Surefire P6 cutting out.

Roger11

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire P6. It is old. I have had a long time. I have replaced the original bulb with an LED drop in, years ago. In the past year the flashlight would run for a while then cut out. As soon as it cuts out, I can turn it on again but then after a minute or so it cuts out. When I say it cuts out there is a slight glow in the LED but not enough light to illuminate any thing. I have cleaned it and replaced the tail cap to no avail. Any advice? Thanks.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a new drop-in.

Sounds like something's heating up and causing yours to fail.

There are loads of different drop-in's available.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of stating the bl**din' obvious, you have checked the batteries, haven't you?

Otherwise, as Dave says, stick a new drop in in there. Lots to choose from.
don't dump the 6P as it's a great host and there's little to go wrong with it that can't be fixed.
P

yammerschooner

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff drop-in I put into mine when I converted my 6p from incandescent has taken a lot of abuse as I've beat it against the insides of duck boats, against various hunting equipment, and strapped it to the front of my bicycle over the years. I've gotten my @$45 out of it anyway.

I would probably go the same route if the Malkoff were to die, as it has already outlasted two convoy c8s and two convoy m1s that I purchased at the same time.

Roger11

Newly Enlightened
I have recently replaced the drop in and yes the batteries are good. I am using rcr123, rechargeable, slightly higher voltage.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've replaced the tail cap and drop in recently and you are having problems then either the new tailcap or drop in is faulty

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the tailcap off and short the negative side of the battery to the bare aluminium body of the light with something metal.
If it lights up it's the tailcap, and if it doesn't it's a fault with the drop in itself or the way that ir's seated in the head. Unscrew the head and check that the drop in is seated properly, and if you have one, use a DMM to check continuity between the head and body. Have you another drop in to try or have you an old working incan P60 module to try?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Try stretching the spring on the LED module. Sometimes that works. Hold spring against the module with pliers while tugging the other end with pliers to prevent ripping the spring out of the module. If that doesn't work try the tail cap spring same way.

Roger11

Newly Enlightened
Peter Y: If I stick a paper clip to the battery and side of the light, it lights up. When using the light and it stops working after a minute say. I switch it off and on, it works again. No DMM yet. I need to get one.

Bykfixer: I just now stretched the wider diameter spring at the front. There is a narrow diatater one attached to the module, should it be stretched as well?

Latest posts