Princeton LEDs

funk

Enlightened
I just returned from a trade show and saw 2 Princeton Tec LED handhelds - supposedly now shipping......
One is a Tec 40 body with a single LED and an "optical" lens..... throws a wicked beam. It is really very cool - they call it Impact and it will retail for around 30. The lens is looks to be of extraordinary quality.

Another is a 3 LED cluster called Attitude - it is in a translucent Rage body...... very nice - retails at 20 bucks.

Also saw the Switchback....... it uses somekind of computerized chip - it is very trick - based on what I saw - it will be worth the wait (another 8-12 weeks)

Spork

Enlightened
do you know any online stores that are selling them yet? they look interesting.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funk - Which beam did you prefer? Please elaborate. Thanks.

funk

Enlightened
The beams of these two lights are not comparable.

The Attitude with its 3 LED cluster is a basic diffused LED beam. It is bright, but lacks the ability to throw distance.

The Impact is a strong white beam that creates a perfect circle of light - Princeton had a "light tube" to shine the beam into. It was, I'd estimate, 10 feet in distance, and really showed that it is a focused LED beam with the ability to throw a beam a far distance with good power. Even in the really bright, well lit hall, you could easily see the beam 15 feet away on a wall. The light looked almost unatural, but when directed at a target, the light was really impressive in color and usability.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
interesting but why get them? luxions are brighter cheaper and more fun.i love my db 4AAA luxion retofit
grin.gif
grin.gif
cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
For those interested, I just got a Princeton Tec Impact.

The LED beam reminds me a lot of the AccuLux 2000 but it's somewhat narrower and substantially brighter.

Beam profile is circular. Bright white central circle with several faint bluish traces through it, dimmer but crisp white corona starting about 80% out from center. Very thin blue peripheral edge. Essentially, the beam is dual-intensity, with no obnoxious "bullseye" rings or dark spots.

I'll need to dig up my Brinkmann Long Life and compare that.

Then set up the camera.

You know you're in trouble when you need a flashlight to find a flashlight...
grin.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig - The Princeton seems to have a similarly sized, but brighter primary beam than the Brinkman. Does it have rings like the Brinkman or does the light cutoff right at the primary beam or is there an even fade off from the primary. The pic obviously didn't capture the secondary beams (rings) of the Brinkman, so I thought we may be missing something with the Princeton too.

If it weren't for the secondary beams of the Brinkman, I wouldn't use that flashlight because it would be far too narrow. Despite being in rings, they really do help lightup the target area.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
rolleyes.gif
Never mind. I jumped to your pics too quickly and didn't read your previous message. Sounds like a great light!

funk

Enlightened
Craig,
Cool pics - not sure that I understand the second one though - can you explain.
Thanks!

Brock

Flashaholic
I just got the Attitude, it is the 3 LED light with the 4AAA body. It is nice, but does sort of make the head of the light "glow" since the body of the light is transulucent. It isn't bad though. It is brighter then all of the single LED light, except maybe for the Pelican, which is overdiven almost to the point of self distruction. I like it and it isn't to expensive. I wish it only use 3 AAA cells instead of using a resistor though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funk:
Craig,
Cool pics - not sure that I understand the second one though - can you explain.
Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took the lens off the Impact and put it on my camera, then took pictures of some loose LEDs through it.
That was done only to show it is of high quality; more so than one might expect to find in a plastic flashlight.

funk

Enlightened
Ahhh, Gotcha - that is actually very impressive!

The guy from Princeton was telling me that the lens is of a quality comparable to that of an eye glass, or more closely to contact lens, as the lens focuses diffused vision - the lens focuses the diffused LED light. He was very clear to say that the lens was not a "magnafying lens" - but a specific optics.

I guess that it is specific to the placement of the LED - therefore, for all of you guys, it may not work with the LS in the best way. I wonder who will try first? I look forward to seeing!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
Craig - The Princeton seems to have a similarly sized, but brighter primary beam than the Brinkman. Does it have rings like the Brinkman or does the light cutoff right at the primary beam or is there an even fade off from the primary. The pic obviously didn't capture the secondary beams (rings)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does have them, but they really aren't noticeable until it starts to get dark.
Turning up the camera's exposure will also make them visible.

compare2.jpg

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the ring picture, Craig. Looks like a much nicer beam. There does appear to be just one ring. It's between the main beam and the secondary.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funk:

I guess that it is specific to the placement of the LED - therefore, for all of you guys, it may not work with the LS in the best way. I wonder who will try first? I look forward to seeing!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cyanls.jpg

The LS LED and lens were held just above the camera, which itself is about 20" from the wall.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Please...tell us more about the switchback? What's the idea behind it? How many batteries? What size?

Thanks!

funk

Enlightened
Craig - the last picture is the Princeton Lens with and LS?????

Smigel

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Brock that the light going throught the body of the Attitude is somewhat annoying. I took mine apart and painted the back of the "reflector" portion of the light with some black paint and it helps to reduce the light going through the back of the light considerably. All in all, it is a nice and somewhat compact light.